PDA

View Full Version : Car window is down..........

CathyA
9-21-13, 3:34pm
Got in my Honda Odyssey this morning and noticed the passenger window was down. I never leave my windows down. When I pressed on the button to bring it up, it made some bad noises and I could hear parts dropping inside the door. :0! Fortunately, there's nowhere I really need to go for awhile.

Just have to figure out how to cover it up without the plastic flying away if I need to use it soon. When I take it to the Honda place, I can have some other electrical things fixed too........like the seats can't adjust, the "you left your lights on" ding doesn't ding, and the car has been locking me out.
My van is a 2001, but I plan on keeping it for at least another 5 years.
DS had a window problem and it was going to cost alot to fix. Bummer. Just wish it was stuck in the closed position instead.......

Tussiemussies
9-21-13, 3:59pm
Got in my Honda Odyssey this morning and noticed the passenger window was down. I never leave my windows down. When I pressed on the button to bring it up, it made some bad noises and I could hear parts dropping inside the door. :0! Fortunately, there's nowhere I really need to go for awhile.

Just have to figure out how to cover it up without the plastic flying away if I need to use it soon. When I take it to the Honda place, I can have some other electrical things fixed too........like the seats can't adjust, the "you left your lights on" ding doesn't ding, and the car has been locking me out.
DS had a window problem and it was going to cost alot to fix. Bummer. Just wish it was stuck in the closed position instead.......

Guess you have to figure out too, what tape you can use without ruining the surface of your car? Good luck with it...

CathyA
9-21-13, 4:05pm
We finally had alot of rain in the past 2 days (YAY!).........but now its supposed to be nice all week. I could probably drive to the Honda place with the window down, but I worry about wild things getting into the car at night! Yeah.....I was thinking I could use duct tape, but that might not be so good!

Tussiemussies
9-21-13, 4:33pm
We finally had alot of rain in the past 2 days (YAY!).........but now its supposed to be nice all week. I could probably drive to the Honda place with the window down, but I worry about wild things getting into the car at night! Yeah.....I was thinking I could use duct tape, but that might not be so good!

I agree, I wouldn't want animals in my car either!!! I would think duct tape would be hard to get off without doing damage to the paint, but maybe someone else knows more about it?

CathyA
9-21-13, 7:54pm
Thanks TM.........Right now I have a big bath towel closed in the door, and then I made it tight with some big bulldog clips. Looks real nice. ;)

Tussiemussies
9-21-13, 7:55pm
Thanks TM.........Right now I have a big bath towel closed in the door, and then I made it tight with some big bulldog clips. Looks real nice. ;)

LOL!

SteveinMN
9-22-13, 11:19am
You might have to use a lot of it, but "painter's tape" might work well as a temporary fix. The wider kind probably is better.

CathyA
9-22-13, 11:50am
Well, its supposed to be nice all week, so I think I'll drive there with the wind in my hair........and just keep the beach towel over it at night.
Gosh, how we depend on these cars!

jp1
9-22-13, 12:29pm
What about opening the door putting a large trash bag over it. Then use tape only on the bag to tighten the fit. Then put painters tape along the bottom on the outside to keep little critters from crawling in.

CathyA
9-22-13, 12:45pm
Well, what I did was use a big beach towel that I closed into the door and then used clips to tighten it to the lip of the window opening.

thinkgreen
9-22-13, 1:34pm
the "you left yourlights on" ding doesn't ding.

We have a 2002 CRV and lately this is happening to us also. Darned annoying and resulted in a dead battery for us. We are hoping for another 10 years out of it as the mileage is still very low, about 75,000 miles. I'm hoping it's just a fuse .....

ApatheticNoMore
9-22-13, 2:15pm
The many advantages of manual windows :). Gosh I love my car with manual windows and manual door locks, hope to keep the old 2004 for a long time to come, though it's nearing 100k mileage.

Blackdog Lin
9-22-13, 10:11pm
Ahh, CathyA, I truly am laughing with you, not at you. I understand.

