PDA

View Full Version : A Decluttering Challenge for the Next 7 Days

ejchase
8-21-13, 6:25pm
Hello All,

Our house is a disaster area, and I need some structure in order to face it. My goal: to do five hours of decluttering over the next 7 days (ending Wednesday, August 28). I will break it up into 30-60 minutes a day depending what I have the energy for, using Flylady's timer method.

Anybody else want to make a one-week goal of their own? It could be getting rid of a certain number of items or setting aside a certain amount of time each day. I would just love the company!

Elizabeth

Zoebird
8-21-13, 7:10pm
sweet. we are packing to move. i'll strive to finish the closet this week. we got through most of it, I just have to do the top shelf. I think i can get that done in 5 days. :D maybe.

ejchase
8-21-13, 8:00pm
Glad you're in, Zoebird!

I just did 1.5 hours, and I made a big dent in the chaos. Looking forward to getting more done this week.

cdttmm
8-21-13, 8:45pm
Count me in! Need to purge some clothing and some miscellaneous items. Need to sort/file/shred some paperwork, too. I'll commit to 5 hours over the next week!

JaneV2.0
8-21-13, 9:53pm
I'm clearing out the house, hoping to move one day, so stuff is going out of here on a regular basis.

razz
8-21-13, 11:03pm
Sorting through the collection of 47 years. It took me 5 hours just to sort through the large old desk so I hate to think how long the rest of the house might take. It is so hard to look at old records and decide what to keep and what to discard. I keep saying to myself, "Would I take this with me from a 3BR house to a 1 BR apartment?".
That did help.

ejchase
8-25-13, 6:06pm
I got through another hour this weekend, so I'm up to 2.5.

My toddler daughter didn't nap yesterday, so I could only squeeze in 15 minutes. But today, I managed to set the timer for 45 minutes and got through a bunch of stuff. I'd cleaned out the trunk of my car about a month ago which had a ton of papers and books from school (I'm an English teacher) but just dumped the papers in grocery bags to sort through later. Today, I got through the last of the bags. I do have one more bag of stuff that's not exactly clutter that I have to deal with - an old gift for someone that I can't really give them now - but it feels good to have the bags of paper dealt with.

ejchase
8-30-13, 1:14am
I did 1.5 hours more yesterday, so I'm up to 4, but I obviously didn't make my deadline. I think I'll just keep going until 5 anyway - hopefully finish it over this long weekend.

ejchase
9-4-13, 8:25pm
I just got my last hour of the 5 done today, inspired by the fact my younger sister is coming to visit tomorrow. The house is not pristine, but slightly less embarrassing.

I actually did 1.5 hours today, which felt good.

happystuff
9-4-13, 8:46pm
Congrats on your persistence! I am very sporatic with my decluttering... when I have time, I do it. However, I just saw a sign for our fall town-wide-yard-sale, so I'm getting motivated again!