PDA

View Full Version : Smoked out

Tiam
7-30-13, 9:39pm
Southern Oregon is on fire. The fires are probably about 60 miles away from me but there is no air. It's a thick haze of smoke, right in front of you, smelling of burning wood. The sun is barely visible and blood red. Air conditions are considered hazardous right now. Can't leave the house. Been days and will probably continue to be many more days.:(:(

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/p480x480/995447_416019561848500_1060670679_n.jpg

puglogic
7-30-13, 9:41pm
So sorry, Tiam.

We went through this earlier this year and most of last summer....really awful.

Hang in there.

Tiam
7-30-13, 9:43pm
So sorry, Tiam.

We went through this earlier this year and most of last summer....really awful.

Hang in there.

It's not unusual here, fires are an annual event. Plus I grew up in California. This one is probably the worst I've ever been in.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/480027_416417661808690_1439581701_n.jpg

Tussiemussies
7-30-13, 9:48pm
So very sorry Tiam. It must be very hard to live like this, without fresh air to breathe. Is there any chance you could get an air purifier for the house? We had bought one for different reasons and it really purifies the air. Hope this will be over soon for everyone's sake.

Tiam
7-30-13, 9:50pm
Hmmmm, hadn't thought of that.

Tiam
7-30-13, 11:43pm
Another example
https://sphotos-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/p480x480/1002307_10152094231704815_1582361730_n.jpg

ApatheticNoMore
7-31-13, 1:17am
I've heard air conditioners can help clean the air somewhat (provided they aren't just blowing in even more smoke). They did seem to work (but I may have had central air then). Although my first advise is always leave the area temporarily, but that assumes that's actually physically possible.

Tiam
7-31-13, 1:38am
I've heard air conditioners can help clean the air somewhat (provided they aren't just blowing in even more smoke). They did seem to work (but I may have had central air then). Although my first advise is always leave the area temporarily, but that assumes that's actually physically possible.

These fires can burn for weeks. Leaving isn't an option. The nearest escape would be to go to the coast. I imagine that campgrounds and motels are doing record business.

ToomuchStuff
7-31-13, 3:56am
I am sorry for your loss, whoever discovers Tiam's body, since there is NO AIR. At least since there is NO AIR, there is no fire, as it requires oxygen.

CathyA
7-31-13, 6:38am
I am sorry for your loss, whoever discovers Tiam's body, since there is NO AIR. At least since there is NO AIR, there is no fire, as it requires oxygen.

???

Be safe Tiam.

Rosemary
7-31-13, 7:18am
We lived in Phoenix when a nearby mountain had a forest fire. The smoke lingered over the Phx valley for many days... it is very unpleasant. Hope they soon get the OR fires under control and that you can get some fresh air! Perhaps the wind will change and blow the smoke away?

razz
7-31-13, 9:16am
That does sound really scary. I think that TMS was being a little spoofy about the actual phrasing of words but let it go it was meant kindly.

Gregg
7-31-13, 9:20am
Be safe Tiam! We went through similar conditions in CO a few times. It sucks. The air purifier is a great idea, we had 3 of them that we moved from bedrooms at night to living areas during the day when it got really thick. The ones we used were called "Ionic Breeze" and were sold at Sharper Image. Not sure if they are still available since SI is out of business, but they worked great. I'm sure any unit you could find will be helpful. If you have central air you can get filters that are much finer than the standard fiberglass units. There may be some benefit to that, but it would probably still smell smoky...

reader99
7-31-13, 1:46pm
When we had wildfires here in 1989 (FL) I had towels stuffed along all the cracks under the doors and windows and ran the HEPA air cleaner at its top speed. That did help quite a bit.

Tiam
7-31-13, 2:42pm
???

Be safe Tiam.

I think that was just sardonic humor. I'm in no physical danger. Just ...cough....choking.

Tiam
7-31-13, 2:44pm
We lived in Phoenix when a nearby mountain had a forest fire. The smoke lingered over the Phx valley for many days... it is very unpleasant. Hope they soon get the OR fires under control and that you can get some fresh air! Perhaps the wind will change and blow the smoke away?

We have a funny little valley here. Last year (or the year before) the valley filled with smoke. There were no local fires. Where was the smoke coming from? Forest Fires in Siberia!!! A major inversion layer and lack of wind or rain makes it just sit here.

Tiam
7-31-13, 2:46pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1074188_10201673013697015_590271031_o.jpg

CathyA
7-31-13, 3:09pm
How ironic Tiam..........now it should say "Its the climate change, stupid!" ;)

Are people wearing masks when they go out? They should be.

