PDA

View Full Version : dream confusion

Zoe Girl
7-15-13, 12:12pm
I have a lot of dreams, especially when I meditate on a regular basis like now. I usually check the 'dream moods' for a couple key points about what symbols may mean, however it works with one word input rather than a longer description. Then I tried to look other places and most of them are discussion boards which irritated me,

So the one thing from this dream last night that is sticking with me is the falling theme, but some of the falling was my mom carelessly pushing me (like not watching where she was going), at another point the car fell into a cement alley area, and one time I had the choice to fall or not, so I did because what was below seemed more pleasant but I landed on my feet (think amazing Matrix scene, hahaha). So there is information about falling dreams, and if you land what does that mean, but what about choosing to fall and then landing on your feet? I has a sense of it but if anyone knows dream interpretation i would appreciate insight (plus do I get to keep the handsome guy in the dream?)

Xmac
7-15-13, 2:56pm
Zoe, your post reminded me of the Buddhist Koan, "how do you step off a 100 foot pole", which is possibly about the profound simplicity of fearlessness.

I don't know anything about dream interpretation, but I can't help but think that the falling is the fundamental fear of the ego, especially because your meditating regularly. Increasing awareness of mind awake is increasing awareness asleep, which may be why you chose to fall: diminishing fear.

I've heard it said that 'every character in your dreams is you'. Your mom could represent you not tending to your own safety. The handsome man could be your attractiveness, whether it's physical or spiritual.

I have a lot of dreams about becoming airborne or trying. There seems to be some universal significance related to gravity and weightlessness. I heard Alan Watts quote someone that said that angels can fly because they have a lightness (enlightenment?) in which they don't take themselves (ego?) seriously and if that's true just imagine how light their god would be. The word gravity even has that meaning of seriousness....

Sad Eyed Lady
7-15-13, 4:03pm
I've heard it said that 'every character in your dreams is you'.

That is exactly what I was told in a dream study group I attended once. You are not only every character but every object if I remember correctly.

Xmac
7-15-13, 6:07pm
That is exactly what I was told in a dream study group I attended once. You are not only every character but every object if I remember correctly.

Yup, I don't doubt that it's every object too. I would think that whatever role the object played is a characteristic of oneself. For example, an unfamiliar home that is like a maze might represent our own confusion and strangeness to ourselves or others.

I once asked Byron Katie (my "guru") if she had lucid dreams and she said she was dreaming me right now. This takes the notion of dream even further to what we think of as reality. In doing her Work, I find that everyone around me mirrors aspects of me all the time.

Whether it's the daydream, night dream, dream within dream, reality dream, fantasy, or reality suspension distractions like video games, movies, sports, theater, I think mind is a non-stop dream/reality factory. The significance of any of them is what we make it to be.