PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Louisiana

SnakeBlitz33
10-31-13, 9:34pm
I'm excited to be here. I didn't know how common my line of thought was until I got online and started searching. I'm happy to be here and to be with like minded people.

A bit of background about me, ... I am a former live fish store owner, after I closed my business doors and got out of retail in 2008, I went back to school to finish my major as a biology teacher. I only have about a year and a half left towards a degree. I'm thankful that my wife has provided me with the opportunity to go back to school, but at the same time, I am regretting racking up so much debt with student loans.

A year ago, I would bust my tail trying to find new ways of how to make a few extra dollars every single week so that I can pay for stuff that I really didn't need. I was working nearly two jobs and going to school, on top of having a wife and a 8 month old baby to take care of. Life was difficult... and then I came to the realization ... why should I be working harder to buy stuff that I don't really need?

Well, that line of thinking got me to where I am today. I quit my most expensive hobby - saltwater aquariums/reefkeeping a couple of months ago. I also downsized my clutter. I gave away a bunch of stuff that I didn't need and my wife has also decluttered a lot of her stuff by getting rid of it or just throwing it away. I'm happy that my life is becoming less of a hassle.

Since selling a bunch of stuff off, giving up a few things, switching phone plans and learning how to better control the thermostat (LOL!) we have nearly saved $800 a month in bills and other expenses! The good news is that I am down to working only 20 hours a week at my high paying job and getting to spend a lot more time with family, which to me is very important.

Even as life continues on, I am searching for more ways to live more simply, frugally, and most of all - live deliberately.

I'm finally getting into my late 20's and it's about time to settle down and buy some land and build a house. I'll definitely be needing plenty of help with those plans. I hope that I get to know many of you on these forums - and like I said, it's great to be around like-minded people.

Tradd
10-31-13, 9:45pm
Hello, Snake! I'm actually going to be down your way next week, visiting a friend in Baton Rouge and then NOLA.

SnakeBlitz33
10-31-13, 9:54pm
Awesome man. Have some good ole' cajun food while you're down here. :D

iris lilies
11-1-13, 12:40am
...Since selling a bunch of stuff off, giving up a few things, switching phone plans and learning how to better control the thermostat (LOL!) we have nearly saved $800 a month in bills and other expenses! The good news is that I am down to working only 20 hours a week at my high paying job and getting to spend a lot more time with family, which to me is very important.

Even as life continues on, I am searching for more ways to live more simply, frugally, and most of all - live deliberately.

I'm finally getting into my late 20's and it's about time to settle down and buy some land and build a house. I'll definitely be needing plenty of help with those plans. I hope that I get to know many of you on these forums - and like I said, it's great to be around like-minded people.

wow! $800/month, she-zaam! That's real money! With that and all of your other life changes, you are heading down the right road early, good for you!

There are plenty of fascinating and all-consuming hobbies that are not very expensive. Gardening, for instance--you can spend a little or a lot.

Welcome!

Tussiemussies
11-1-13, 12:44am
You have found the right place! There are so many ideas here that will be beneficial to you as you keep walking down the road to financial freedom. Saving $800.00 a month now is a great chunk of change!!! Good for you and your family!

Selah
11-1-13, 4:24am
Welcome, Snake! Good for you for all your positive changes that will benefit your own mental and physical health, and the well-being and nurturing of your family. Louisiana's recent history with Katrina has always left me wondering, did residents who lost every physical object they owned end up reducing their consumption desires afterwards, or did they strive even harder to regain what they lost and, perhaps, more? If you have heard anything about this, I'd love to hear about it. Anyway, welcome again!

Float On
11-1-13, 7:33am
Welcome. If you plan to build your own home, you might enjoy reading the forums and browsing the photos of owner-builder projects at countryplans.com It'll teach you a lot about building on your own and most of them have already made the mistakes and found a better way and they are great at sharing info. My dad and I read it a lot for a couple years before he began his cabin project.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?board=6.0

fidgiegirl
11-1-13, 7:55am
Hi Snake! I look forward to learning from you. You've already made some awesome steps!

SteveinMN
11-1-13, 10:53am
Welcome! It sounds like you're off to a great start!

puglogic
11-1-13, 12:01pm
Glad you're here, SnakeBlitz! Hey, tell us about what you did to change up your phone plan. I'm researching that right now trying to cut ours down, and I'm getting totally overwhelmed. Better to ask real humans what they did!

SnakeBlitz33
11-1-13, 8:46pm
Puglogic,

I waited until our contract was up with Verizon and then switched to Tracfone. We got two free phones with a $10 a month phone plan each and then turned around and sold our smart phones to gazelle and pocketed $200. I just kick myself over allowing myself to pay so much for a phone a few years ago... and I realize that it's not worth it to have internet everywhere you go, unless it's part of your job.