PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new job today!

redfox
10-1-13, 12:26pm
I am very pleased to be working on the development team at a local theatre. The position is funded at not great pay until the new year, when it jumps in pay quite considerably. The best part: full, good medical benefits with the same place I am being treated for the cancer I was diagnosed with in April -- and I am presumed to be cancer free at this point.

The person who hired me knows me, recruited me, and knows of my medical challenges this year. She is essentially carving out a position for me, to help her with growing the department, and to support her... I've been doing some pro bono consulting with her this summer.

I am super stoked. I'm also able to keep my one 10 hour a week consulting client till year's end, with my new director's approval. My income is about to double, then go up another 40% in January. Whew! I'll be able to replenish my retirement fund I had to cash out to treat cancer.

My only worry... Will I have the stamina to do this? It has been a hard year, and I haven't had much stamina. My director told me she's working on getting me a laptop so I can do some work from home, which will help. Just having the medical coverage is huge... Ok, better ready for my first day! I start at noon...

razz
10-1-13, 12:28pm
Wishing you all success and satisfaction in this new position! Sounds perfect especially being recruited for the new position so well done!

gimmethesimplelife
10-1-13, 12:33pm
Good luck and what great news! Best of wishes with it! Not only do the benefits sound great, but it sounds like something that might be enjoyable, meaningful in some kind of way, and not just something you tolerate to pay bills and scheme ways out of....Run with it and make it great! Rob

Florence
10-1-13, 12:46pm
Wonderful news!! I am so happy for you!!

SteveinMN
10-1-13, 12:51pm
Great news, redfox! Good luck and keep juggling all those employment balls! :)

catherine
10-1-13, 12:57pm
Congrats! I'm jealous--you get to work for a theatre! Good luck with it--hope you enjoy it!

KayLR
10-1-13, 1:12pm
Awesome news, Redfox....go get 'em!

Tussiemussies
10-1-13, 1:13pm
Congratulations! Sounds very exciting and that you are working with a woman who has compassion since she is trying to accommodate you!

Tradd
10-1-13, 1:19pm
Sounds great. Let us know how it.goes.

Gardenarian
10-1-13, 1:21pm
Best of luck redfox!

frugalone
10-1-13, 1:27pm
Allow me to offer my best wishes and congratulations on your new endeavor! :cool:

Selah
10-1-13, 1:32pm
Excellent! Such great news...break a leg, so to speak! :)

JaneV2.0
10-1-13, 1:41pm
A tailor-made gig--all best to you!

Float On
10-1-13, 3:12pm
Wonderful!!!!:cool:

Simpler at Fifty
10-1-13, 3:20pm
You deserve this RedFox. Woo hoo.

nswef
10-1-13, 3:24pm
Redfox, That is just wonderful news!

SiouzQ.
10-1-13, 3:25pm
Congratulations to you! Please do all you can to take care of yourself so you can build up your stamina.

Valley
10-1-13, 5:18pm
Wonderful news...I think you will gain some of your stamina when you no longer have to constantly worry about the cost of your medical care. I'm glad that life is looking better for you!:cool:

Dhiana
10-1-13, 5:37pm
YAY!!!!! Great News!!

Jilly
10-1-13, 5:58pm
Hoo-ray-yay! Thinking strength-ly thoughts and sending chocolate.

CathyA
10-1-13, 6:18pm
Great news Redfox! So happy for you!

puglogic
10-3-13, 10:11pm
Yay, RF! A fun new adventure!

Tussiemussies
10-3-13, 10:35pm
Very glad for you! Best of luck for you!

redfox
10-3-13, 11:20pm
Thanks, all. It's been pretty awesome thus far. Here is the website for the theatre I am now on the development staff for: http://www.acttheatre.org Being back at a theatre is remarkable. Such good environs... And live theatre!

My Director is letting me work from home on Fridays. I am able to keep my one consulting client till year's end, which is great for me & for them. Tomorrow I have a convo with the board president with my client agency to present a transition plan to an interim ED I have found, who would be amazing.

I am tired, commuting downtown & being back full time, but is a great opportunity.

Tussiemussies
10-3-13, 11:56pm
Thanks, all. It's been pretty awesome thus far. Here is the website for the theatre I am now on the development for: http://www.acttheatre.org Being back at a theatre is remarkable. Such good environs... And live theatre!

My Directors letting me work from home on Fridays. I am able to keep my one consulting client till year's end, which is great for me & for them. Tomorrow I have a convo with the board president with my client agency to present a transition plan to an interim ED I have found, who would be amazing.

I am tired, commuting downtown & being back full time, but is a great opportunity.

Looked at the theatre website and it looks great. How wonderful is that, that you get to work in an environment that you like and working from home on Fridays. Hopefully your body will get used to the longer hours in about a month, I would think. It really does sound like a super opportunity! Chris

lhamo
10-4-13, 5:16am
ACT is awesome! So glad you found a place that will offer you benefits. Hope it works out well for you and them.

lhamo

Gardenarian
10-8-13, 3:35pm
How is the job going?

Tussiemussies
10-8-13, 8:44pm
I'd like to know too!

Lainey
10-10-13, 12:19am
Chiming in late to say congrats, well-deserved.

redfox
10-10-13, 12:51am
It's rocking! We have an Opening Night tomorrow, and a Gala in two weeks... extrovert heaven. And perfect challenges in fundraising thus far. One week in, loving it. Pacing is hard, self-care a challenge. I forgot to eat lunch today. Also getting enough sleep! Goodnight. More this weekend.

Gardenarian
10-10-13, 1:23pm
It sounds like so much fun! I'm so glad you're happy with your new situation.

Tussiemussies
10-10-13, 1:26pm
So glad you had a great week! This job sounds really good for you!

Azure
10-11-13, 7:27pm
I'm so happy for you that it is working out so well. How exciting. Sounds like the perfect fit for you so far.

We had dinner with my son's friend & the friend's girlfriend. She is a college student but she has a job as a dresser at the Wharton center in E. Lansing. She absolutely loves it! She would love it even more if there were more plays so she could do it more.

Zoebird
10-21-13, 3:16am
Sounds so awesome! :D Also, glad to hear the cancer free process, too! :D