PDA

View Full Version : UPS taking used hotel soap and using it for a great cause...

Tussiemussies
9-25-13, 9:12pm
http://www.mnn.com/money/sustainable-business-practices/sponsor/ups-customers-clean-work-saves-lives

Jilly
9-25-13, 11:13pm
I read about this last year. So cool.

Tussiemussies
9-25-13, 11:16pm
I read about this last year. So cool.

I was very happy to read they are sanitizing it or sterilizing it befores sending...

catherine
9-25-13, 11:20pm
Great idea! I actually have wondered what happens to the soap that I've used once or twice at most in hotels. In fact I'm in a Marriott right now.. maybe I should let them know about this!

Tussiemussies
9-25-13, 11:42pm
Great idea! I actually have wondered what happens to the soap that I've used once or twice at most in hotels. In fact I'm in a Marriott right now.. maybe I should let them know about this!

Great idea Catherine to let Marriott know bout it....

sweetana3
9-26-13, 8:10am
We gather used linens from hotels and other locations and use them in animal care situations. The animals don't care if the sheets and towels are used. We get them by the truckload sometimes.

jp1
9-26-13, 9:26am
This is a great idea. I don't understand why more hotels don't do this. SO's hotel has for years collected the soaps to donate to a charity that does something similar with them. Since this is San Francisco they didn't have any trouble getting the union housekeepers to agree to go to effort of collecting them, as well as collecting and keeping separate recycling bags from each room. I believe they also collect the half used bottles of shampoo, merge them into large bottles and donate it to homeless shelters and battered women's shelters and the like.

Tussiemussies
9-26-13, 3:07pm
We gather used linens from hotels and other locations and use them in animal care situations. The animals don't care if the sheets and towels are used. We get them by the truckload sometimes.

This is a fantastic idea! How can we get more hotels on board with this?

Tussiemussies
9-26-13, 3:10pm
This is a great idea. I don't understand why more hotels don't do this. SO's hotel has for years collected the soaps to donate to a charity that does something similar with them. Since this is San Francisco they didn't have any trouble getting the union housekeepers to agree to go to effort of collecting them, as well as collecting and keeping separate recycling bags from each room. I believe they also collect the half used bottles of shampoo, merge them into large bottles and donate it to homeless shelters and battered women's shelters and the like.

If they are collecting soap that wasn't used by the customer, I think it is great, but if it is leftover soap, I definitely think it needs to be sanitized or sterilized before using it. But it is a great program!

jp1
9-27-13, 10:33am
I have no idea what they do to the soaps after collected. I assume they're not just giving scraps of soap to poor people.