PDA

View Full Version : Quote

Xmac
7-21-13, 6:27pm
Just heard this....

Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary, use words. -St. Francis of Assisi

catherine
7-21-13, 8:02pm
Just heard this....

Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary, use words. -St. Francis of Assisi

Yes, I've heard that one! It's great.

Xmac
7-22-13, 2:04am
You know I heard something else recently which I didn't know: historically in the East, large ears were frequently used on statues to designate wisdom. I think most statues of the Buddha have long ears; maybe all of them.

I think this ties in well with the St. Francis quote in that the transmission of spirituality (as contrasted with religion), is done by an alert, non-judging, open and knowing presence. I also remember Eckhart Tolle quoting someone as having said, 'the highest spiritual attainment is a silent radiant knowing without saying anything'....something like that.

I have a theory about it too.

I have been with those who I consider to be "enlightened" (close enough) and I have listened, without judgment, to those who have relayed to me what I have already experienced. I notice that when someone speaks out of a habituated, conditioned thought pattern (a discernment of mine) and it is received without a thought to confirm or deny it, they invariably find a deeper more insightful answer or explanation, in that moment, especially if the listener is curious as to what will come next. I find that to be profound by itself. I see that the idea or concept is absorbed, in a way, by the listener's presence and leaves space for the speaker's own Buddha nature to arise in the form of true wisdom. The notion that one's wisdom can be elicited by another is, for me, a new and fascinating concept.

In both, the Work of Byron Katie and in Non-violent Communication, focused, open listening is frequently used for a transformation to take form. I'm sure there must be other practices and traditions that account for this, and utilize this connection of soul to soul.

Of course, there is also the living example of the inspired individual in their daily deeds too, which can hardly be overstated. It is a potent way to learn. It is more obvious but no less important.

I like that!