PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a new dishwashing liquid...

Tussiemussies
10-21-13, 2:40pm
Have been using Dawn for quite sometime now it just works great and is compatible with the septic system. Recently I heard that they are still testing their products on animals even though they are helping wildlife with oil spills. Many home based cleaners have Dawn as an ingredient.

Does anyone use something that was not tested on animals, phosphorous free, safe for septic and is powerful?

I will keep searching the Internet.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. making my own is not an option...

Rogar
10-21-13, 2:55pm
I use Seventh Generation. I have read a lot about them and am convinced they are a very responsible company. Their dishwashing liquid is plant based and a little seems to go a long way even though it might be more expensive. They do not test on animals and their products are phosphate free. They have a lot of information on their web site if you want more information, especially under FAQs.

ApatheticNoMore
10-21-13, 3:13pm
I use Seventh Generation. I have read a lot about them and am convinced they are a very responsible company. Their dishwashing liquid is plant based and a little seems to go a long way even though it might be more expensive.

Likewise. Yea it lasts awhile. Lavender scented is nice :) Btw, I do dishes by hand so it's just the ordinary hand dishwashing stuff from them.

try2bfrugal
10-21-13, 3:55pm
I am trying to switch over to either home made products or ones listed as safe by EWG -

http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners

SteveinMN
10-21-13, 4:22pm
Seventh Generation here as well. It really does not take much product to do a good job. Maybe someday I'll get to making my own detergents and such; for as little of the 7G as we use, though, I'm fine with it almost whatever the price.

puglogic
10-21-13, 6:49pm
I use Seventh Generation as well. It is not going to be as "powerful" as something like Dawn, but my priorities have changed and I really prefer to scrub a tiny bit if I have to, rather than using anything full of toxins like that any more. I've never once had something that I couldn't get off with 7 Gen, and like Steve says, a little goes a long way. I'll often use half a bottle and then dilute the remainder with more water to stretch it even further.

Tussiemussies
10-21-13, 7:44pm
Thanks everyone...I am going to look into Seventh Generation although I am used to the cleaning power of Dawn, I guess I will get used to it though....

Tussiemussies
10-21-13, 7:45pm
I am trying to switch over to either home made products or ones listed as safe by EWG -

http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners

Thank you so much for posting this website. I bookmarked it and am going to look over it more closely...chris

try2bfrugal
10-22-13, 2:47pm
I would go cautiously on anything with Lavender. It seems to be able to alter human hormones -

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/jan2007/niehs-31.htm

Tussiemussies
10-22-13, 8:18pm
I would go cautiously on anything with Lavender. It seems to be able to alter human hormones -

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/jan2007/niehs-31.htm

Hi frugal, thanks for posting that report. It was only about young boys though and essential oils as far as I know do not have a guide for dispensing them for children and babies. So far after all these years of using them, I haven't seen material for babies and children. I could be wrong though...

I looked up the seventh generation dishwashing liquid on Amazon and it was extremely expensive. Approximately $17.00. That is too much for me to spend. My DH saw it in either Lowes or Home Dpot and we will price it there. I am going to look over the website that was posted and see if there is anything else that may compare....

Thanks...chris

SteveinMN
10-22-13, 8:26pm
Chris, the Amazon price you quoted for Seventh Generation is for six bottles (!). This link (http://www.amazon.com/Seventh-Generation-Natural-Unscented-25-Ounce/dp/B002NS2D7U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382487838&sr=8-3&keywords=seventh+generation+dish+soap) is for a two-pack of similar-sized bottles and under $7 without shipping. That squares far closer with what I'm paying for it at the co-op.

Tussiemussies
10-22-13, 8:47pm
Chris, the Amazon price you quoted for Seventh Generation is for six bottles (!). This link (http://www.amazon.com/Seventh-Generation-Natural-Unscented-25-Ounce/dp/B002NS2D7U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382487838&sr=8-3&keywords=seventh+generation+dish+soap) is for a two-pack of similar-sized bottles and under $7 without shipping. That squares far closer with what I'm paying for it at the co-op.

Oops! LOL! Okay, I am going to check it at the stores I mentioned. Will report back with prices. Thanks for catching that Steve!

try2bfrugal
10-22-13, 8:47pm
Hi frugal, thanks for posting that report. It was only about young boys though and essential oils as far as I know do not have a guide for dispensing them for children and babies. So far after all these years of using them, I haven't seen material for babies and children. I could be wrong though...

I think the take away for me is that if boys can have their hormones disrupted by lavender soap men, women and girls are not necessarily immune - it is just that the effects have not yet been well studied.

Tussiemussies
10-22-13, 8:52pm
I think the take away for me is that if boys can have their hormones disrupted by lavender soap men, women and girls are not necessarily immune - it is just that the effects have not yet been well studied.

Think they should do more studies on this since more and more people are using tea tree oil and lavender for alternative cleaning and for many homemade alternative therapies. Hope it happens...chris

reader99
10-23-13, 8:35am
Thanks everyone...I am going to look into Seventh Generation although I am used to the cleaning power of Dawn, I guess I will get used to it though....

I like the 7th gen lavender too. I add a couple tablespoons of vinegar to the bottle to enhance its grease cutting abilities.

catherine
10-23-13, 9:18am
Wow, interesting article, try2bfrugal. I have used Melaleuca (a tea tree oil) for several years, because my SIL was selling it.

So hard to know what to use. I know that Thich Nhat Hanh (the Vietnamese monk) spoke in one of his books of washing dishes with ashes and scrubbing with corn husks. Now THERE'S an eco-friendly solution!

herbgeek
10-23-13, 12:01pm
3 children doesn't prove anything, imo. They could have come down with this issue anyways, given the rarity of this. I'd much prefer using something with an essential oil in it, than artificial scents that are petroleum based. There would need to be a larger study, with more conclusive results before I personally would be worried. For all anyone knows, maybe its the peanut butter sandwiches they may have all eaten for lunch everyday. ;)

- feeling that with my username I have to come to the defense of poor lavender.

try2bfrugal
10-23-13, 12:38pm
3 children doesn't prove anything, imo. They could have come down with this issue anyways, given the rarity of this. I'd much prefer using something with an essential oil in it, than artificial scents that are petroleum based. There would need to be a larger study, with more conclusive results before I personally would be worried. For all anyone knows, maybe its the peanut butter sandwiches they may have all eaten for lunch everyday. ;)

- feeling that with my username I have to come to the defense of poor lavender.

I found the study because we started having some odd symptoms after switching to lavender soap in my family, so make that 4. And the symptoms went away when we switched back to our regular soap.

Tussiemussies
10-23-13, 1:58pm
I found the study because we started having some odd symptoms after switching to lavender soap in my family, so make that 4. And the symptoms went away when we switched back to our regular soap.

Hi frugal, Did the lavender soap have real lavender essential oil, or just the fragrance? That could make a difference.

try2bfrugal
10-23-13, 2:14pm
Hi frugal, Did the lavender soap have real lavender essential oil, or just the fragrance? That could make a difference.

I don't know anymore. It was a few years ago now. We just started using a new soap with Lavender, a male member of the family suddenly had the issue from the study. I went online to see if there could be a link since soap is something that would come in direct contact with the chest. I didn't know if that was the cause at first but it was the only recent change to our environmental factors I could think of.

And bingo. Right away I found the research study so we switched back to our regular unscented soap the problem went away.

Tussiemussies
10-23-13, 3:17pm
Hi again frugal, glad that the problem went away. Hopefully they will do more testing on this. Thanks for the alert...chris