PDA

View Full Version : "Holy Sh*t"

puglogic
3-8-11, 10:16pm
It's actually a book by Gene Logsdon, called "Holy Sh*t: Managing Manure to Save Mankind." A fun and illuminating little read on our global need to wise up about manure of all kinds, and its role in sustainability. It really made me want to do more around this, in addition to our regular composting. Does anybody have a manure pile that they tend for the specific purpose of using it to enrich their soil? cow-hi

Greg44
3-8-11, 10:58pm
I read where peeing in your compost pile can enrich it! :laff: Just got to do it out of the sight of the neighbors!

redfox
3-9-11, 1:07am
I read where peeing in your compost pile can enrich it! :laff: Just got to do it out of the sight of the neighbors!

Now THAT should be a part of the "I'm a Mormon" campaign!

Mrs-M
3-9-11, 2:09am
Originally posted by Redfox.
Now THAT should be a part of the "I'm a Mormon" campaign! :laff: :+1:

Spider In The Bath
3-9-11, 2:12am

I have been trying to get my husband to do this to my compost bin, but he has not taken me up on the offer yet.

There is a serious gardening programme on the radio over here in the UK and they always suggest this as a good idea. Apparently, you can make a pee freely toilet with straw bales which once soaked enough can then be used to enrich the garden soil.

I do make my own compost and also grab free bags of horse manure when I see they out and about in the village. It really does make a difference to the soil too. I don't keep a seperate pile, but mix it in with the general compost as I am always worried about burning plants if I put it on on its own and it is too fresh.

Greg44
3-9-11, 12:25pm
Spider in the bath:
"There is a serious gardening programme on the radio over here in the UK and they always suggest this as a good idea. Apparently, you can make a pee freely toilet with straw bales which once soaked enough can then be used to enrich the garden soil."

I tell you "it" is full of nutrients! I know of no "Mormon" doctrine stating such! Though the Church does encourage us to plant gardens. Our fertilizer is a matter of "personal choice" :D

Spider In The Bath
3-9-11, 12:59pm
Spider in the bath:
"There is a serious gardening programme on the radio over here in the UK and they always suggest this as a good idea. Apparently, you can make a pee freely toilet with straw bales which once soaked enough can then be used to enrich the garden soil."

I tell you "it" is full of nutrients! I know of no "Mormon" doctrine stating such! Though the Church does encourage us to plant gardens. Our fertilizer is a matter of "personal choice" :D

I am so sorry, but I know there is a joke in there somewhere, but I don't get it. I think it is a US / UK difference thingy. If you explain it to me I promise to laugh in my next post. ;)

Greg44
3-9-11, 1:07pm
"I am so sorry, but I know there is a joke in there somewhere, but I don't get it. I think it is a US / UK difference thingy. If you explain it to me I promise to laugh in my next post."

...Well I hope we were all on the same page - I am guessing the joke is that the post is "Holy Crap" and redfox was having fun with the fact that I am Mormon and maybe there is some Mormon doctrine about my post to "pee" in the compost pile! >8)

...good hearted fun! :+1:

puglogic
3-9-11, 6:51pm
There is a serious gardening programme on the radio over here in the UK and they always suggest this as a good idea. Apparently, you can make a pee freely toilet with straw bales

May I admit that I made the innocent mistake of Googling "pee freely toilet" ? Hooo boy.
I'd still love to know how this works, and how to keep from ending up with a large brick of straw in the yard that smells like urine ;)

The Humanure Handbook has a plan, I think, for a simple composting toilet that uses a five gallon bucket, an enclosing box, a toilet seat, and a bucket of wood shavings to, er, sprinkle over. Though it sounds good, I think I'll have to get really good at hot composting before I trust anything like that to go in my garden in less than ten years....

redfox
3-9-11, 8:21pm
"I am so sorry, but I know there is a joke in there somewhere, but I don't get it. I think it is a US / UK difference thingy. If you explain it to me I promise to laugh in my next post."

...Well I hope we were all on the same page - I am guessing the joke is that the post is "Holy Crap" and redfox was having fun with the fact that I am Mormon and maybe there is some Mormon doctrine about my post to "pee" in the compost pile! >8)

Gregg, I was riffing on the PR "And I'm a Mormon" campaign that has been going for some time. I really like it, as it shows people doing fun and sometimes outrageous things - like riding Harley's, etc., and then the "and I'm a Mormon" voiceover. It subtly pokes fun at the rest of us for assuming that Mormons are stuffed suits, or whatever the prevailing stereotype is nowadays. I just had this total image of you... anyway, you get the idea.
:)

Greg44
3-9-11, 8:47pm
Gregg, I was riffing on the PR "And I'm a Mormon" campaign that has been going for some time. I really like it, as it shows people doing fun and sometimes outrageous things - like riding Harley's, etc., and then the "and I'm a Mormon" voiceover. It subtly pokes fun at the rest of us for assuming that Mormons are stuffed suits, or whatever the prevailing stereotype is nowadays. I just had this total image of you... anyway, you get the idea.

Oh, shez redfox this makes it even funnier than what I was thinking! You know I
haven't even seen any of those clips, heard about them, but not seen any of them!
Too funny! :laff:

Mrs-M
3-9-11, 10:10pm
Wish I would have known about the peeing in the compost idea when I was toilet training my kids. We would had the the best darn compost around!

redfox
3-10-11, 4:06am
Oh, shez redfox this makes it even funnier than what I was thinking! You know I
haven't even seen any of those clips, heard about them, but not seen any of them!
Too funny! :laff:

So glad you got a laugh out of my imagination... here is the vid I've seen the most:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQGuDslF9Uo

Spider In The Bath
3-15-11, 8:51am

Ah! I am with you now. Sorry, I just didn't get the joke!

Spider In The Bath
3-15-11, 8:53am

I have already posted to Gregg, but actually we don't really have Mormons in the UK which is why I didn't really get the joke.

Spider In The Bath
3-15-11, 8:57am
May I admit that I made the innocent mistake of Googling "pee freely toilet" ? Hooo boy.
I'd still love to know how this works, and how to keep from ending up with a large brick of straw in the yard that smells like urine ;)

The Humanure Handbook has a plan, I think, for a simple composting toilet that uses a five gallon bucket, an enclosing box, a toilet seat, and a bucket of wood shavings to, er, sprinkle over. Though it sounds good, I think I'll have to get really good at hot composting before I trust anything like that to go in my garden in less than ten years....

Sorry about the Google errror - never thought about that. I found a link for you that has some more info.

http://info.cat.org.uk/questions/water-and-sewage/are-compost-toilets-realistic-option-urban-areas