PDA

View Full Version : Glacier Info request

frugal-one
10-24-13, 4:55pm
Planning a trip... looking for lodging, restaurant and tips. We plan on flying and renting a car so additional sights to see. Thanks!!!! frugal-one

ApatheticNoMore
10-24-13, 5:15pm
Planning a trip to where? Do you mean Glacier national park? (well the only other glaciers I can think of are in Alaska). Pity you're flying then as the train goes right there, right up to the lodge, it's the ultimate train destination build back in the day for trains. I took the train and stayed in the lodge right in the park. The lodge is nice, though perhaps not the cheapest lodging in the area. Then I took sightseeing busses (yea they make it pretty non-car accessible). It's an impressive national park, probably one of the best, though less famous than some.

bae
10-24-13, 5:23pm
I second the train recommendation!

frugal-one
10-24-13, 5:30pm
Based on time, cost to board dog, etc.... train is not an option.

Azure
10-24-13, 5:44pm
Planning a trip to where? Do you mean Glacier national park? (well the only other glaciers I can think of are in Alaska). Pity you're flying then as the train goes right there, right up to the lodge, it's the ultimate train destination build back in the day for trains. I took the train and stayed in the lodge right in the park. The lodge is nice, though perhaps not the cheapest lodging in the area. Then I took sightseeing busses (yea they make it pretty non-car accessible). It's an impressive national park, probably one of the best, though less famous than some.

This is something I would absolutely love to do!

Miss Cellane
10-24-13, 6:07pm
My brother just got back from a trip which included a week at Glacier (his treat to himself after a year in Afghanistan). He can't stop talking about it. It was his favorite of all the National Parks he visited--and he went to Yellowstone and Grand Canyon, among others.

He was camping in a tent, so not a lot of useful info for you. (He's still not sure if the large animal that tried to sit on his tent one night was a bear or a moose.) But you shouldn't miss Going to the Sun Road, if it is still open when you get there.

Aqua Blue
10-25-13, 10:03am
If you are healthy the hike to Sperry chalet is great. You stay over night.

Aqua Blue
10-25-13, 10:04am
If you are healthy the hike to Sperry chalet is great. You stay over night. You need to book them about 6mo in advance. Hiking is the way to see Glacier.

jennipurrr
10-28-13, 4:25pm
We stayed in a forest service cabin near glacier. It was pretty spartan and they book up early, but it was great for wildlife viewing. It was on the river and we saw deer, black bear, and a wolf(!!!) nearby. When I have more time I will try to find it for you.

rose
11-10-13, 9:55am
Frugal-one,
I visited Glacier Nat'l Park in September via Amtrak. I stayed in East Glacier where the Lodge is. I didn't want to pay the Glacier Lodge rates so stayed in a motel that was walking distance. The lodge is beautiful and I would recommend staying there if you can though people that I talked to said the rooms were old and not that great but the ambiance of the lodge is wonderful. I spent a lot of time there just enjoying the comfy chairs and the fireplace and the views. I met some people that stay at cabins right near the East Glacier Lodge, walking distance, and they come back every year. They love the cabins and the cost was half as much as the lodge. Unfortunately I can't find my note with the name of the cabins. I took the Park's "red bus" on the Road to the Sun as I was traveling without a car. Had a beautiful day and a humorous driver. I think it was $80. I didn't get to see many glaciers. There used to be 149. Now 25. They expect them to be gone by 2030 I think the driver said. Most of them that are left are on the north side of the park which my trip didn't include. I only stayed two nights but kind of wish I would have spent more time to take the Red Bus trip to the Canadian side -- Waterton Park. I think that would have been interesting. You do see snowfields but only saw a couple of glaciers from a great distance. Much different from my visit to Norway a couple of years ago where we walked on the glaciers. The park is beautiful but I like Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon more. Enjoy! I love National Parks.

jennipurrr
11-10-13, 2:26pm
Here is where we stayed - http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Ben_Rover_Cabin/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=75206&topTabIndex=Search

You can search the recreation.gov site for places all over the country also!

