PDA

View Full Version : post pregnancy exzema

kally
3-3-11, 1:14am
Just thought I would ask.
I have a young friend who had a baby 5 months ago. Since then she has developed terrible eczema, so bad that she won't go out. It is primarily on her face.

She is working with an alternate medicine person who is looking at diet and elimination of certain foods.

Has anyone ever known of this or what could help.

This is a big network so I thought I would check.

Mrs-M
3-3-11, 2:11am
Yes, I have heard of it happening to other women along with a host of other changes. Have your friend look into "Renew with Melaleuca". Here's the link.

http://www.melaleuca.com/ProductStore/ProductSubCategory.aspx?id=62

reader99
3-3-11, 7:13am
When my husband was dying I developed eczema on y hand. Googling, I see it is an allergic response, and to avoid irritants like detergents, and extremes of temperature. My doc prescribed a steroid cream that was not too awfully expensive and worked as long as I was using it - Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment

catherine
3-3-11, 9:01am
Yes, I'm not a doctor (just play one on TV).. Just kidding about playing one on TV, but I do interview a lot of them and coincidentally I am working on an eczema report as we speak (just taking a little internet break). I've spoken to quite a few PCPs and derms about this condition.

Reader99 is right--the ointment she suggests might work for you. It's generic so it will probably be pretty inexpensive. Topical steroids are the mainstay of treatment, and very safe as long as not used long-term. Other products are Desonate (which is milder and a hydrogel vehicle which is less greasy than an ointment--it absorbs quickly). Because of its mild nature and non-greasy feel, a lot of doctors use Desonate on the face. There's a generic called desonide, but that doesn't come in the hydrogel. Also there's a cream called Locoid Lipocream, which doctors seem to like. It also is a brand so it's more expensive than the triamcinolone.

A lot of the manufacturers of these products offer copay cap rebates, so if you do choose a brand, chances are you can get a copay card that caps your cost at around $25.

You should see a derm/PCP for this--they'll be able to help you get it under control quickly.

Sidenote to Mrs. M: Do you buy Melaleuca, too? I never run into anyone who buys it--my SIL sells it, and I agree that as a moisturizer, Renew is great--very emollient!!

Bootsie
3-3-11, 10:56am
If your friend is breastfeeding, she could try putting some of the breastmilk on her skin. Breastmilk is amazing. Hey, it's free and available, might as well try it.

My skin problems are definitely worse when I don't get enough sleep. As a new mom, she's probably unlikely to get enough sleep for a long while, but if she can put a priority on her own rest, that will be helpful. Also, keeping her digestive system moving along is helpful, too. I think sunshine helps, but I've heard some people's conditions worsen in the sun, so she'll have to experiment with that. And, avoid make-up on the affected area as that might cause an allergic reaction. Be as kind to her skin and body in general is advice I have....plus the treatments from her medical provider and the other advice here. I do think skin problems flare up when a person is under stress (and being a new mom, her body is under stress), so eliminating a stressful schedule can only help too.

kally
3-3-11, 12:49pm
Thanks I will pass on these ideas and any more.

JaneV2.0
3-3-11, 2:30pm
Along with an elimination diet, I'd have your friend try adding more fat to her diet--Omega 3s and saturated fats (IOW naturally-occurring fats) in particular.

Mrs-M
3-4-11, 12:01pm
Good morning Catherine. I personally have never tried Melaleuca, but a neighbour of ours has a son with problem eczema and she swears by it.

Midwife
3-5-11, 10:43pm
I agree that an elimination diet would be a great place to start. Pregnancy really upsets the immune system, and is a great stressor on the body, and sensitivities and intolerance's can be triggered during that time.... Most of the time steroid creams work sorta kinda, but are just a patch/bandaid on the problem, they do not fix the original problem, since eczema is a symptom of something gone awry, not a disorder in and of itself.