PDA

View Full Version : The Unfrugal Thread

Florence
9-3-13, 12:50pm
What have you wasted money on recently? I consider things Unfrugal only if you paid too much or it was spent on something that wasn't worth the money or you ended up wasting it. Sometimes an expensive item is very frugal if it is well used and worth the cost.

Anyway, I cleaned out my freezer today and ended up tossed out way too much food for one reason or another. Hate to waste anything but especially food! Ack!!

pinkytoe
9-3-13, 1:31pm
Yesterday, I purchased $130 worth of curtains for our bedroom. I wanted to make some out of sheets or fabric but could not find any fabric I liked - not to mention finding time to make them. Our neighbor, the tree hater, has a streetlight in his backyard that shines in our br window so room darkening ones are necessary.

SteveinMN
9-3-13, 2:04pm
I'm not sure it's an unfrugal, but I ended up tossing some chicken I bought for the men's retreat I attended this past weekend. I was crowing to myself about scoring chicken leg quarters for 59 cents a pound (I shop at the coop most times; I don't have a good idea what factory food normally costs, but 59 cents sounded cheap). They must have been at their sell-by date, though, because when I got to them for cooking a couple of days later, they were bad. And very stinky. Out they went. Only a couple of dollars, though. We got by on other food.

I did have professionally framed a picture I shot in Venice, Italy, a few years ago. It's a place that's done excellent work for us in the past and I thought this picture was even better than the last Venice picture I shot. Oh, heck, here it is (tinypic.com made it kind of dark...). It's the Campanile in St. Peter's Square; the gold-lit building in the back is the Venetian City Hall.

http://i39.tinypic.com/14dkikl.jpg

Anyway, I opted to go without the matting and cutting and a fancy frame. All told, it came to $56 for them to frame it when I probably could have hunted down a decent frame at a thrift store for much, much less. But it does get this off my to-do list and onto our wall. And it will look very nice. Who knows how much longer it would have taken if I had to hunt down a frame and DIY.

redfox
9-3-13, 3:15pm
Yesterday, I purchased $130 worth of curtains for our bedroom. I wanted to make some out of sheets or fabric but could not find any fabric I liked - not to mention finding time to make them. Our neighbor, the tree hater, has a streetlight in his backyard that shines in our br window so room darkening ones are necessary.

I definitely do not define creating peace of mind and dark sleeping quarters as un-frugal!

Liv
9-12-13, 7:54pm
I spent $5.79 on a pair of slippers (flip flops) because the ones on sale at $2.79 weren't in the color I wanted. That's about as crazy as we get on being non-frugal here, lol.

Jilly
9-13-13, 12:18am
I came home on Sunday to find that the freezer had stopped working whilst I was away for several days. Trash pickup was yesterday, so I emptied the darn thing and put it all out in the morning.

I mood altered by buying some groceries yesterday afternoon, and I finished that shopping today. Even though it was a foolish splurge, truly, I bought a small watermelon and some dried fruit. What a stupid waste.

iris lilies
9-13-13, 10:58am
I just nuked a package of cheese slices. I meant to unfreeze just the top one, but I got distracted and now the whole thing is a melted cheese blob. Well, it sill be fine for feeding our dog his daily pills.

Jilly
9-13-13, 6:02pm
I bet that it looks really cool, though.

AnneM
9-13-13, 11:10pm
I could go on and on. You never see me posting in the frugals thread because i am so far behind the rest of you. I have much to learn.

The latest is that my husband, the spendthrift, inherited quite a bit of moolah. He just spent a chunk of it on a collector car. I don't understand men and their toys. And here I am washing out plastic bags for reuse. Aargh...

ApatheticNoMore
9-13-13, 11:20pm
Well I picked up a dinner yesterday (gluten free pizza from a pizza place), and picked up several TJ salads for lunch because I got too lazy/tired - I was pretty exhausted - to cook even though I had food at home ready to make recipes. Hopefully it hasn't gone bad. But if it has double the unfrugal points. I'd have an extra $30 in my wallet now maybe if I wasn't buying random food because I'm too lazy to cook (yes I'd pick up a chocolate bar when buying salad and so on :)).

ETA: food (was only veggies) is still good, I'm going to cook it today. So only single not double unfrugal points.