Tiam
7-31-13, 6:59pm
How ironic Tiam..........now it should say "Its the climate change, stupid!" ;)

Are people wearing masks when they go out? They should be.

Some are. But to be honest, air purifiers, filters and masks are sold out.

SiouzQ.
7-31-13, 7:46pm
Wow, that looks so extreme and dangerous (I just live in boring ol' Michigan)! Be careful; I can't imagine having to conduct your daily life in those conditions...

Tiam
8-1-13, 12:06am
I tried wearing a particulate mask. It's like breathing through a heavy scarf. You start to feel like you're not getting any oxygen either way.

reader99
8-1-13, 7:35am
Some are. But to be honest, air purifiers, filters and masks are sold out.

How about online, like Amazon?

Tiam
8-1-13, 5:44pm
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1094850_10152103082478312_609316043_n.jpg

CathyA
8-1-13, 8:07pm
All different kinds of masks! Nice group of girls. Are you in the pic, Tiam?

Tiam
8-1-13, 11:38pm
All different kinds of masks! Nice group of girls. Are you in the pic, Tiam?

No, actually I live about 30 miles south of this town. The town is closer to the fire, but my town has worse smoke and unhealthy air due to the nature of the fire. I just picked it because it illustrates pretty well, the issues. They are saying this is going to be months. Probably won't clear till late October. My exercise regime is all outside as I don't go to a gym or own exercise equipment. I haven't done anything or gone out to do more than water the lawn for a week. And looking forward to two months more of this. I was getting my blood pressure down, and hopefully increasing my good cholesterol, building endurance and feeling good. Now I don't know what to do. I did a bit of weights and bands inside. In fact I'm a bit sore! I confess I'm not good at sticking with indoor house exercise. And I have a very bad knee and need low impact exercise.

CathyA
8-2-13, 7:23am
How frustrating it must be for you Tiam. And I hope the people in your area don't end up with some pulmonary problems because of the smoke.

Do you have an exercise bike? I tried using our exercise bike for my knees (very little meniscus left), and it caused me to have sciatica problems. I ended up buying a "Pedler", which is just pedals.
I put it beside the bed and use it there, where the bed is very soft on my behind! It isn't really aerobic exercise, but its great for keeping your knees working better.
How about some exercise videos to work with?

Kestrel
8-2-13, 11:19am
We lived in Medford at one time, but no fires then. Great area to live!

Have been through similar many times as well, so really sympathize with you all. DH fought fires every summer when he worked for the Forest Service and Park Service (tho firefighting wasn't his primary job; when there are fires, everyone who can or wants to, goes). Please keep the firefighters in your thoughts and prayers -- that's one heck of a scary job (as DH only told me after-the-fact; but I "knew" anyway) ... they put their lives on the line to save the forests ... and the urban interface. Always remember Smokey Bear -- my hero!

reader99
8-3-13, 8:33am
No, actually I live about 30 miles south of this town. The town is closer to the fire, but my town has worse smoke and unhealthy air due to the nature of the fire. I just picked it because it illustrates pretty well, the issues. They are saying this is going to be months. Probably won't clear till late October. My exercise regime is all outside as I don't go to a gym or own exercise equipment. I haven't done anything or gone out to do more than water the lawn for a week. And looking forward to two months more of this. I was getting my blood pressure down, and hopefully increasing my good cholesterol, building endurance and feeling good. Now I don't know what to do. I did a bit of weights and bands inside. In fact I'm a bit sore! I confess I'm not good at sticking with indoor house exercise. And I have a very bad knee and need low impact exercise.

My indoor exercise had improved since I discovered YouTube. They have enough for something different every day. I like the seated ones, I can do them in between what I'm doing online, or during TV commercials.

larknm
8-5-13, 7:40pm
To combat sensitivities the re-emereged big time from smoke from our fires this summer, I used a mask and got used to breathing with it on, went on a bland diet of lamb (first time in years), carrots, white rice, and yams, prescribed by my environmental illness doctor. For four days. Then all symptoms have gone except for burning tip of tongue if I eat anything remotely not bland. I would LOVE to know the brands of all the air purifiers you all like--I prefer less expensive and with a filter that doesn't cost $100 to replace every year (hopefully one I could wash myself).

