PDA

View Full Version : Freeze artisan bread?

Anne Lee
3-3-11, 11:20pm
I've gotten quite handy at making the 5 minute Artisan bread, if I do say so myself. Do you think it might be possible to freeze the dough and then let it thaw throughout the afternoon so it is ready to pop in the oven as soon as I get home? Currently, I have to wait about 30 minutes before cooking for the second rise (you can do this if you make rolls and baguettes rather than a loaf).

Merski
3-4-11, 7:25am
Don't know the answer but DH freezes his artisan bread after it is baked and it freezes well.

Rosemary
3-4-11, 8:24am
Bread dough freezes just fine, but needs plenty of time to thaw and warm sufficiently to rise. I freeze my homemade pizza dough in 1-pound chunks. When I plan to make pizza, I remove it from the freezer the night before.

treehugger
3-4-11, 11:57am
I've gotten quite handy at making the 5 minute Artisan bread, if I do say so myself. Do you think it might be possible to freeze the dough...

That book actually talks about freezing their dough, but maybe only in reference to the brioche dough since that can only be refrigerated for 5 days instead of the usual 14. In any case, I am sure you can freeze other recipes in the book, allowing for sufficient defrosting and resting time.