PDA

View Full Version : If you had a week ...

kib
11-11-13, 6:54pm
If you were given a week where you could do anything you wanted in order to refresh your enthusiasm for life, a week in which your only responsibility was to take care of yourself and come back better equipped to go forward, a week in which the bills paid themselves and the job magically suspended itself and the people and animals and plants who depend on you were all somehow safe and sound without you, what would you do? You can spend as much or as little as you want, but you can't bring anything back except what you carry in your head and your heart.

herbgeek
11-11-13, 7:14pm
I'd spend a week at the Campbell Folk school learning something useful, or I'd go to Kripalu or similar type of place for a yoga and meditation retreat. I want someplace where all the meals are planned, prepped and cleaned up after me, some food for thought, something useful to bring back to my regular life and perhaps some like minded people to chat with.

razz
11-11-13, 7:17pm
I have been dreaming of going to British Columbia and simply travelling around the islands and mountains and seeing all that there is to see and soak up the images. Imagine kayaking the sounds and having sea creatures quietly travelling alongside you and completely accepting that you are just another creature, no more or less.

pcooley
11-11-13, 7:20pm
Whenever I have free time, I tend to clean the house. If I could have a week where the family was out from under foot, I would clean the house, and I would meditate. I would also go out for soup and take long walks in the mountains. And nap -- I would definitely nap.

iris lilies
11-11-13, 7:51pm
If you were given a week where you could do anything you wanted in order to refresh your enthusiasm for life, a week in which your only responsibility was to take care of yourself and come back better equipped to go forward, a week in which the bills paid themselves and the job magically suspended itself and the people and animals and plants who depend on you were all somehow safe and sound without you, what would you do? You can spend as much or as little as you want, but you can't bring anything back except what you carry in your head and your heart.

I'd take the same kind of vacation I always take, one to a place that has interesting architecture and antique stores. Any more I hate flying like most people do, but I suppose I'd have to spend a day getting there and a day coming home. That leaves 5 days going anywhere on the continental U.S. While I'd rather go to Europe that would involve more plane time, no thanks.

So my choices would likely be San Francisco, Santa Fe, New Orleans. Possibly Savannah or Charleston. Perhaps New York.

I recently took a refresher 3 night stay to tiny Hermann, MO. I had two full days there and walked the town, up and down the hills. Two days was enough to see it. It was nice.

Alan
11-11-13, 8:01pm
I'd take a stroll along the Appalachian Trail, but with only a week I'm not sure where I'd start.

Jilly
11-11-13, 10:29pm
I would stay home most of the time. Changing into daytime jammies in the morning and back to my sleeping frocks at night. I would walk out on the porch to collect the mail so that no one would want to check up on me when it started to pile up. Oh, I could just arrange for delivery to be stopped for a week or two. Yeah. I might walk to the library and just hang out instead of working. Nice.

I would eat all the vegetables I could cram into my maw, with lots of frozen berries and cream to follow. I would have popcorn for dinner every night. The amount of vegetables I would like to eat are limited during my regular life because they make me gassy, which is not so much fun at work. The berries are not frugal, but it would be nice to see if it is actually possible to become bored with them.

I would sleep as late as I like, which is only until 8 a.m., truth be told, but I would make sure that I forgot where the alarm clocks were.

In between sessions of reading myself silly, I would watch DVDs and play mah jong and all the bubbles games I could find.

SteveinMN
11-11-13, 10:49pm
Good question! My initial thought was to go to a retreat center not far from here. There are several kinds, ranging from monasteries to crunchy-type "wellness" centers to even tiny cabins in some of the state parks. I don't need (or maybe even want) to totally disconnect and unplug. But it would be nice to stare out the window at something prettier than the neighbor's house and the street and to lower the volume control to near zero. Lake Maria State Park (http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/lake_maria/index.html) is the first place I thought of.

But, honestly, if the objective is to "come back better equipped to go forward", a retreat would be good for recharging the batteries, but coming back to a house full of projects of all sizes would put a quick drain on my batteries. From the standpoint of energizing to do the bigger things in life, I'd be tempted to stay home, lay in a supply of meals (or have them delivered) so I didn't have to cook and clean, turn off the phone, and work on house projects for a week. A solid week of doing absolutely nothing else really would set the stage for devoting a big block of time and energy to "higher" pursuits.

pinkytoe
11-12-13, 10:31am
Depending on the season, I would head straight for either the mountains or the PNW coast and hide out in a cabin, read books, write, draw - no media - just silence and the sounds of nature. Sleep late, take long walks...I have done the stay at home thing for a week and though it made me feel more organized about facing the world again, it did not really rejuvenate.

kib
11-12-13, 11:03am
Mmmm, thank you everyone! I feel more relaxed and rejuvenated just reading about these soothing ideas, I find ALL of them appealing! I'm leaving on a short trip tomorrow ... to visit my aging parents. I will put myself in a kayak in my mind ... :)

Spartana
11-12-13, 2:02pm
If you were given a week where you could do anything you wanted in order to refresh your enthusiasm for life, a week in which your only responsibility was to take care of yourself and come back better equipped to go forward, a week in which the bills paid themselves and the job magically suspended itself and the people and animals and plants who depend on you were all somehow safe and sound without you, what would you do? You can spend as much or as little as you want, but you can't bring anything back except what you carry in your head and your heart.Other than having to care for the dog I'd say this has pretty much been my life for the past 14 years ;-). But if I had to pick one thing it would be to spend a week walking, hiking and running on a beautiful trail during fall foliage season in New England. Sleep in a few quaint bed and breakfasts enroute each evening with a roaring fire and a hot toddy.

gimmethesimplelife
11-12-13, 2:13pm
I would stay at the Roadrunner Hostel in Tucson and have interesting conversations with the travelers who pass through. I would also do a one week herbal cleanse while there and visit a few places in Tucson I have been wanting to visit for some time. Rob

Gardenarian
11-12-13, 2:20pm
I would either take a solo backpacking trip or take a trip to my yoga ashram (http://www.yogafarm.org/).