RosieTR
8-13-13, 11:14pm
My sympathies, Tiam! We've only had one bad smoky day this summer, so I have been very thankful. What worked last summer: shutting up the house, going to places that had A/C and filtration systems (work, movies, etc), making sure the car settings were for recirc and not outside air. If you have A/C, running that with a good filter may work. Evap coolers, obviously, exacerbate the problem. If there's an indoor pool anywhere, that may be an exercise option, if you can swing the entrance fee. Or maybe you can talk to some local gyms and see if they'll do a summer membership. As for the masks, they are probably not worth the $. Surgical masks are useless and N95s are designed to filter stuff like pet dander, not stuff in smoke. You would need a respirator (this according to DH who had to do firefighting training in the Navy). So, save your $ there. Some people try a damp bandanna around their face, which probably doesn't do a whole lot for the smoke but at least cools you off!
We were lucky in that the wind usually blew the smoke away in the afternoon and early evening when we could do some stuff outside and open up the house, then it would wake me about 2am when the wind shifted and the swamp cooler started funneling the smoke in. I'm not sure what the wind patterns are where you are, though in a low valley and with smoke on more than one side, it sounds like you aren't getting a break. Sending rain thoughts your way!

Tiam
8-14-13, 1:54am
We are blessed at the moment. There has been some relief. For weeks I stayed inside as the air quality readings read hazardous, and dangerous. Now we are at yellow which is moderate. We can see stars at night! The sun in the day! The actual sky! It's still smokey, but I'm able to get back on the bike and do some bike rides early in the days. I've still got a chesty cough and feel headachey and lethargic, but it's improving. The day I originated this OP the air was seriously as if you fireplace had back up into your house. Only it was the entire world. I'm crossing my fingers it won't get like that again!

razz
8-14-13, 6:51am
We are blessed at the moment. There has been some relief. For weeks I stayed inside as the air quality readings read hazardous, and dangerous. Now we are at yellow which is moderate. We can see stars at night! The sun in the day! The actual sky! It's still smokey, but I'm able to get back on the bike and do some bike rides early in the days. I've still got a chesty cough and feel headachey and lethargic, but it's improving. The day I originated this OP the air was seriously as if you fireplace had back up into your house. Only it was the entire world. I'm crossing my fingers it won't get like that again!

Tiam, this sounds so awful to experience. You are dealing with a serious situation but I don't have a good grasp on it as yet. John Mauldin had a reference to this issue in his weekly newsletter.

A quote:
The New Normal — Some Expensive Consequences [by] one of the world's preeminent climatologists Evelyn Browning Gariss

Excerpted from The Browning Newsletter, August 2013, Vol. 38, No. 8

SUMMARY

From the Western wildfires to the Great Lakes, from insurance to transportation, real estate values, and fuel, the "New Normal" is having a major negative impact on certain sectors of the North American economy.

Long-term planning, using 20+ years of data, is biased towards climate conditions that no longer exist. If long-term planners look at 60-80 years of climate data, they should make different and better decisions.

Climate change is affecting the bottom line. The changes in two long-term trends are raising costs and cutting profits for a number of industries. As long as each bad year is accepted as a one-off, rather than the New Normal, these "unexpected" losses will continue.

• THE ATLANTIC – The waters in the Gulf Stream are flowing faster, carrying more hot tropical waters along US shores.

• THE PACIFIC – The Pacific has a 50-60 year cycle, called the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO), that shifts warmer waters through the Northern Pacific. Starting in 1999 and tipping in 2006, the PDO has shifted cooler waters to US shores. Although occasionally interrupted by a warm El Niño, this creates drier Western weather. [Figure 1]

History shows that both trends will last another 15 to 20 years. We are starting to see the impact of these changes.

Tiam
8-14-13, 10:46am
Today as of 7.00 AM the air quality is at 79.(pollutant particulates) That's considered in the moderate zone. To be in the good or safe zone, it needs to be below 51. 79 isn't so bad, about the level of a mildly polluted city. Right now, though, by the air quality charts, our little neck of the woods is higher than most places except Central Los Angeles. It will probably rise as the day goes on. The good side is that it is no longer hazardous.

Tussiemussies
8-14-13, 2:22pm
I'm so glad that this condition is improving for you, just wish it was to the point where your chest and lethargic feeling would heal.

RosieTR
8-14-13, 11:14pm
I'm so glad that this condition is improving for you, just wish it was to the point where your chest and lethargic feeling would heal.

The good part is that unless you have a major asthma attack or something, the effects are generally short term. Firefighters get stuff like smokers do, but ordinary people who have to deal with a smoky summer generally recover fairly soon after the smoke goes away. Even at the Los Angeles level you're talking about, if you can see the visibility is pretty low (less than a mile) you're likely to have any of: cough, sore throat, headache, shortness of breath, maybe trouble sleeping. Basically feel like you're coming down with a cold all the time, which sucks. Sending rain thoughts your way!

