PDA

View Full Version : "Emergency" dinners and other frozen food recommendations

Joyous_5
3-3-11, 8:50pm
I'm trying hard to curb our eating out expenses. One of the things I know I do is splurge on fast food or stopping by the store for something quick when we're tired/hungry/rushed. I'm looking for ideas for your favorite emergency dinners...particularly things that are tasty frozen and re-heated.

Also, I'm going to start a once-a-month cooking party with my mom and sister and am looking for ideas for the best meals to freeze. Challenge? We're looking for vegan recipes (or vegetarian ones which can be made vegan easily). Any ideas on this?

iris lily
3-3-11, 9:26pm
Vegan is hard, but I suppose there are lots of good bean soup recipes.
Pray tell what fast food vegan are you accustomed to buying?

Rosemary
3-3-11, 9:42pm
tofu/spinach or tofu/broccoli lasagna

saute black beans with vegetables, place in dish. Mix up cornbread (easily made vegan) ingredients except for liquid. When you're going to cook it, thaw the bean mixture, add the liquids to the cornbread, pour over top. Bake.

Pinto or black bean - based taco or burrito filling

bae
3-3-11, 9:46pm
We make mountains of tamales a couple of times a year, and freeze them. They reheat super easy.

Tiam
3-3-11, 9:57pm
Well, pasta marinara.
Sauteed mushrooms and onion on toast?
Garlic soup?
Pasta salad.
Hummus and pita,
guacamole and chips,
veggie and tofu pitas or quesadillas,
stuffed baked potatoes,
baba ganoush,
fried rice with tofu,
potato soup,
split pea soup,
barley veggie soup, (pre prepared)
Boca burgers,
veggie burgers,
bean burritos
or tostadas,
cheese-less mini muffin pizzas or pizza,
vegan scrambled tofu and toast,
tomato soup and sandwiches.
bean salad and bread or chips.

ApatheticNoMore
3-4-11, 2:24am
I've frozen pesto (cook pasta and your done). Corn tortillas freeze well (then if you warm them on the stovetop and open canned beans and saute veggies your good, although my fillings are usually non-vegan, heat up frozen ground beef etc.). For a non-vegan meal mac and cheese seemed to freeze well though it's not the healthiest. I could use more help on this too as I sometimes need to have this quick food around. I'm thinking spanokopitas might freeze well but haven't tried it.

Bastelmutti
3-4-11, 7:44am
Join the March Cook-at-Home Challenge!

pinkytoe
3-4-11, 8:48am
I don't know if they are vegan but we keep a bag of frozen tortellini around and throw together last-minute soups. You can add canned tomatos and fresh spinach, mushrooms, etc. in a vegetable broth base.

earthshepherd
3-4-11, 10:22am
My dad freezes a lot of dinners (just for him):
hillbilly beans (beans with beef, tomato sauce and seasoning)
spaghetti, noodles and all
roasted or baked chicken (heat and serve)
all kinds of muffins and breads
casseroles
lentil stew
pea soup

just to mention the ones that come to me off the top of my head.

mara61
3-7-11, 10:16am
Try this site for Vegan recipes that might freeze well

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/p/vegan-veg-index.html

Tiam
3-20-11, 11:29am
Does anyone freeze refriend beans? just wondering. I was thinking of making large batch of refried beans and freezing them in small containers, but I was wondering if freezing does anything to the texture or flavor? It seems like a convenient semi emergency kind of food. If I took it out before leaving in the morning, it would be defrosted by evening for burritos or dip.

Merski
3-20-11, 12:10pm
Try a small batch and freeze and let us all know! I'm assuming that there wouldn't be a change in texture, maybe in moisture... I freeze baked beans and they're great.

Blackdog Lin
3-21-11, 6:02am
While I don't freeze "refried" beans, I freeze leftover beans - of all varieties - all the time to use for burritos or dip. They freeze excellently. After thawing, I then mush, season and heat (or not).

Joyous_5
3-21-11, 10:15am
I love these ideas! Thanks for the good suggestions, everyone. I should have clarified that my mother is vegan and we were cooking together so I wanted meals that would work for her. I'm a vegetarian so have more options--and the ones suggested here are good ones.

Gina
3-21-11, 3:44pm
Does anyone freeze refriend beans? just wondering. I was thinking of making large batch of refried beans and freezing them in small containers, but I was wondering if freezing does anything to the texture or flavor? It seems like a convenient semi emergency kind of food. If I took it out before leaving in the morning, it would be defrosted by evening for burritos or dip.
I just made a large batch of beans yesterday. I don't know if they are technically 'refried', but first I cook dry pinto beans (this time in the solar oven) then a day or so later fry up a bunch of onions, chile peppers, toss in lots of tomato (if you don't have fresh, 'crushed' canned tomatoes are the best IMO) and flavorings (cumin, oregano, and cayenne) and cook it all down till it's 'just right'.

I then freeze this in portions - either individual or for X number of servings. I've been doing this for years and find it's a great emergency meal. To use, thaw and re-heat and put on fresh soft corn tortillas, grate some cheddar cheese for the top, and eat. It's exceptionally good! And inexpensive.

iris lily
3-22-11, 9:27am
I love these ideas! Thanks for the good suggestions, everyone. I should have clarified that my mother is vegan and we were cooking together so I wanted meals that would work for her. I'm a vegetarian so have more options--and the ones suggested here are good ones.

I really can't help with vegan, but for vegetarians you oculd make lovely vegetarian lasagne. I make ours (with meat) in pans, cut them into squares, and freeze the squares.

Tiam
3-24-11, 12:38am
I really can't help with vegan, but for vegetarians you oculd make lovely vegetarian lasagne. I make ours (with meat) in pans, cut them into squares, and freeze the squares.

My DIL makes a completely vegan lasagna that's quite good. Tofu of course and perhaps a soy cheese. Lots of veggies and sauce. Quite good. Not rich like a dairy/meat lasagna. Tasty and lighter.