PDA

View Full Version : Hooded sweatshirts with broken zippers.....what to do?

CathyA
11-2-13, 1:45pm
The only thing wrong with several of these "hoodies" is that the zipper doesn't work. I refuse to give it to Goodwill in that condition, and I'm afraid putting a new zipper on myself is beyond my sewing skill.
What do you think?
Anyone replace a hoodie zipper and found it to be not too hard?

sweetana3
11-2-13, 2:39pm
Just a thought but what about cutting out the zipper sewing it shut except for the top to pull over and still use it? You would only lose about an inch or so.

Gardenarian
11-2-13, 2:42pm
Putting in a zipper is not complicated, but you can probably get a new hoodie from Goodwill for less than the price of a replacement zipper at Joann. It is sometimes possible to repair a zipper - check the usual places (youtube etc.)

You can also remove the zipper and use the hoodie as a bedjacket or open cardigan.

Aqua Blue
11-2-13, 3:04pm
Wear them out around the house, without zipping the zipper..

fidgiegirl
11-2-13, 3:56pm
To echo what Gardenarian said, how exactly is the zipper broken? If it is not zipping shut but is in otherwise good shape, you can clamp the slider a bit with a pliers and that usually does it.

Lots of YouTube vids to help.

And - let's say the worst case scenario is that you try it and you ruin it. Big deal! It's already unusable. Go for it!

CathyA
11-2-13, 7:14pm
Thanks everyone, for all your suggestions. I must be bad on zippers, 'cause I have 3 coats (old ones that I still wear) that have broken zippers! Some of them just get stuck and I have to do all sorts of contortions to get out of them. haha
I'll check You Tube. Sometimes I totally forget about You Tube! Most of the zippers look just fine........but something just gets stuck. And a couple of the coats have had new zippers put on about 2 years ago.