Tussiemussies
8-14-13, 11:28pm
The good part is that unless you have a major asthma attack or something, the effects are generally short term. Firefighters get stuff like smokers do, but ordinary people who have to deal with a smoky summer generally recover fairly soon after the smoke goes away. Even at the Los Angeles level you're talking about, if you can see the visibility is pretty low (less than a mile) you're likely to have any of: cough, sore throat, headache, shortness of breath, maybe trouble sleeping. Basically feel like you're coming down with a cold all the time, which sucks. Sending rain thoughts your way!

That is really terrible for people having to live in those conditions. Yes, sending rain thoughts your way...

Tiam
8-1-15, 1:15am
And once again. Night time temperature is near 90 degrees and we have this:https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11836873_10154109800353312_7344013337216085028_n.j pg?oh=80591f1054b8fa7bad3a2f75f87e358d&oe=564200D4

Float On
8-1-15, 8:36am
Sorry you are going through that again. The Canada fires earlier this summer, we saw the results down here in SW MO - hazy skies, red sun.

rodeosweetheart
8-1-15, 9:13am
Tiam, Lark, I have had wonderful results with this cheap one from Target, also available on Amazon, by Holmes:
http://www.amazon.com/Holmes-HEPA-Tower-Purifier-HAP424-U/dp/B0000DK35C

I have extreme asthma and can actually sleep for more than 2 hours if this one is on.

Do upgrade to the most expensive filter, not the one it comes with--Target had them right there on the shelf and they are labeled for smoke.

Also bought ones for 39 dollars for the bedrooms.

We used to have a very expensive one from Sharper Image and this works as well or better, in my experience.

CathyA
8-1-15, 9:14am
So sorry Tiam!!

Zoe Girl
8-1-15, 9:47am
i live in colorado, i remember when i lived in boulder in college it was like this, the whole valley filled with smoke and just settled. it all stank and was hard to breath. it didn't last as long as you are expecting however so that sounds really difficult. things like exercise when you were getting into the habit of it, dang it that stinks.

i was on my drive home late last night and i saw a cigarette thrown out of a car window, that has caused fires before here! it made me really aware that people don't know that. my kids all smoke and i have trained them to at least throw away anything in the car as much as i hate smoking overall

Tiam
8-1-15, 3:29pm
I can guarantee every air filter is sold out in town. Perhaps I'll buy one for the future when they are available again.

ApatheticNoMore
8-1-15, 5:24pm
I can guarantee every air filter is sold out in town. Perhaps I'll buy one for the future when they are available again.

sounds sensible. Be prepared! :) Also running A/C (whether or not it's needed for heat) will filter the outside air some, they've even recommended it when there's been smoke here. Like I've said the smoke at a certain point seems to begin to effect your very sanity, just the being unable to really fulfill the most basic biological function of BREATHING, just takes a heavy toll. Leave the area for a vacation for a few days is best (I took a sick day when there was smoke - not even a vacation just a day trip AWAY - people at work guessed it was really the smoke and that I wasn't really sick - well yes ... couldn't deny it - but it was as bad as any cold and several hours of breathing real air again helped).

Sorry it's burning again, when I say I"m glad to be in Cali comparatively .... uh ... The new normal, heck in a handbasket, we're all doomed really.

Teacher Terry
8-1-15, 5:54pm
We live in northern Nevada & have had this problem many times. 2 years ago I was stuck in the house for a month because of my asthma. We have been lucky this summer so far.

Gardenarian
8-2-15, 12:59am
Hey Tiam,

So sorry you've been going through this all week, and with this intense heat as well.

The smoke just hit Ashland today and it looks like your photos. Bad stuff.

I'm leaving for Europe on Monday, so luckily will only have one more day of the smoke. I sure hope they get the fires under control soon.

Tiam
8-9-18, 9:34pm
2417 3 years later.

Teacher Terry
8-9-18, 9:51pm
You really have it much worse than we do. I have moderate asthma so never out for more than a hour and some days not at all if it’s really bad.

Gardnr
8-10-18, 7:42am
2417 3 years later. This is what it looks like here.:(

Teacher Terry
8-10-18, 12:48pm
You both have it much worse.

