PDA

View Full Version : Good old fashioned baking

Spider In The Bath
3-8-11, 2:41am
I remember when I was younger my mother used to have a baking day once a week. She would make apple pies, crumbles and cakes and the smell and taste was amazing.

We eat really well with lots of fruit and vegetables, but we do like the occasional treat and so I have decided to resurrect baking day. I started last week and made a tea loaf. This is a fruit loaf where you soak the dried fruit in tea and the cake comes over very moist. This week I made a lemon drizzle cake which was lovely and I am going to make some fruit scones for the end of the week.

Does anyone else bake regulary?

redfox
3-8-11, 3:24am
In the winter I bake bread regularly.

IshbelRobertson
3-8-11, 5:20am
I do. Cakes, scones, tattie scones, oatcakes, bar cakes (like your teacake) like gingercake,lemon drizzle, etc; Dundee cakes, fairy cakes, bread, rolls.. You name it, I probably bake it. But then, I'm Scots, most of us still grow up learning to bake at our mother and granny's knees!

BTW - welcome back, Cath-W!

Merski
3-8-11, 7:54am
I love to bake! My husband and MIL have a sweet tooth and I'd rather them eat my baking with real ingredients rather than the stuff from the store. DH is supposed to bake his artisan-like bread once a week. I like making cakes, biscotti, scones, pies and cookie bars...don't like making cookies...

Stella
3-8-11, 8:30am
I love baking and do it all the time. Tomorrow is my oldest kid's 7th birthday so today we will be baking chocolate cupcakes with malted buttercream frosting and a whopper candy on top.

We like to bake breads, pies, cakes, scones, muffins, bars, cookies, biscuits...pretty much anything you can think of. My daughters are particularly fond of baking and decorating cakes.

earthshepherd
3-8-11, 8:31am
I bake tons of cookies, and they disappear so quickly I don't have time to be tempted by them. With the continual parade of men and boys in my family, cookies don't usually have time to cool.
When I am baking for the more discriminating palate I make homemade cakes, biscotti and scones. Yum!

Mrs-M
3-8-11, 8:45am
This is my kind of thread! I do bake regularly, more so in the winter months. I'm finding that now that the kids are getting older and growing more and more independent all the time, it's freeing up time and energy for me to do other things, baking being one of them!

peggy
3-8-11, 8:53am
I like to bake, and do so semi-regular when helping my gluten free sister with her bakery. Unfortunately, I also like to eat bakery stuff soooo, I don't do so much just for the family anymore.

Miss Cellane
3-8-11, 8:58am
I like sweets, so to control how much I eat, I can only eat what I bake. Won't let myself buy cakes or cookies. So I bake cookies and brownies and muffins and quick breads and the occasional cake. I also bake bread a couple of times a month.

I've found if I have a batch of cookies waiting for me in the kitchen, I'm less likely to binge on cookies. If I know there's a ready supply of sweet things, I eat less of them, for reasons I don't completely understand.

And besides, Grandma's blond brownie recipe is far tastier than anything I could buy.

Bootsie
3-8-11, 9:14am
I'm moving in this direction. I made a commitment to myself this year that I would be a regular contributor to the church's coffee hour. This is putting me into the habit of baking once a week, though I'm not making more than the one thing at a time.

My daughter likes to bake bread and I'm encouraging her to set aside a specific time every week to do it. I need to get her back on that project because it fizzled out....and I want the bread!

Rosemary
3-8-11, 9:45am
I bake all our own bread. I don't bake treats regularly as we try to eat a low-sugar diet.

CathyA
3-8-11, 11:17am
I love to cook and bake. Unfortunately, I tend to eat most of it myself! So I try to restrain myself.

treehugger
3-8-11, 11:53am
I bake regularly, although not on a set day per week. I always have muffins in the freezer, and I am baking bread regularly now. Every few weeks I bake cookies or a cake. I have always enjoyed baking, and these days I admit I turn to it recreationally since it's one of the few hobbies/pastimes/entertainment activities that fits in my budget.

daisy
3-8-11, 2:06pm
I love to bake, but my DH has been on a diet since September and that has put a big damper on my baking endeavors. I have only baked a few sweets this winter, but I have been baking sourdough bread regularly.

ApatheticNoMore
3-8-11, 2:24pm
I only bake occasionally for potlucks and so on. Because a batch of sweets with just me around to eat it. No .... just NO I tell you .... it might not last the day :0!

SRP
3-8-11, 3:08pm
I love to bake bread, but not desserts. Lucky for me, my mom lives right down the road, and baking is her hobby. Goodness me can that woman bake! I'm so lucky!

