PDA

View Full Version : Forest bathing or Shinrin-Yoku for your health

razz
11-3-13, 6:10pm
I love my woodlot and find great peace and joy in tramping around in it. I didn't realize that I was gaining great benefits to my health.

This link gives a good summary of the practice.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/travel/destinations/forest-bathing-not-just-a-walk-in-the-woods/article571471/

Charlie WA
11-3-13, 9:12pm
Nice article. I also find peace walking through a forest.

Tussiemussies
11-3-13, 9:17pm
Great article. I haven't been walking in nature but used to do it regularly. This article reminds me of how much I need to get back to it again...thanks!

Rogar
11-4-13, 8:38am
My "woodlot" requires a short drive, but I am thankful for it. The lodge in the article really looks nice, but it seems to me like most places have something not too far away where they can enjoy some forest bathing of some sort.

puglogic
11-4-13, 12:29pm
I walk through the woods every day now, just about. Maybe that's why I don't feel as unhealthy as I did when I was younger and didn't. Thank you, Razz!

bae
11-4-13, 12:44pm
I spend a couple hours a day trailing the dogs through this hellish landscape:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-GhwUl6Hu1Xo/UfMPnJDMxUI/AAAAAAAAISU/bUawz_XJKKo/s720/Awesomized.jpg

Gardenarian
11-4-13, 2:34pm
But isn't it, after all, just a walk in the woods?
I keep thinking these articles must be written by people surrounded by concrete, that it seems a revelation that being in nature is a human need.
We didn't evolve in cities, after all.

Maybe it's a reaction to the many articles glorifying urban life?

razz
11-4-13, 3:58pm
Tough life, Bae:D

RosieTR
11-4-13, 11:09pm
I think some people feel it more than others, especially if you were used to being in the forest and then deprived of it. I definitely started getting symptoms of depression when I went too long without going into forest, and after figuring that out I try my best not to let it get too long. A drive in natural settings helps in a pinch but no, there's nothing like walking in it.
I like the idea in the article but was a little disappointed at the dismissive comment about the research. Science's goal is to prove or disprove anecdotal practices. I'm glad science does this sort of thing; otherwise we might be still doing bloodletting and sacrificing goats under a full moon to cure disease. Isn't it better to be able to justify your vacation to no-cellphone-land? ;)

Gardenarian
11-5-13, 2:57pm
Science's goal is to prove or disprove anecdotal practices. I'm glad science does this sort of thing; otherwise we might be still doing bloodletting and sacrificing goats under a full moon to cure disease. Isn't it better to be able to justify your vacation to no-cellphone-land? ;)

Yes, very true.
But I'm a wild pagan at heart - and no justification should ever be needed for communing with Mother Earth.