PDA

View Full Version : a-ha

Zoe Girl
3-7-11, 10:27am
Not only am I amazingly smarter to my 20 yo kid living on her own, but I got to see what I have taught her as she acts in a stressful situation.

The background is that I have not raised my kids with a serious black and white mentality. Right now it seems to be soo much more work since we have to negotiate everything and I have made sure I listen to them so they expect that. I have also been told that since kids cannot really make logical decisions until 25 or 30 that having them participate in decisions isn't that helpful or developmentally appropriate. I have held them to some level of responsibility as they get each new stage of participating in decisions. With the active depression/anxiety and other stuff my parenting style has been taking a HUGE hit lately with the more rule bound style looking pretty good.

So my oldest is living on her own, paying her bills, has roomates and a job she just got a raise at. Now she is realizing that her MOST stable friends are also crazy and she is in a lease with them. It has taken the form of personal attacks on her and a lot of yelling and screaming. This is taking a huge toll obviously. She has been talking to me about it but the real thing I see is that she has learned from what I taught and modeled for her. I was so afraid that all my kids learned from my abusive marriage was crap. In the arguments she is standing up for herself the best she can and saying over and over that it is not okay to scream at her. The other person is making personal attacks on her work ethic, her character, the messiness of her own room she pays rent for, etc. Erica is sticking to not attacking her personally. Wow, I know we all get to a point in our lives when we realize that shouting back some crappy thing only makes us feel good for a short time but ends up escalating and not solving anything but I am pretty impressed she is doing this at 20.

Do I get a mommy gold star? I feel overdue for onecow-hi

Stella
3-7-11, 11:59am
I have also been told that since kids cannot really make logical decisions until 25 or 30

Wow. My understanding of child development from my parents, both of whom have advanced degrees in the subject, is that the ability to make rational decisions begins to develop at age 7 and increases to include rational decision making in the abstract (hypotheticals and all that) around age 12. My husband is in that 25-30 age range and is a functioning, responsible parent, student and small business owner.

I'm really happy to hear that Erica is standing up for herself though. That is something it took me a long time to learn to do well and it really is an important life skill. So yes, a gold star on that one for sure!

razz
3-7-11, 5:39pm
We need a gold star smiley for a variety of reasons and this is one of them. Well done!!

ApatheticNoMore
3-7-11, 5:50pm
Wow. My understanding of child development from my parents, both of whom have advanced degrees in the subject, is that the ability to make rational decisions begins to develop at age 7 and increases to include rational decision making in the abstract (hypotheticals and all that) around age 12.

Yea the not able to make rational decisions until 25-30 seems off. It may be based on the idea that impulse control isn't as strong as a teenager etc., which might be, but the only way to develop that is by experience, not by waking up one day at 25 or 30 suddenly able to make all your own decisions when you've never made any in your life before.

But whatever works, if your daughter is doing well for herself, great.

take a star:

Zoe Girl
3-7-11, 8:43pm
The latest is that her roomates want her out and gave her until April 1st. This is probably the BEST for her as she can get off the lease when they put the new person on. Then she can stay here until she gets back on her feet and finds a really DECENT roomie this time. Meanwhile the other person is still just saying every hurtful thing she can think of,

redfox
3-7-11, 10:42pm
Our frontal lobes are not fully formed until around age 25. We can still make decisions though!