Glo
3-8-11, 6:33pm
I used to bake pies and cakes for a local eatery. DS3 used to work there and that's how I got started with them. DS3 quit and they stopped ordering from me. But customers contacted DS so I started baking for individuals. I do as much as I want and looks like I'll be busy for Easter. I love baking and eating all that stuff. But since I started weigh****chers in January, I'm no longer eating my own baked goods. I have experimented with some of the baked ww deserts and they're pretty good. For some reason, though, I'm not craving sweets nowadays so I'm limiting intake of ww deserts. I'm not limiting fruit and I believe that takes care of my sugar cravings.

treehugger
3-8-11, 7:21pm
"weigh****chers"! LOL, now that's a new one for the over-active censor here!

puglogic
3-8-11, 10:02pm
I usually bake on Sundays - the same day we make big batches of chili, spaghetti sauce, lasagna, fruit salad, etc. for the week ahead. We haven't eaten store-bought bread in quite a long time. And I almost always make some sort of fruit/vegetable bread -- zucchini, banana-nut, carrot, sweet potato, raisin. I love to bake. It's meditative.

Spider In The Bath
3-9-11, 1:59am
Like puglogic I have also started to bake on Sundays as I have more time as not at work.

I forgot to say earlier that I also bake a lot of my own bread too. We have been very good at not scoffing the cakes make in one go too. Once something is baked we cut it into individual portions and then store the leftovers to eat over the next few days.

Wildflower
3-9-11, 4:09am
I love to bake in the wintertime. With each new snowstorm's arrival, you will find me in the kitchen baking and filling the house with wonderful aromas. But in the summertime, not so much....

IshbelRobertson
3-9-11, 5:56am
For health reasons I am unable to eat any of the cakes/goodies I bake (except for unsweetened) - and I never had much of a sweet tooth anyway - but they still get eaten! I haven't eaten a piece of cake or chocolate or pudding for nearly three years - and I don't really miss it at all.

Spider In The Bath
3-9-11, 12:55pm
For health reasons I am unable to eat any of the cakes/goodies I bake (except for unsweetened) - and I never had much of a sweet tooth anyway - but they still get eaten! I haven't eaten a piece of cake or chocolate or pudding for nearly three years - and I don't really miss it at all.

If you are travelling through Yorkshire at any time then I am happy to sample any of your wares. I don't mind really...not it is not a problem at all.

Tweety
3-9-11, 4:23pm
Back when I was cooking for the family of 7, and all of the kids were athletes with huge appetites, I used to bake every afternoon. Bread, hamburger buns, cakes, cookies, quickbreads, coffee cakes, anything to fill the kids up without breaking the budget.
Now it's just me and 2 cats, so I hardly ever bake any more unless I need to take something to a potluck dinner.

IshbelRobertson
3-9-11, 5:12pm
If you are travelling through Yorkshire at any time then I am happy to sample any of your wares. I don't mind really...not it is not a problem at all.

Well, rest assured, next time I'm driving through the Dales (we've got friends in Harrogate and Scarborough!) I'll certainly call in to give you a sample. How's your Parkin?!

Jinger
3-9-11, 6:42pm
Unfortunately, I love to bake from scratch. And the results show in my "jelly belly"! I try to give away half of what I make, but there is still enough to tempt me when I get a sweet tooth. Like others, mostly in the cooler months when I spend more time inside.

Spider In The Bath
3-15-11, 9:02am
Well, rest assured, next time I'm driving through the Dales (we've got friends in Harrogate and Scarborough!) I'll certainly call in to give you a sample. How's your Parkin?!

I am good at both parallel and car park parking thank you. Sorry, bad joke.

I never cook parkin. I was traumitized at school when someone cooked one in the cookery lesson and managed to explode it. ;)

Merski
3-15-11, 9:20am
Made an oatmeal stout cake which my DH loves for this week. The recipe is from a Novel called "Eat Cake" which was very good and even had recipes in it.

IshbelRobertson
3-15-11, 10:26am
I expect you're an incomer to Yorkshire then, Cath-W? I mean, I thought it was de rigeur for Yorkies to like parkin?!

Spider In The Bath
3-16-11, 3:54am
I expect you're an incomer to Yorkshire then, Cath-W? I mean, I thought it was de rigeur for Yorkies to like parkin?!

Well spotted. I snuck in from over the other side of the Pennines and they haven't noticed yet. I actually don't like ginger so I don't like parkin. Next time you are in Yorkshire try the curd tarts. Absolutely vile, but the locals love them.

