PDA

View Full Version : Reflections on the US from people who moved here

redfox
11-13-13, 11:41am
I just loved reading this! So many amazing perspectives.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/michael-koh/2013/11/16-people-on-things-they-couldnt-believe-about-america-until-they-moved-here/

catherine
11-13-13, 11:55am
Very, very fun to read! Don't have time to read it all now, but I'm coming back for more. It's really interesting to get the outsider's POV--even though a lot of it I'm not surprised by.

Lainey
11-13-13, 8:51pm
thanks, redfox. Another one from a friend from India, whose parents visited him here in the U.S. He took them on a car trip to see the sights and they were amazed at the endless smooth roads in our interstate highway system.

Tussiemussies
11-14-13, 1:36am
This was fun and interesting to read. Thanks for posting it, I shared it with some family members...chris

rose
11-14-13, 4:16am
Thanks. That was fun. Reminded me of when I was in Europe in the 1970's and talking to some young men. They couldn't believe there we didn't know gangsters and that there weren't gangsters on all the street. Movies!

puglogic
11-14-13, 5:31am
I will never forget the young Indian man who stayed with a colleague and I in the 90's. We laid out a spread of oatmeal, fruit, nuts, and a little crock of brown sugar for breakfast.

He leaned over to me, pointing to the brown sugar, and asked quietly, "Is that.....cocaine?"

Apparently we all did cocaine in the 90's in the U.S. I was flabbergasted, but it just goes to show the power of the media if you have no life-events to contradict what it feeds you.

SteveinMN
11-14-13, 1:07pm
Imagine the stereotypes we have about other places we've never visited...

mira
11-14-13, 5:42pm
The inability to transfer funds electronically between banks baffles me.

redfox
11-14-13, 10:50pm
Imagine the stereotypes we have about other places we've never visited...

Absolutely!