RosieTR
9-14-13, 12:52am
I bought tires yesterday without shopping around because I just didn't want to. As it was, it took over an hour. Since it was a day I would normally been at work and this was something I needed to get done pretty soon before it snows I just wanted to get it done. The tires were getting a little bad in the rain as it was, and last spring I got stuck in an intersection for awhile in snow because of the crappy tires. I got the extra roadside thing too, even though that's probably unneeded. If I need an alignment or rotation, this place is right on the way home from work and a national chain that has an office near work too. So, yeah not fiddling with small shops or membership clubs to which I don't have a membership.

nswef
9-14-13, 11:20am
RosieTR, I think frugality with time and energy is often as important as frugality with money. Your time and energy may have been sorely wasted had you shopped around. I will make those kinds of decisions as well and often it works out for the best...car battery light on the dash flashing, which turned out to be an alternator- thankfully I went to the dealer rather than just replacing the battery to have it strand me later as an example. I saved time, frustration and energy. Probably even a wee bit of money, but quite probably not...

cdttmm
9-21-13, 4:01pm
Pets are not frugal.

~$500 at the emergency vet clinic today to have the porcupine quills removed from my cattle dog's muzzle and mouth. It's a good thing he's really, really cute...

Azure
9-21-13, 10:03pm
Poor pup & poor cdttmm! Ouch!

Well, I had dropped my ipod and shattered the screen. I do have a warranty on it but the damage wasn't covered. So for $75 plus shipping I could send it to Apple to be repaired. I decided to do it because $75 is less than $149. I was shocked because I dropped it off at FedEx on Monday afternoon and got it back Wed. morning! The even bigger shock was that they sent me a whole new ipod! Something about while they were checking it out they discovered some kind of defect. I may also get my $75 back. But even if I don't I am not going to complain!

Liv
9-22-13, 9:20pm
Azure, that turned out to sound like a really frugal thing after all!

Side note- bet it's getting pretty up there where you live - I grew up in Alma & remember those beautiful fall colors!!

Azure
9-22-13, 9:59pm
My youngest son goes to Alma College! Such a small world. The leaves are just in the beginning stages of turning. It'll be gorgeous soon.

RosieTR
9-22-13, 11:37pm
RosieTR, I think frugality with time and energy is often as important as frugality with money. Your time and energy may have been sorely wasted had you shopped around. I will make those kinds of decisions as well and often it works out for the best...car battery light on the dash flashing, which turned out to be an alternator- thankfully I went to the dealer rather than just replacing the battery to have it strand me later as an example. I saved time, frustration and energy. Probably even a wee bit of money, but quite probably not...

I probably should have at least shopped a bit on the computer, but yeah, I may have wasted a LOT more time and money going from shop to shop. I mean, they are tires so even if there were some sort of difference I'd probably be unable to really tell beyond the mileage and rating for weather. The worse thing would have been dithering until it does snow (which can happen any time now though usually mid-Oct) then wrecking the car to the tune of lots more. Not that tires guarantees anything, but I could feel them slip when the road was just a bit wet.

RosieTR
9-22-13, 11:49pm
I did another completely unfrugal thing today. I used nearly an entire tank of gas just going for a 6 hr drive. I really wanted to see how Estes Park had fared during the floods, and what was, before the roads were closed, about a 70-80 mile round-trip became a 300 mile round trip. I filled gas before I left town, and I will have to tomorrow. I have to say, it was 1) a beautiful drive, with the aspens just starting to change and the high peaks just dusted with the first snows 2) a drive I had never done before, never having had to access anything from that direction so it was interesting to see a new place and 3) for emotional reasons I really needed to see how Estes Park was doing since I visit there a lot normally. It made me feel a whole lot better about the whole situation and I'm actually really glad I went despite blowing money on gas, lunch and a few touristy items that I might not otherwise have bought. I debated before leaving because it seemed like such a waste of time and money, and I thought it would break my heart to see the damage, but in fact the whole drive fed my soul and gave me a lot of hope. So maybe not as much of an unfrugal waste as I think! :)

Spartana
9-23-13, 2:40am
Well I have been renting a car for the past 4 weeks - with 2 more weeks to go - to travel. Didn't really need to do that as I could have taken my old truck but I'm finding the comforts of having a newish car worth it. And I did get it for $600 for the whole 6 weeks and got upgraded from a compact to a very nice Chevey Malibu with all the bells and whistles. The unfortunate side effect is that I now want a car with all those bells and whistles. I want the automatic transmission, a/c, power everything, leather interior, etc... I'm not sure I'll ever be able to drive again without XM radio and SIRI telling me where to turn while my hiney-end is gently warmed by seat heaters!

