PDA

View Full Version : Ants in the house!

Greg44
3-7-11, 2:26pm
This has been driving us C R A Z Y. Small sugar ants. Just when we think are rit of them they are back!

First they came to the kitchen. Counters, dishwasher, floor, etc. We became very vigilant on keeping everything clean, no crumbs, etc.

Then in the living room, in the bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. I have no idea what they are looking for to eat...

We have set out those little food bait traps where they go in eat the poison and take it back to kill the colony. They have shown no interest in them - at least where I have seen. Being the man of the house for some reason all pests are my responsibility to kill!

Anyone had success in getting rid of these critters?

Mrs-M
3-7-11, 2:43pm
Here's a recipe Greg44 that eliminates ants like no other. Mix equal parts (Borax and fine granulated or powdered white sugar). Spread around affected areas. Amazing!!! Neighbours of ours had an infestation of Carpenter Ants a few years ago and they tried EVERYTHING to get rid of them, all to no avail. Then one day while my husband was out cutting the lawn they got talking to him about it and DH told them about the simple homemade recipe. The neighbours bought the stuff, mixed it to DH's instructions, and laid it out. Two weeks later, the end. Over, done, finished. No more ants, not a one. To date they have not seen hide nor hair of so much as a single Carpenter Ant!

treehugger
3-7-11, 2:44pm
They definitely come in the house in search of water, not just food. So keeping things clean with no crumbs, doesn't always help (and also explains why they show up in other rooms).

As far as the traps, I have heard that ants are either interested in sugar or protein (the ones here always seem to get into the cat food), so the type of food in the traps you bought may be the wrong kind for "your" ants. So, ask at the hardware store the differences between traps and bait.

This can be a very (very!) frustrating problem, I know from experience. So, good luck! You will eventually find the proper bait and traps, so hang in there.

Sad Eyed Lady
3-7-11, 4:51pm
I agree with Mrs-M, Borax is what we have had to use a couple of times when we have gotten fleas in the house. It sure took care of that problem with less toxicity. Also, just last night a friend was saying that self-rising flour put out in some small containers (like a lid) is effective against ants. I don't know how this works but she said it did. However, I cannot speak from experience on that.

HappyHiker
3-15-11, 8:32pm
I had ants in my house last year, came in through the bedroom window, and were in bed with me..how annoying was that!? A friend told me to put white vinegar in a spray bottle and spray all around the window frame and around the floor baseboards, which I did. Ants gone (first I stripped the bed and washed all linens in very hot water).

These ants were the regular larger variety, though, not those pesky sugar ants, so your mileage may vary.

Greg44
3-15-11, 9:14pm
This past weekend I spoke with a pest man at the local Home and Garden Show. He recommended that I use Terro which has Borax in it. He said baiting them is the best for sugar ants. So I set out some Terro - it is kinda messy - squirt some liquid on a little cardboard square (abt an inch sq). Last night we put it down where we saw a "trail" in the living room.

This is the first bait we have used that they are attracted to. Man oh man, they love this stuff. They called all their little friends from under the molding to come out and feast on the stuff. They literally circled the liquid like they were bellying up to the bar!

This a.m. they are all gone from that area! We may be one to something here. I think the key is finding their trail and putting out a bait they like - LOVE. Hopefully they took their new found food back to the Queen and fed her plenty!:+1:

Mrs-M
3-15-11, 11:00pm
Fingers crossed for you Greg44! :)

Tiam
3-15-11, 11:50pm
My ants like both. Always. We use Terro, which is borax and sugar. but we have to keep putting it out and it's always a struggle. I've heard they won't cross chili powder? Or is it cinnamon?