PDA

View Full Version : Free eBook For 8 Crochet Patterns...

Tussiemussies
7-13-13, 3:42am
There are a few really nice patterns included...

http://www.allfreecrochetafghanpatterns.com/Throw-Patterns/8-Crochet-Ideas-for-Crochet-Throws-Simple-Crochet-Patterns-and-Crochet-Blanket-Patterns-eBook/ml/1

Jilly
7-13-13, 1:27pm
I like that there is a beginner's skills pattern in there that is not boring, and happens to be my favorite.

I have serious lace crochet envy, and one of my fiber club friends has been looking for a pattern that is easy. I think that the strawberry lace one might be just the one.

I like the crochet-in-the-round one, as well. It provides the most coverage at the front edge, and does not have the bulk at the sides like a square or rectangular lap blanket would have. It also has the shortest instructions; a benefit for me. And, you really could use just about any crochet stitch to do the whole thing, as well using only one strand of yard to make it a lighter weight.

Of all the magnificent links you have found and shared, for me this might be the best. Well, until the next link you post. :)

Tussiemussies
7-14-13, 4:02am
That sounds great Jilly, I also love lace crochet. So, so pretty. My grandmother had made intricate table toppers that are just beautiful.

I have to look over the beginner's pattern. Might be something for me to do now too! Do you knit more than crochet? Just wondering what your expertise is. That sounds fun to be in a fiber-arts club! :)

Jilly
7-14-13, 9:52am
I taught myself to knit and crochet, oh, maybe 30 years ago from a book for which I paid full price. Go figure, but I made a bunch of scarves, and a scarf hat for my daughter. I also bought a book on baby hats and one on knitting those intricate patterns in sweaters and other things. Gave that last one away. Then, a barter with a friend who has/had merino sheep and alpacas brought both fibers into play and I made myself a scarf and mittens. I misread the directions and ended up with mitts that worked only for someone with fingers at least fifteen inches long. They were lovely and warm, though. Wonder what happened to those.

Two years ago one of our children's librarians wanted to learn to knit, and started a fiber club. Since it was on my full day there, I joined. That librarian left to move to another municipal job down the street and never had a chance to attend the club she started. I am still there once in a while to knit, more often just to sit and talk with everyone. The club members have been such inspirations and help with figuring out what to do. They are my expertise, along with instructions I find on-line.

That is why your links are so important to me.

I can pretty much figure out what to do, but challenging projects stress me and there are many things I would love to make, but will not attempt. That is my failing, not any part of anything or anyone else. The support and friends I have gained from the fiber club are immeasurable. I credit their support as part of my recovery when I finally left my old life and went public, if you will, about what that life did to me.

I have made a serious ton of washcloths, many of my own design (not of which I can duplicate),which everyone calls dishcloths, which I do not because dishcloths are foul if you do not have the resources and equipment to wash them every day. Please do not trash me about this. I have tried to improve my relationship with dishcloths. I have communed with them, totally accept that other people have good relationships with them, find them useful and are completely puzzled about how they make me shudder. So, I make washcloths, which I love so, so, so much and use all the time, but only once before they join the gang in the dirty laundry basket.

I have mastered the granny square and all of her relations. I decided to make one, huge, rectangular granny, just to see if I could. I thought that with a terry cloth backing it would make a great bath mat. It is really cute, but unfinished.

I have made hats for my grandsons, the ones with ear flaps (figuring out my own pattern for not having to attach either ear flap. They actually look like hats. I still make scarves. Socks are not on my list, even though they are super cool, even though they are reported to last nearly forever and are easy to mend. I saw one of the club members working on a heel and immediately realized that a heel is pretty much on the same learning curve as a mitten's thumb, and just as immediately eliminated socks as a potential project.

One of our members takes on the most complicated projects, works them forever and masters them completely. Her stuff is amazing. The others produce at a stunning and mind-boggling pace. They knit and crochet with abandon, seamlessly melding conversation with glances at their instructions. They have electronic pads or notebooks with their patterns on them. So cool.

About twenty years ago, p0re-Pinterest, I saw some tiny sweaters knitted as holiday ornaments. I could not follow the instructions, so made up my own process. I still make them once in a while, as they are an absorbing process and they are so darn cute. I give them away as quickly as I make them.

So, anyway, I am self and friend taught. I think that a knitting or crocheting class, like an actual class would be nice, but I would drive everyone else insane, so I stick to what is working for me.

The club is great, but the membership has dwindled and they are thinking of disbanding. I wish I could attend more often and will really miss these fabulous women, but, you know, everyone is short on time and whatever happens, at least I had them in my life for a time. They share that there are two more informal clubs in the area, so if I want to stay knitted in fiber relationships, there are options.

My grandmother made lace, too. One of the few regrets that I have is that I was not interested enough to ask her to teach tatting and other lace-making skills to me.

What kind of long and stringy fiber things do you like? Do?