PDA

View Full Version : 127 hours

kally
3-2-11, 3:00pm
saw this movie last night. Amazing and grizzly and super hard to watch. James Franco was good in the lead character. What did you think?

Greg44
3-2-11, 3:49pm
Oh, I want to see that. I saw the extended interview with real guy that Tom Brocaw (sp) did - and when he said watching it
was like reliving it, you know they did a good job re-creating the situation. A very humbled man. I am not a movie going person but that makes 3 I want to see right now. Secretariat (sp), 127 hours & The King's Speech.

kally
3-2-11, 4:13pm
It was so interesting as you followed his thought process. Spoiler alert.

As he is trapped in the canyon, you wonder what he could possibly do to get out of there. His mind goes on a variety of trips and his ideas come and go as he weakens.

The actual scene (the horrible one) is just so horrible. You can hear people in the audience sucking in their breath and everyone has their hands in front of their eyes. But it is so real.

A good lesson for all hikers.

Kestra
3-2-11, 7:15pm
We just saw it too. Very good, but also pretty horrific. I think it is a good reminder to take proper precautions. I'm just amazed he survived.

iris lily
3-2-11, 10:19pm
I can't watch this.

Besides, he will always be Daniel Desario to me (his Freaks and Geeks character, which I understand he inhabitaed more than a little at the recent Oscars hosting.)

puglogic
3-3-11, 12:02am
Aron Ralston is the object of mixed feelings among my outdoor-geek Mountain West friends. Yes, very nice that he freed himself, but the cavalier attitude that got him into that spot to begin with - and the fact that he's essentially making a zillion dollars by having been an idiot - rubs some people the wrong way. That said, I'll see whatever films Danny Boyle makes. I've been a fan for a long, long time. Can't wait to see it.

kally
3-3-11, 12:41am
well I think the film shows that he realizes he was a complete idiot.

puglogic
3-3-11, 11:16pm
Excellent. It's a pretty compelling story, good actor, great director, all the ingredients for a nice night out :)

treehugger
3-4-11, 12:00pm
I have been too chicken to see this movie, but I want to. I am a huge admirer of Danny Boyle (but, I admit, I love _Millions_ the best, which is probably his most tame film). I keep reading reviews of it, trying to pull the trigger and add it to my Netflix queue. Some day (and then I will watch parts of it with my eyes closed)...

It's not even just that scene of which I am wary, but I know the build up to it, the inevitability, and the claustraphobia of being trapped will all bother me as well. Yep, I am a chicken.

kally
3-4-11, 12:09pm
was Millions the one about the kids?

puglogic
3-4-11, 10:44pm
I love Millions too, treehugger. (yes, it's the one about the little boys who find the bank heist money) It's seriously my favorite of his movies, and in my top 10 of all. I can't even explain why -- I know some people who didn't like it at all.

Tiam
3-4-11, 11:54pm
Oh, I can't watch the 'scene'...I'll have to watch it online or dvd so I can skip that part. I love James Franco.

Tiam
4-24-11, 12:49am
I did watch this and enjoyed it a lot. I turned off the sound and looked away for the 'moment' so I didn't get that. I think Aron Ralston has shown considerable humility and humbleness about what happened and his own role in it.

Rogar
4-24-11, 9:51pm
I am an outdoorsman who spends a lot of time out on my own, though not as radical in my adventures. So I paid special attention to the story. I had read the book and also seen the 60 minutes special and have to say that about half way through the movie I turned it off. It is a great story of human determination, but I was pretty much over it. In the 60 minutes special I was also impressed with Ralston's humility, but fact is he did a handful of things that were very poor decisions. Movies occationally enhance the reading of the book, but this one didn't do it for me. If you are not familiar with the story, I would recommend the movie or the book.