PDA

View Full Version : Aloha!

Liv
9-11-13, 9:13pm
Hi everyone, I'm so glad to have found this great forum! Since I live in one of the most expensive states - Hawaii, I'm always looking for ways to save money, reuse, repurpose, recycle, etc. My DH and I are retired and live on a fixed income but have always been frugal.

It's paid off since now we can live in a place most people can only visit but we do it a bit 'on the cheap' - drive a 19 year old car, live in a one bedroom 500 square foot apt, etc. But No we don't eat :spam:! LOL.

Really looking forward to learning new things here and hope to contribute as well! :)

catherine
9-11-13, 10:13pm
Welcome, Liv!

I'll be looking forward to hearing about your simple living adventures in Hawaii!

razz
9-11-13, 10:15pm
Welcome!
Hard to imagine a better spot to live. How do you work around a limited income in a higher expense area? What ideas have helped you the most?

SteveinMN
9-11-13, 10:43pm
Welcome, Liv! All I've ever seen of Hawaii is the HNL Airport, but even that was enough to make me want to come back! :)

mtnlaurel
9-12-13, 5:16am
Welcome Liv, so glad you have joined us!

Liv
9-12-13, 6:30pm
Welcome!
Hard to imagine a better spot to live. How do you work around a limited income in a higher expense area? What ideas have helped you the most?

Thanks for all the welcomes! I think the islands cost about the same as any large metro area on the mainland as far as housing goes, our electric costs are insane but we don't use our a/c & no heat needed where we are. I must admit tho the number one way we make it is with the help of Costco, Wally World & Kmart, lol! We spend zero on entertainment & eating out is going by Safeway for one of their $5 subs, a bag of chips & off to the beach for a picnic.

It's not for everyone but for what we enjoy, the beach, walks, nice weather, we don't mind giving up spending on new 'toys' etc.

Tussiemussies
9-12-13, 10:27pm
Hi Liv,

Sounds like a great lifestyle you are living. Looking forward to hearing more about your frugal pursuits in Hawaii! Chris

Gardenarian
9-16-13, 3:28pm
Hi and welcome!
I've only been to the Big island, but I liked it so much I was tempted to move there. As soon as you step off the plane - aah, that air - pure relaxation.
I was worried about getting island fever, feeling cooped up. Do you find that a problem?

Liv
9-22-13, 8:11pm
Hi and welcome!
I've only been to the Big island, but I liked it so much I was tempted to move there. As soon as you step off the plane - aah, that air - pure relaxation.
I was worried about getting island fever, feeling cooped up. Do you find that a problem?

Island fever, a feeling of claustrophobia is a problem for some people but mostly I think a lot of people miss their families and friends from the mainland.
As much as people say and think they'll come visit you the expense and time involved is too much for most folks so I'd say the number one reason retired people leave HI is due to just plain loneliness.
Young working people usually leave because of low wages and the high cost of living so they get tired of never really getting ahead much.