IshbelRobertson
3-16-11, 6:11am
Hahahaaaa - I'm telling my friends what you said. They are in Harrogate - and push those curd tarts on visitors, every chance they get.

So, that's you an expert on hotpot then?!!!

debi
3-16-11, 11:07am
I bake on a weekly basis as well. On weekends (usually designate Sunday unless I have planned something else), I bake cookies for SO's lunch and snacks, bake a loaf of bread (the last 3 weeks it has been Farm House Bread - buttermilk yeast bread), and sometimes a cake/brownies/pie.

mira
3-17-11, 4:40pm
I just made some chocolate cupcakes! I piped icing onto them for the first time, too. Let's disregard the fact that I was too lazy to sift the icing sugar, so it's lumpy and all wonky. I also just learned to make my own bread a couple years ago. Best thing I've made recently was a chocolate Guinness cake. YUM.

leslieann
3-17-11, 6:26pm
Chocolate Guinness cake???? Google, here I come....

I have thoroughly enjoyed (and not understood a bit of) the conversation between Ishbel and Cath-W....thanks, you guys! Parkin, eh?

IshbelRobertson
3-17-11, 6:53pm
LeslieAnn - google 'parkin'. CathW is a philistine!

leslieann
3-17-11, 7:33pm
I did it, Ishbel...sounds lovely! Actually, it sounds like my mother's old fashioned gingerbread but with a bit more, umm, flavour to it. Dark treacle...molasses, right? We love our dark molasses in the maritimes. Thanks for the encouragement.

Rosemary
3-17-11, 9:22pm
I baked some gingerbread this week (low fat and sugar) and made bagels today.

Fawn
3-17-11, 9:44pm
I bake when the kidlin's be home: cookies, pies, cakes, corn bread, biscuits....you name it.
When they are at their father's home..I eat the strangest combination of foods and cook NOTHING. Hmmmmm.

AnneM
3-19-11, 6:06pm
I love to bake. Whole wheat bread for me, cookies, biscuits, rolls, pies. What on earth is a tattie scone?

lhamo
3-20-11, 12:05am
I am getting more and more into baking. It helps that I am trying to avoid pre-processed and packaged foods -- I now make most of our snack foods myself, with a focus on cookies (relatively healthier versions, like an updated take on my grandma's oatmeal raisin cookie recipe), muffins and cakes. I would like to learn to make a good pie -- maybe a project for later this year, when fruits are more abundent and cheaper. I bought the no-knead bread book but have not yet managed to find a large food grade container to keep the dough in, so that is on hold for the moment. A couple of years ago I even made bagels (!) that turned out pretty good -- I should give that a try again.

One of the most fabulous things about our apartment, and something that made me love it the moment I walked in the first time, is that we have double, regular sized ovens. I never had a proper oven in China until we moved to Beijing -- they are rare and hard to find. when we lived in Chengdu I baked in a toaster oven. Our Beijing apartment was first purchased by an American family, who did all the interior design planning to suit their needs. EVERY western female friend who has come to our place has totally drooled over the kitchen.

lhamo

Merski
3-20-11, 11:03am
Baked an orange sponge cake this morning for an auction where our Historical Society is doing refreshments. It made me happy because several auction goers almost mugged me on the way to the booth! May bang out another one for DH and MIL today.

domestic goddess
3-20-11, 12:39pm
I used to bake pretty regularly, as dh really loved baked goods and cleaned them up. Now, I've gotten away from it, but should restart, as dsil and our boarder are big sweets eaters, and dd spends a bit of money on not-so-great grocery items. I figure I'll start with 2 baking days, as I know things will disappear fast! I made a single loaf of banana bread, and it was gone less than 15 hours later, and 8 hours of that time was sleep time. Since I was at work, it could have been gone before they went to bed, but no one will admit to it. So I hope I can bang enough out so all can have some!

domestic goddess
3-20-11, 9:22pm
Well, great. I picked out what I was going to bake tomorrow and made my list. Only now I'm sick and don't feel like I can do it, and am pretty sure no one will want to eat my (possibly) germy food. I guess having a fever is not compatible with baking day. Rats! Guess I'll have to wait until the end of the week.

debi
3-22-11, 1:54pm
I do my baking on the weekends. I bake bread each weekend. I also make SO cookies for his lunch and snacks. I will be baking a little more this weekend as I am bringing in sweets for work next week due to an open house event (I'm a Patient Care Manager). I also make all of the week's meals on the weekend as well. Saves from going out to eat and both of us always brownbag our lunches. Today we are having homemade pasties for dinner.