SteveinMN
9-23-13, 10:28am
I'm not sure I'll ever be able to drive again without XM radio and SIRI telling me where to turn while my hiney-end is gently warmed by seat heaters!
You can add XM radio, a Garmin GPS, and seat heaters to your truck for about the cost of one or two monthly payments on that Malibu. It's not an either/or proposition. :)

Spartana
9-23-13, 11:26am
You can add XM radio, a Garmin GPS, and seat heaters to your truck for about the cost of one or two monthly payments on that Malibu. It's not an either/or proposition. :)
True but I'm now spoiled and and want auto trans, a/c, and that full power stuff - not sure I'm capable of rolling down my own windows anymore :-) . I'm in the market for a new car but was just going to stick with a cheap, basic compact. However I now will get something a bit bigger and with a few more creature comforts. Upgrade creep - not frugal but sometimes it happens to us all.

Jilly
9-23-13, 1:24pm
My daughter has a tiny car, some little blue toy thing, where I get to refresh my window winding up-and-down skills. She calls the car-like vehicle Little Shoe. I do have to say that all of those extras sound wonderful, though.

Same thing for you, Rosie. That trip sounds absolutely wonderful. It supports your life in ways that it never could had you spent that time and money on a basic need, something mundane.

I know that I am not alone in believing that being frugal does not mean that we are always restraining ourselves from being all spendy, but by using our resources to the way that works best for us.

pinkytoe
9-23-13, 3:02pm
I really wanted to see how Estes Park had fared during the floods, and what was, before the roads were closed, about a 70-80 mile round-trip became a 300 mile round trip.
We leave tomorrow for that area and everyone says we are crazy. But after prepaying for cabin, rental car and airfare, we could not afford to change everything at the last minute. Looking forward to seeing the aspen and refreshing my soul in the mountains!! Priceless as they say...

RosieTR
9-24-13, 12:40am
We leave tomorrow for that area and everyone says we are crazy. But after prepaying for cabin, rental car and airfare, we could not afford to change everything at the last minute. Looking forward to seeing the aspen and refreshing my soul in the mountains!! Priceless as they say...

Pinkytoe, if you can get to the place it'll be great! The weather is supposed to be nice til Fri or so, when there may be snow! The aspens are coming into fall color and it's beautiful. The elk should be bugling too. I hope you have a great trip! It is unnerving to wind up with a vacation in a disaster zone (we wound up having a preplanned trip to NYC shortly after Sandy) but the damage is usually blown up by the media. You may not even notice a ton since you don't know what it used to look like. So, enjoy the beauty!

Spartana
9-24-13, 2:00am
My daughter has a tiny car, some little blue toy thing, where I get to refresh my window winding up-and-down skills. She calls the car-like vehicle Little Shoe. I do have to say that all of those extras sound wonderful, though.

Same thing for you, Rosie. That trip sounds absolutely wonderful. It supports your life in ways that it never could had you spent that time and money on a basic need, something mundane.

I know that I am not alone in believing that being frugal does not mean that we are always restraining ourselves from being all spendy, but by using our resources to the way that works best for us.
My last car was a Hyundai Accent that I had to fold my 5'10" body into. Even with the seat all the way back my knees banged the steering wheel. But it was good on fuel at 40mpg and ran great but I think it's time to be a bit more unfrugal for the sake of my knees :-)

Florence
9-24-13, 9:44am
Ha! I am getting such a kick out of all our unfrugals and especially our arguments with ourselves!!

SteveinMN
9-26-13, 6:02pm
Because I'm more careful about where our meat and poultry come from these days, I stopped at a local higher-end grocery for the week's shopping. I didn't need many other items, so I figured the higher prices wouldn't "hurt" as much. Holy socks! Now I know why there's a bank branch in each store of the chain -- you need to take out a loan for some of the food! Nevermind the $25/pound imported cheeses. The chuck roast was $4.99 a pound. It cost an extra dollar a pound to cut up chicken before they put it in its styrofoam resting place. I actually thought for a moment of asking the store help if maybe there was meat that was a little less grand somewhere else in the case. I did look; there wasn't.