Gardnr
8-10-18, 4:50pm
And to boot, it's going to be 108 today (104 officially at 245 pm...currently 109 on my patio.......sigh............not the records we need to break. Idaho is lucky. Our fires have been "small" compared to past years.

26 square miles----yes, that is small and currently the largest!

It's just flat icky outside the doors....thank you God I can afford AC!

Tiam
8-11-18, 2:00pm
You really have it much worse than we do. I have moderate asthma so never out for more than a hour and some days not at all if it’s really bad.

Same. I don't go out. At ALL. Only to get to the car or move the sprinkler so the plants don't die.

Tiam
9-12-20, 2:14am
And now the smoke is back. I live at the site of the Almeda fire in Oregon. There are so many fires going on every side of us that we are blanketed in smoke, more toxic than 2018. I don't go out.

Rogar
9-12-20, 9:07am
I hope the situations improve for everyone.

Our fires here haven't had the national coverage of the big west coast fires, but we had the largest fire in the state's history and another the 5th largest. The first seems to be mostly under control and the second has had several inches of recent snow that has slowed it down. There's been a total of maybe two or three weeks when I've not wanted to exercise outdoors. The local news had a feature on a mid-sized northerner town that was titled, nighttime in the day comes to town. On top of the fires, they are calling it the hottest summer and hottest August ever. Then a few days ago there was a freak early snow storm that also set some records. I have a day or two of yard work cleaning up downed branches. Before the snow, the entire state was in some degree of official drought for the first time ever. I'm not sure how things are now.

A friend has family in Cedar Rapids, IA. A few weeks ago they had a "derecho", of high winds. News said it damaged 10 million acres of crops and at least some damage to most of the homes in Cedar Rapids. Ten million seemed so fantastic I had to verify it a second time. Not to mention the record temperatures in much of the southwest.

It's been a wild summer in the west. There's weather and there's climate. I think a lot of these extreme events fall into the climate category.

razz
9-12-20, 9:32am
I hadn't heard about the 'derecho' in Iowa. That is really serious on so many levels.

Tradd
9-12-20, 10:06am
The derecho went from Iowa all the way to OH. It spawned up to 15 tornadoes in the Chicago area.

iris lilies
9-12-20, 11:22am
The derecho went from Iowa all the way to OH. It spawned up to 15 tornadoes in the Chicago area.
Fortunately, our crops in northern Iowa Iowa were spared, but it came very close.

KayLR
9-12-20, 12:19pm
My neighborhood looks like a foggy morning in November, but it's yellow---and it's smoke. I'm about 40 miles from the fires, both to the north and south. There was one closer, about 20 miles, but it's been contained. We don't normally have fires on the west side of the Cascades like this. We do have them, just not like this.

Greg44
9-14-20, 12:33am
As the crow flies - we a just a few miles from the fires here in Oregon. The smoke is thick, the smell comes through the bathroom and kitchen vents, the garage, etc. While inconvenienced, I have a home. Photos are beginning to come out from the fire zones and it is total destruction. Scenes similar to what have become all to common in California. Currently they say the fire is only 5% contained, but the wind has turned it back on itself and the increase moisture in the air is also helping. Maybe rain early this week. I have never seen it this bad. Sadly unless the rain washes it away, the only other solution is that the wind blows it away, sorry Boise, Salt Lake City, etc.

JaneV2.0
9-14-20, 12:38am
My friends in Oregon envy my "very unhealthy" air, as theirs is a worse "hazardous." Smoke detectors are going off all over the place, they report.
Some of them are headed for the coast for some "very unhealthy" relief in the ayem. 2020; good lord.

https://www.airnow.gov/?city=Portland&state=OR&country=USA

ApatheticNoMore
9-14-20, 12:54am
Yea it could be worse here. I was able to sit outside today (well how else am I to visit people in a pandemic), just not exercised outside as a smoke gray sky probably means that's a bad idea. Fled to the coast yesterday, air less toxic at the beach.

KayLR
9-14-20, 12:15pm
It's so depressing. Our AQ this morning is 497. And it's chilly; you can't see the sun. I haven't seen it for days since I saw the red sun. It feels like when you wake up in the morning when you're camping. You know, it smells like campfire, and it's so cold, and there's really no warming up. Only camping is prettier. Nothing pretty here.

Teacher Terry
9-14-20, 12:44pm
That’s horrible Kay! Our air is 134. Can’t be outside either.

Simplemind
9-14-20, 3:12pm
Our dogs are so frustrated, we are only letting them out to do their business and bringing them right back. The long haired one smells like an ash tray with less than a minute exposure. We have worn masks to get the paper and mail. Couldn't believe the letter carrier today. She came to the door and she isn't wearing any kind of mask and is driving in an open vehicle. I don't know how she is doing it. I think we are at 440 today.

