PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Free Kindle books

seekingsimplicity
3-7-11, 5:08pm
Someone recommended the free Kindle book Letters from a Woman Homesteader which is excellent-----so thank you whomever you are!

Are there others any of you have have enjoyed?

The Storyteller
3-11-11, 11:19am
I have Kindle, Nook, and Google Book apps on my android. Nothing like carrying a library around in your pocket. I've only had it a week or two, but so far am enjoying...

Moby Dick (interesting companion book to read simultaneously is The Heart of the Sea, the story about the real Moby Dick and the tragedy of the Essex)
Origin of Species
Anything Jane Austin
Walden

loosechickens
3-11-11, 1:22pm
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D133141011&field-keywords=Slave+Narratives&x=16&y=21

These are the result of a WPA project in about 1938, I think, where they sent interviewers around to interview elderly black people who had been born into slavery, about their experiences during slavery, the Civil War and afterward.

Some were just small children, of course, but the oldest interviewed were teenagers before the War, and their first person accounts of their lives, the lives of their parents and grandparents, and insights as to realities during the Civil War from a perspective seldom heard was not only riveting and interesting, but I learned a huge amount I didn't know before, which led me into lots of interesting Googling afterward.

One of my favorite Kindle books, AND free......doesn't get much better than that.

IshbelRobertson
3-11-11, 6:30pm
A friend told me about www.gutenberg.org where you can get LOADS of books for your kindle, absolutely free - if they are out of copyright. I've downloaded a number of books which I had despaired of ever seeing again!