I bought less chuck roast than I wanted because I couldn't see putting a $20 piece of meat in my cart. I bought a whole chicken anyway because it's not that far from what the coop charges for a similar item. It would have cost me in time and fuel to go to the coop and I didn't want to buy CAFO meat in the first place. But I will think long and hard before stepping inside one of those stores again. And I will never complain about the coop's prices -- based on this experience, they're entirely fair. Better they get the business.

jp1
9-27-13, 11:44pm
I'm not sure that this is really an unfrugal, but it's definitely going to be costly. I need to have my right rear molar pulled. Years ago the bone next to it in my jaw died and two expensive trips to the periodontist later (one 7 years ago and one this january) the tooth needs to come out. I could've just had it pulled and been done, but I want an implant since otherwise my dental health is great and at the young age of 45 I'm not ready to start settling for permanent defects like this, especially if they're fixable and I can afford them. (that alone is probably the real unfrugality of my situation...) My regular dentist recommended the best oral surgeon in San Francisco (her words, but my research online agrees). It'll be about $4000 total for him to extract the tooth, do a bone graft and put in the implant. Insurance will cover almost none of it except the extraction. Fabulous surgeon is not in my plan and my plan doesn't cover implants anyway. I probably could've found a cheaper surgeon but decided that even if they were half the price I'd rather spend the money to, hopefully, have it done right.

On the other hand, it's friday night and SO had to work late so I just came home instead of going to happy hour with him and then out to dinner, as is our usual routine. $30-40 saved towards my new tooth. I suppose I could forgo happy hour/weekly dinner out for the next two years and I'd save enough to pay for the whole tooth!

catherine
9-28-13, 9:29am
We are doing great with our envelopes. We're paying off debt the Dave Ramsey way, and I've finally gotten some cooperation from DH by using envelopes. His mind and spreadsheets just don't go together, but the cash envelopes are really motivating him, which I'm surprised by, but hey, whatever works.

We shouldn't be doing any house stuff while paying off debt, but I couldn't leave our kitchen half-done with no backsplash, so we asked a local guy to install cheap subway tiles. I had been looking at really nice tiles at $12.00/sq.ft but the subway tiles were under $4 at Lowe's.

We thought the local guy's price was too good to be true. Turns out it was. PLUS I was out of town on business this week, leaving DH, the free spirit, in charge. Seems that the guy we hired just was severely slacking, but he did allow his helper to take over while he went and spent the day using our down payment, which was supposedly to front the materials, on lottery tickets. So we had to buy the materials, and DH felt he had to encourage the helper (who is still owed $400 by his boss) to stay by bribing him with lunch and pizza and cigarettes and you name it.

I just got home and I'm wrapping my mind around all this, but DH is telling me that all in all, the job probably cost twice as much as we planned, what with the "bribes" and tips and extra spent on materials.

Oh well. At least I have the first decent backsplash I've ever had.

SiouzQ.
9-28-13, 10:28am
Every time I drive a little west out of town to go hiking in my favorite spot I swear, I SWEAR, I am NOT going to stop at the Dairy Queen in Dexter on the way back home and get an overpriced Blizzard. Even after I swore last week that I was going to stop eating extra sugar and crap. I guess old habits really die hard. My rationalization was that the DQ's were all going to close down in the next few weeks for winter anyway so I had to get one last one in...

Gardenarian
9-30-13, 3:45pm
DD is having braces put on today (round two, she's been having orthodontic treatment for 5 years.) That's not the unfrugal part. She asked if she could have the invisible braces (which are $700 more than regular, and more fragile), and we said - okay. She has been great about taking care of her braces and wearing her headgear, and as she said "I'll have them till I'm almost 17!"

She's a good kid, been very stoic through all this. But, yikes!

Jilly
10-4-13, 10:44pm
I spent yesterday afternoon and a few hours today doing every scrap of clothing, linens and bedding at the laundromat. I am totally ready for the season changes and all blankets and winter house clothes are ready to go. The unfrugal part was the cost, even though I brought lots of things home to dry on hangers and two drying racks, and I stopped counting after the third roll of quarters. Plus my back is killing me from all the hauling, lifting and dragging all of that stuff.

I bought a $7 lunch and spent another $25 at the dollar store for Yardley soap, makeup, mustard, a string of fake autumn leaves to take my door wreath through to the winter holidays and the rest were readers for one of the homeless shelters.

A short trip to the market yesterday was $65 of food for the next two weeks. They had the 8 pound bags of potatoes for less than a dollar again and chicken wings, plain and seasoned, on sale. Same for peaches. Yay.

Spartana
10-7-13, 1:25am
Well I have added a couple of more weeks to my not-really-needed-but-nice-to-have rental car. That will make 2 months of renting a car to travel in. Yikes - not frugal but it is actually so much cheaper on gas than my truck that it might be cheaper to rent then use the truck. Will have to do the math. Of course that means a couple of extra weeks of motels or campsites to pay for. Oh well.....least it's budget Motel 6's :-)

Azure
10-12-13, 2:25pm
Jilly, I always see the Yardley soap at $ Tree and have wondered about it. You like it?