I'm also tempted to say that a week alone at home would be awesome for getting a lot of projects finished and done - kitchen floor, painting, fixing the deck. But I kind of like the idea of throwing out my TO DO list and doing something just for me.

ToomuchStuff
11-12-13, 3:25pm
I don't have a clue. The last time I was ON a vacation, was in the early 80's when I was a kid. The last time I took a vacation was the week I bought my house (and all the starter projects), very early 90's. I tried to take a vacation a couple years back, after all the holiday rush stuff, and the kids that work for us, went out on the company Christmas party trip (I've never gone to these things) which was a ski trip. When they got back, I was supposed to be off, and half the crew came back on crutches, so I didn't go and my hours went up.
No idea how to recharge to get back up, just always plowed through.

Spartana
11-13-13, 12:42pm
I don't have a clue. The last time I was ON a vacation, was in the early 80's when I was a kid. The last time I took a vacation was the week I bought my house (and all the starter projects), very early 90's. I tried to take a vacation a couple years back, after all the holiday rush stuff, and the kids that work for us, went out on the company Christmas party trip (I've never gone to these things) which was a ski trip. When they got back, I was supposed to be off, and half the crew came back on crutches, so I didn't go and my hours went up.
No idea how to recharge to get back up, just always plowed through.You don't really need to go anywhere to take time off. Just chill at home and in your own area and put things (chores, distractions, life!) on hold. It's very liberating. I have structured my life to have as few chores and stuff I HAVE to do as possible, leaving more freedom to focus on doing things I enjoy. I can do that at home and in my own 'hood just as easily as I can in some lovely place. Much cheaper too :-)!

Gregg
11-13-13, 1:57pm
Hmmmm. I thought the answer would be easier to pinpoint. The fantasy answers are always along the lines of debating existence with the Dali Lama or getting a week long guitar lesson from Eddie Van Halen so I guess my real world of choices wouldn't be so far off. Maybe Austin in spring for SXSW to hear a bunch of good music, stoke up on some tequila and fajitas, maybe get in a few jam sessions really late at night in a garage somewhere. Then get up and head over to the UT philosophy and poli-si departments and get into a few out and out, bang the fists on the tables arguments with professors and sophomores. And somewhere in the week I'd have to go skydiving at least once just to get the blood pumping. I've never been recharged by a relaxing or meditative vacation. I need to blow out some cob webs to feel alive again.

KayLR
11-13-13, 2:37pm
I would visit with my 90 year-old aunt who is my Dad's last living sibling. Then I'd probably spend the balance of the week browsing in the library and at Powell's. Doing some sewing and writing.

Spartana
11-13-13, 2:52pm
I've never been recharged by a relaxing or meditative vacation. I need to blow out some cob webs to feel alive again.This is me too. Can't relax until the body says "ENOUGH ALREADY!!! PLEASE STOP FOR GAWDS SAKE!!!" Then it's time for the tequila and fajitas and a longgggg nap :-).

puglogic
11-13-13, 4:28pm
A very good question. I've enjoyed writing retreats like this one, and the effects were long-lasting after I got back: http://peerspirit.com/writing-workshop-dates.html

A volunteer vacation somewhere spiritual, where I could do some hard, helpful, lasting work - also sounds nice.

gimmethesimplelife
11-13-13, 9:30pm
I would visit with my 90 year-old aunt who is my Dad's last living sibling. Then I'd probably spend the balance of the week browsing in the library and at Powell's. Doing some sewing and writing.I remember spending hours in Powell's completely oblivious to the passage of time and amazed when I finally look up and realized how much time had passed. Enjoy Powell's for me, this is one place I miss keenly in Portland, OR. Rob

gmpg54
11-13-13, 10:12pm
i would go to see my daughter in south carolina and spend a couple of days then i would go to mississippi and visit my late hubbys last living brother-in-law,he lives on 55 acres in a rural part of that state with his disabled daughter,I would have a blast raising a glass to all of them that have gone to glory and just reminesce(Sp?)

RCWRTR
11-23-13, 10:33pm
I'd spend a week at the Campbell Folk school learning something useful, or I'd go to Kripalu or similar type of place for a yoga and meditation retreat. I want someplace where all the meals are planned, prepped and cleaned up after me, some food for thought, something useful to bring back to my regular life and perhaps some like minded people to chat with.

Kripalu came to mind immediately for me, herbgeek. I did the R&R (Rest & Renewal) Program there back in the mid-'90s and, to date, it was the single most relaxing week of my life. I especially enjoyed sitting in on lectures by Aruni (Nan) Futuronsky, early morning yoga, observing and eating meals in silence and Kripalu bodywork. If Kripalu were not an option, I would definitely do a non-structured spa/resort or similar weeklong retreat in another beautiful setting.

ApatheticNoMore
11-23-13, 10:54pm
I'd like to take the Canadian train across Canada someday but not sure if it can be done in a week.

enota
12-2-13, 7:51pm
Oh, I'd be naked on a tropical island somewhere. I'd have a couple of cats for companions, plenty of books to read and a good supply of food and adult beverages. I'd be spending a lot of time in the ocean, sleeping on the beach and just enjoying nature. Oh, it wouldn't get any better than that.