Gardnr
9-14-20, 7:50pm
167 today and bad enough. House just reached 69 degrees and it's 90 outside. Our attic fan is set to go on at 90 and it has not. Ambient temp has far less influence than direct sunlight!

dado potato
9-15-20, 12:18am
Tiam,

I am watching the maps constantly.
Sending virtual raindrops of concern to extinguish the blazes.
Let's hope for Marine Air to scour out the smoke for everybody.

There may be some useful ideas for coping with the smoke at http://wasmoke.blogspot.com

Courage!

bae
9-15-20, 11:39pm
I have been since Thursday afternoon, and this is Monday evening, sealed in the house with the air filters running.

AQI outside has been ranging from 180-350. Here on an island 20 miles offshore, on the US/Canada border.

In the main room of my house, with everything sealed up, I can keep it at 40-50 AQI using box fans and MEV 13 furnace filters attached. In a smaller room (office, TV room, or bedroom) I can keep it at an AQI of < 10.

I haven't gone out except to water the garden, wearing a real N95 mask.

Gardnr
9-16-20, 10:20am
Gee, a mild 191 today. Grateful not be in Portland where it's down to 350!

catherine
9-16-20, 11:11am
Fires in the NE; hurricanes in the South. I guess I should stop kvetching about my daughter's wedding to-do list. :|(

razz
9-16-20, 11:36am
Fires in the NE; hurricanes in the South. I guess I should stop kvetching about my daughter's wedding to-do list. :|(

Speaking of which, how is the dress coming along? I am really looking forward to see the result of all your research and effort.

ETA: I felt badly when I looked at my post in light of all the challenges that you are facing with smoke and fire. No disrespect or disinterest intended as fire is one of the most difficult and traumatic issues to deal with.

KayLR
9-16-20, 12:12pm
Only an Unhealthy 191 today---AND I actually saw the sun! It was pinkish-orange. I hadn't seen it in days.

I feel like a jerk complaining when I think about the firefighters, though.

Geila
9-19-20, 7:24pm
Yesterday and today I was able to spend a good amount of time outdoors and it was WONDERFUL. I puttered yesterday, washing down greenery, sweeping, pruning and enjoying the beautiful blue sky and fresh outdoor air. Today we simply enjoyed our beautiful backyard and soaked up the good weather. Tomorrow we're supposed to get smoked again.

Tybee
9-19-20, 7:34pm
So glad you got some fresh air and hope tomorrow isn't so bad.

Geila
9-19-20, 8:11pm
Thank you. It's been about a month since we've been able to be outside safely. I finally feel like myself again. This morning we had sunshine and it was so exciting! Weird the things we take for granted and don't appreciate till they're gone.

happystuff
9-19-20, 8:55pm
So glad you had a good day.

Tammy
9-19-20, 9:24pm
Our youngest child lives in Carson city. He’s been staying indoors for a few weeks. And he works from home now, so he never gets out. They had a storm blow through and today their air quality was about 50. He took a hike and felt human again.

Teacher Terry
9-19-20, 10:38pm
We spent the entire day outside. We are in the afternoon and the temperature was perfect.

Tybee
9-20-20, 6:48am
We spent the entire day outside. We are in the afternoon and the temperature was perfect.

How wonderful!

happystuff
9-20-20, 7:58am
So glad some folks are being able to get outside! I hope it starts improving for everyone.

Teacher Terry
9-20-20, 9:03am
Our air was 50 which isn’t bad but by evening my asthma was kicked up and had to use my rescue inhaler twice. The

Jane v2.0
9-20-20, 11:09am
It's lovely--wet and green here. Air quality back to normal from Corvallis to Seattle.

Gardnr
9-21-20, 12:12pm
Bright beautiful sunshine day 2! It's AMAZING!!!! And a crisp cool morning at just 64 right now! Wohoo!!!

iris lilies
9-21-20, 12:22pm
I’m glad you guys are getting some well-deserved decent weather.

jp1
9-21-20, 10:07pm
Like everyone else I'm so glad our air is back to normal. With moving, and dealing with painting at the new place, I can't even imagine how much stress it would have added if the air quality had been terrible. Now we're happily settled (well, except for boxes everywhere, a wine glass broken ten minutes ago, etc) and if we're unlucky enough to have to deal with the smoke again it won't be any worse than any other people dealing with it.