PDA

View Full Version : need some quick vacation ideas

pinkytoe
9-13-13, 4:37pm
DH and I had been looking forward to our Colorado trip for several months now. But with the recent rains, it is probably best that we cancel. So...I have flights into Denver and a whole lot of reservations to cancel. Any ideas on where to go for a week out of Denver? It is only 10 days away so I have to come up with something quick - or just stay home and use the airline credit later.
So depressing...

Rosemary
9-13-13, 5:36pm
Are you going to drive out of Denver or fly? Any preference for which direction?

pinkytoe
9-13-13, 9:30pm
I have a rental car reserved so can drive anywhere at this point. I guess we will head south and then west but I just don't know. Have never had a completely planned trip crumble like this before.

redfox
9-13-13, 11:05pm
The drive into New Mexico is gorgeous.

Bartleby
9-13-13, 11:22pm
The drive into New Mexico is gorgeous.

Yes, through the San Juan Mountains, and into the 4 corners area. Among the most breathtaking scenery anywhere.

RosieTR
9-13-13, 11:32pm
I'm so sorry your trip is screwed up, Pinkytoe! There are lots of nice areas south and west of Denver. What sort of things are you looking to do? Since you were planning areas near Boulder I'm guessing some hiking or mtn biking? Or near a lake? This time of year it may be easier to make last-minute reservations. Some suggestions to check out:
-the area near Kenosha Pass is lovely in autumn, with lots of aspens turning yellow. Fairplay is the closest town but small, Buena Vista will have more restaurant and lodging options
-a few hours' drive, Pagosa Springs and Ouray are both very nice, and nice in autumn. As the name suggests, hot springs! Also hiking (pretty much hiking in all mountainous areas, actually). There are also native American ruins in the area.
-further on over Wolf Creek Pass, Durango is an outstanding location, though bit of a drive (maybe 6 hrs from Denver)
-Leadville has staged a comeback from its mining town days and is now a laid-back tourist town without the bling of the Summit County towns. There are several mountains to climb if you'd like, or more reasonable hiking and such if not. If it doesn't snow before then, you may take a drive over Independence Pass which leads into the Aspen area ($$$ for lodging!) but the Maroon Bells Wilderness is one of the most highly photographed places in all of Colorado, and for good reason.
-Royal Gorge. Parts of the gorge burned earlier this summer but the Monument is still open and some is untouched. Check their website for further info on burn areas.
-Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Again, a bit further from Denver.
-Summit county: I recommend Dillon or Silverthorne but you may find a screaming deal in Breckenridge this time of year since it's after summer but before ski season. Some of the ski resorts run a lift or two for sight-seeing or to take up a mountain bike to ride down. There's an alpine slide as well and of course any type of hiking from summiting a 14,000 ft peak to a mile stroll around a lake. Winter Park is even closer than Dillon/Silverthorne/Breck and also quite nice with a ski resort etc. A drive over Loveland Pass (different from the town of Loveland between Ft Collins and Boulder) is also fun in that area.

I hope that helps! The point is, your trip isn't completely ruined, just possibly different from the original plan. If you want some advice narrowing down, let me know. I'm not often great at checking PMs but let me know if you want to exchange email that way for a more back-and-forth discussion.

Edited to add-the suggestions were in no particular order

iris lilies
9-14-13, 1:23am
Silver City, New MExico for 2 days.

Santa Fe, New Mexico for 3 days.

Rosemary
9-14-13, 7:12am
There are so many national parks with gorgeous landscapes within 6 hours' drive from Denver - I think you have a lot of options! The high season is ending and it will be much easier to find hotel rooms anywhere - you could just wing it, research options ahead of time and just make a new choice each day. That was what DH and I did on a pre-kid trip to Germany and it was really relaxing. Each day we woke in our previous day's destination, had breakfast, and explored. In the afternoon when we were worn out, we got on the train and rode to the general area we had decided would be next, got off the train, and found lodging and dinner.

One thing you could do is print a map and make circles on it - one hour from the Denver airport, two, three hours... whatever you think the maximum distance you'd like to drive - a quick visual of what you could see in which direction, and what is nearby.

lmerullo
9-14-13, 8:13am
Rosemary - great suggestion! Our favorite family vacation occurred with an atlas and a pencil with a string. Our kids were each responsible for determining the next destination and they even paired up with "if we go here today we could reach HERE tomorrrow" Awesome memories.

OP - I think you will be able to salvage your trip but it may just be different than planned. You've got lots of options.

pinkytoe
9-14-13, 12:58pm
I do appreciate all the ideas here. My brother lives on the western slope near Gunnison so might just head that way and get some free lodging too. Still thinking...

RosieTR
9-15-13, 5:36pm
I do appreciate all the ideas here. My brother lives on the western slope near Gunnison so might just head that way and get some free lodging too. Still thinking...

They are saying some areas in Boulder county might not be accessible for months....depending on the kind of winter we have, maybe not til next spring. Have you been to the Gunnison area before? It's quite nice and I'll bet the aspens will be in color in the surrounding forests, plus will be a nice time to visit Black Canyon of the Gunnison if that sounds appealing. I'm sure your brother will have more suggestions, if he lives around there (I'm assuming you get along OK?). You could also do a hybrid, staying with bro for part of the time then driving and staying elsewhere for a few days. Some options include visiting wineries in the Palisade area, visiting Native American ruins in the area, the hot springs I mentioned in the previous post, visiting ski areas for the lift views, and lots and lots of any type of hiking you'd care to experience. It's possible there'll be snow on the highest peaks, which is really fantastically beautiful when the aspens are also in color lower on the mountain. Good luck figuring it out....