Alan
11-10-13, 3:01pm
Frugal-one, hoping that you'll post about your adventures once you've returned. We're planning on going there next summer. Our initial plan was to make it a motorcycle & tent camping trip, for the adventure of a 3900 mile round trip, although my wife thinks it would be better to start off in the motorhome, park it at Custer State Park outside Rapid City and continue on the motorcycle from there.

Either way, once we arrive we'll stay about a week or so and would love to know you're impressions.

Spartana
11-13-13, 12:23pm
Frugal-one, hoping that you'll post about your adventures once you've returned. We're planning on going there next summer. Our initial plan was to make it a motorcycle & tent camping trip, for the adventure of a 3900 mile round trip, although my wife thinks it would be better to start off in the motorhome, park it at Custer State Park outside Rapid City and continue on the motorcycle from there.

Either way, once we arrive we'll stay about a week or so and would love to know you're impressions.I'd go with your wife's very wise idea. I did a motorcycle ride from SoCal to Glacier, tent camping all the way, when I first "retired" and it was rough. Wet, wet stuff, cold, dry, hot, bugs, bugs, bugs, sore butt, sore back, sore arms, sore butt :-). If I had a motorhome to drive the majority of the way the there and also to use as a "base camp" to go back to at the end of the day while I rode my MC the to tour around on, I think I would have enjoyed that trip (all 5 weeks of it) much better.

Also hoping Frugal One (and you too Alan) posts about her trip - with lots of photos!!

Spartana
11-13-13, 12:47pm
oh and bears, bears, bears, bears - forgot about them. The tent next to me got trashed one night by a bear and when you are on a MC there really isn't anywhere to run if the bears decided to visit your tent looking for a pic-a-nic basket :-)!

Alan
11-13-13, 1:41pm
oh and bears, bears, bears, bears - forgot about them. The tent next to me got trashed one night by a bear and when you are on a MC there really isn't anywhere to run if the bears decided to visit your tent looking for a pic-a-nic basket :-)!
Good point. A couple of years ago we were riding along the Cherohala Skyway outside Tellico Plains TN., when a black bear raced across the road right in front of us. I say raced because it bounded out of the woods to our left, crossed in front of us and jumped the guardrail to our right with such speed and fluidity that I was truly amazed. So amazed that I immediately pulled the bike over to the shoulder (a couple of feet from the guardrail) and tried to spot the bear again in the underbrush. As soon as we stopped, my wife (being the practical person that she is) asked "Is the guardrail the only thing between us and him?"

Up to that moment I hadn't felt exposed, but as you know, things can change quickly in the wild. In this case, we quickly left.

Spartana
11-13-13, 3:02pm
Good point. A couple of years ago we were riding along the Cherohala Skyway outside Tellico Plains TN., when a black bear raced across the road right in front of us. I say raced because it bounded out of the woods to our left, crossed in front of us and jumped the guardrail to our right with such speed and fluidity that I was truly amazed. So amazed that I immediately pulled the bike over to the shoulder (a couple of feet from the guardrail) and tried to spot the bear again in the underbrush. As soon as we stopped, my wife (being the practical person that she is) asked "Is the guardrail the only thing between us and him?"

Up to that moment I hadn't felt exposed, but as you know, things can change quickly in the wild. In this case, we quickly left.So your wife's both beautiful AND practical! Lucky guy - she has probably kept you alive a time or two :-)!

I saw a video about a guy riding his motorcycle somewhere and an elk ran right into him, knocked him down. Another "road hazard" to think about in Glacier - along with wolves and moose and squirrel! OK maybe not moose or wolves. That's only on the ride thru the Minnesota woods on the way there :-)

frugal-one
11-15-13, 7:22pm
Here is where we stayed - http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Ben_Rover_Cabin/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=75206&topTabIndex=Search

You can search the recreation.gov site for places all over the country also!

Thanks for the link Jennipurr!!!

I did call to reserve in park lodges the end of October. I could not get good rooms even though we are going August 2014. I asked how much further in advance to get the "good" rooms and was told they started taking reservations in January 2013 for the next year. Still have lots of planning but at least have a start. Will work on this more in the winter.