Our "best, and everyday family vehicle" is a 1994 Chevy Astrovan. 202,000 miles and counting, and She. Just. Doesn't. Break. Down. Or. Cost. Us. Money.

BUT.....the windshield wipers.....don't get me started. Always works, but the delay function DOESN'T. Well, it delays sometimes, sometimes not. Sometimes you just have to turn the wipers off.....and they keep going for 1 or more minutes before they decide to turn off. Sometimes they quit with the wipers straight up on the windshield. Sometimes they work right. I miss having wiper-delay windshield wipers.

Passenger side seat leans back JUST A HAIR too much (as in just barely.....uncomfortable. And you know, that's my seat.). The original manual controls no longer work, it requires a wrench on the handle to work, which DH just does not/will not make provisions to accommodate.

The passenger-side window works fine (electrical windows), except when it doesn't. In the last six months, sometimes I can roll my own window up/down - and sometimes not. Sometimes it has to be done from the driver's-side controls. Thank goodness it has always so far at least worked from the driver's side. Or we'd be worrying about plastic/trash bags, like you are.

But by golly, she's paid for and she gets us everywhere we need to go with very little expense. I really should quit complaining - but I was sympathizing with your situation.....

CathyA
9-23-13, 8:37am
LOL Blackdog Lin! I'm very familiar, over the years, with cars that require lots of various different tries to get things to work!
Recently, with this van, I couldn't get it out of Park. I had to pop a cover off something on the steering column and put the key in there, put it into neutral, and then I could move it into Drive.
My car can be all unlocked, but whuke I'm putting something in the very back door, everything locks up. I got locked out at Menards once because of it.
Lots of stories like that!

Back in the 70's, I owned a very old VW Beetle. The battery was partially hanging out through the floor. There also was a hole in the floor where my feet were (in the driver's seat). I took it to a German guy who fixed German cars and told him to fix that hole as cheaply as possible. He did that by putting a metal plate on the outside bottom of the floor. Unfortunately, my shoes would sometimes get stuck on the screws that came through!
I used to have a garden plot on the other side of town. I would carry my hoe in the car with me.......which was good, because sometimes the door would pop open and I'd have to grab onto the hoe.
Also, whenever I would turn left, the horn would honk. Hahahahaha...........lots of old car "war" stories!

Blackdog Lin
9-23-13, 9:13pm
I like your car/war stories Cathy. I told you about our best vehicle. Let me tell you about the pickup truck. It's our backup/chore vehicle.

A 1996 1/2-ton Ford with only 180,000 miles on it. I am not allowed to try to use the key to lock/unlock the doors, as the locks are.....undependable (frankly, they're flat-ass broke, but DH knows the trick to using them so he won't admit the failing). I am also not allowed to TOUCH the rear-view mirror, because if you do it with your left elbow and right eyebrow in the incorrect positions it will fall off the glass. My left elbow is always I guess in the wrong position, so I am not allowed to touch it and have to use the side mirrors now. The heat works, and on a lottery-winning-kinda day the air might also work, but probably not, and the controls are accessed with channel-lock plyers. The headlight switch was also accessed for many years with channel-locks, but after an unfortunate incident (I won't go into details, but I was PISSED!!!) I now have an actual knob to turn the lights on and off. Thankfully I have been able to learn the trick to getting the tailgate up/down (basically it's a do one side while standing in a westward wind and burning an offering to the car gods - then do the other side but only with a south wind and a spitwad applied to that hinge.....or something like that) - so that helps if I'm forced to take the damn thing for hauling. Which DH blithely says at least twice a month, you know, "why don't you go by (whatever place) and pick up (whatever stuff)?" And he always says this like it's no big deal. Like driving that damn truck is.....something normal.

I have a girlfriend who gets new vehicles every 4 years or so. It's just the way they live their lives. Sometimes I think of the expense and shake my head to myself - and sometimes I understand, and envy her.....

CathyA
9-24-13, 6:56am
OMG Blackdog Lin.............that is so funny! (and unfortunate!).........but I totally can relate!
I sure hope its not Karma coming back at us! :0!