PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore to Carlisle

kib
11-9-13, 6:09pm
I will be in Baltimore next Thursday morning, and I have to drive to Carlisle, PA by Saturday evening. It's a 2-3 hour drive. I expect to spend Thursday and Thursday night in Baltimore in the inner harbor area, meander off toward Carlisle on Friday, and then arrive there Saturday afternoon.

1. can anyone recommend some particular favorite sights or restaurants in the inner harbor area? I don't do sports but almost anything else might be entertaining.

2. I'm looking for something else to do on Friday - Frederick? York? Lancaster? It's not a really long drive, so I'd be happy to take scenic roads less traveled and get some peace time.

nswef
11-9-13, 10:58pm
Frederick has a lovely downtown area. I would recommend leaving Baltimore by 2 to avoid the horrible traffic to Frederick on 70. It's about an hour from Baltimore. There are lots of parking decks. If you like history there's a Civil War Medical Museum and an architectural Museum called Schifferstadt that a little bit out of town. They should be open on Fridays, but not sure, now that it's November. As you travel west from Frederick you can take 40 or Alternate 40 for some great farm sights and countryside that hasn't been totally paved over yet. The only things I've done in Baltimore were long ago, the Aquarium and the Science Center, there's a Museum of Industry and the Walters Art Museum...also a black history museum and Maryland history museum. What are you doing in Carlisle?

fidgiegirl
11-9-13, 11:04pm
You could hit Gettysburg on the way . . . my aunt and uncle live in Carlisle, and we never really bummed around, but the town itself looked like it would be fun to meander around. Historic and cute town.

Spartana
11-13-13, 12:29pm
I use to live in York and it's not all that interesting of a town to visit. I'd take Kelli's suggestion and go to Gettysburg. The Amish area (PA Dutch country) near Lancaster is nice but a further drive from your area.

kib
11-14-13, 9:57pm
Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I'm in Baltimore today, checked out the Science Center and I'm right across the street from The Walter's, which I intend to peruse before leaving tomorrow morning. I was taken by surprise by how cold the nights are, for some reason the day I checked it was 45 and I took that as gospel, it was more like 25! But the day was gorgeous, this is a city I'd like to come back and see in more detail.

Nswef, I'm going to visit my parents in Carlisle. I'm somewhat familiar with the town and it is quaint, I'm not sure how much there is to do but mostly we'll be watching golf with the sound off since my dad has pretty much gone deaf and depends on the captions and my mother hates the commercials (so we all sit there straining to guess what the commercials are about with the sound off, it's almost like a game show.)

I think I'm going to hit Longwood Gardens on the way up, they've got a chrysanthemum exhibit so there should still be some color, at least there's still some here in Baltimore. That means I'll be spending the night in Lancaster, could check out something Amish ... like pretzels, mmm, are pretzels Amish? - before arriving in Carlisle in the PM.

On the way back to Baltimore on Tuesday I think I'll take the Frederick route you suggested, maybe hit the museum of dentistry if I have a few extra hours, that should cheer me up a little. :-)

nswef
11-14-13, 11:20pm
Ah Kib, it is often necessary to have a cheer up after a visit to the folks. Enjoy your drive through the area. Today was beautiful. Chilly, but sunny. Our trees are finished except for some yellows...the brilliant reds are done. If you cannot get to Longwood but have time for Winterthur that's lovely, too. Supposedly Odessa,DE is a beautiful old Quaker town near Wilmington. But I have not seen it. Enjoy yur Eastern visit. I envy you your Southeast AZ.