Azure
10-12-13, 2:28pm
I think I just might see if DH wants to take a long drive this afternoon to see the color. Not frugal, but gas is more reasonable at only (ONLY?) $3.36 gallon. And we don't have to go pick up either boy. Or go to a football game.

Jilly
10-12-13, 4:07pm
Azure, I make most of my own bar soap, and fill in with the sensitive version of Dove soap. I buy the Yardley's lavender to toss in with my linens and stuff, as a sachet. It is the least expensive way to do this. However, it does do as a lovely hand and shower soap, too.

We could ask Steve, because he stocks up on that brand, and actually uses it!

SteveinMN
10-12-13, 7:29pm
We could ask Steve, because he stocks up on that brand, and actually uses it!
Jilly, I think you mean me. :) Yes, we do stock up on it -- usually the oatmeal almond variety as I'm not a great fan of the smell of lavender. I think there's a third variety, too, but I don't always see that one at the dollar store. In our experience, it's excellent soap for the price. It lasts a while (it's triple-milled) and strikes a nice balance between the artisan soaps that melt on contact with the soap dish and the mass-market brands that dry out my skin something fierce. The scents, too, are not "gender-specific" IYKWIM.

Azure
10-12-13, 9:41pm
Good to know, Steve

ctg492
10-13-13, 1:40am
Oh sitting here feeling there is nothing not one thing frugal in my life today. I am driving long distances to see my husband, turning around and driving to take mom to dr and be with her. Two of everything seems like I have to have for two homes. I know this will all pass, so I will beat myself with the unfrugal wet noodle.

ctg492
10-13-13, 1:44am
Azure,
DQ yum, you splurge on yourself on Dexter! Yes they will be closing soon here in Mi. I am traveling to TN often now. The DQs there are like fast food restaurants. I was surprised how many and the size. So guess they don't close there.

ctg492
10-13-13, 1:48am
Since I am kinda feeling sorry for my current state of unfrugalness. I will toss the biggest one out there. Husband is having his toy car transported from mi to tn in two weeks......$2,200 :|( The worst part if there is one, is that it will be transported back when he transfers back.
I hate that car.

frugalone
10-16-13, 4:12pm
I paid $25 for a series of out-of-print, digital journals of a magazine I never liked very much. I got on this "I'm going to learn to draw" kick (it happens every couple of years) and bought "Sketchbook" magazine. They're on my hard drive and I haven't read through any of them yet. I forgot too: I hate looking at magazines online. I love my Kindle for books, but somehow looking at stuff on a PC just irks me.

Gardenarian
10-22-13, 8:41pm
Nutella.

early morning
10-23-13, 8:49pm
We like the Aldi Nutella knock-off about as well as the real thing. But cheaper. This has a downside, since we eat more of it..... :|(

try2bfrugal
10-23-13, 10:54pm
I bought large shrimp on sale. It was labeled from the Texas Coast so it is probably toxic, but the price was great. I guess that is still unfrugal because it was $5.99 a pound. I stir fried it last night with onions and yellow squash with an oyster sauce.

jennipurrr
10-25-13, 2:11pm
I bought a groupon recently for a restaurant and it went out of business before I could use it :/

Most of my unfrugal regrets are related to the house renovation. DH didn't realize not ALL the baseboards in the basement had to be ripped out, instead of just the ones affected by the waterproofing we were doing. Probably cost us about $500, ugh. I bought two shelves w/mirrors at a great price for the bathroom we are redoing, and I just can't find a vanity that matches the wood veneer, so I am not using them (cost me total of $120). It remains to be seen how unfrugal that is since I hope to sell them on craigslist. The way things are going they will probably still be in my garage two years from now, heh. Same with the matching lights, although I think I will use them in another bathroom...that I wasn't planning to change the lights out in anytime soon...but I bought them on clearance and can't take them back. I am trying to be frugal I swear! Those were the big slipups.

Spartana
10-25-13, 5:13pm
Well I think I'm queen of the unfugalistas as I just rented another car for a month - this time a fire engine red Dodge Journey SUV. At least I got it for the price of a compact car - $400/month. Got to fit in one more trip with The Barkinator before the snows starts flying. That is 3 months of renting a car (4 cars in total). Not frugal but than it's still cheaper than buying a new car. In any case Nutella is looking very very frugal...but just as gross :-) :-)