PDA

View Full Version : El Cheapo (yet thoughtful) Gift Ideas

mtnlaurel
11-18-13, 9:05pm
I saw this and just had to post it here. What about a thread with pictures or links of relatively easy, inexpensive gift ideas & repurposed even better?
I know TussieMussies is the Queen of the Interesting Projects posts, so not trying to steal her thunder!

Either of my kids (5 or 9) would LOVE this - or even younger....
http://gfreeglobetrotter.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/diy-dinosaur-toothbrush-holder/

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/c4/db/f2/c4dbf2dfc33c85c52c7b6a3b5faf402c.jpg

Jilly
11-18-13, 10:46pm
I like that. Makes me think of all of the things you can make with dollar store stuff.

I sometimes feel like a charter member of the El Cheapo fan club. Right now I am making holiday ornaments with dollar store plastic snowflakes, some random sheets of scrap booking paper I found at a charity shop and a whole lot of ribbons and gold buttons that I have had for ages.

Miss Cellane
11-19-13, 6:32am
I find that most crafty gift ideas end up with me spending more time and money than just buying something. Sometimes I want to do that--this year I'm crocheting 2 afghans and 4 scarves and a hat for Christmas. The cost of the yarn alone would curl your hair.

But for cheap and easy gifts, I tend to just buy practical things. Or sometimes practical things that are also fun.

Flashlights, usually under $10
Ripstop nylon reusable grocery bag with no store logos plastered all over it that folds up into its own tiny little pouch: $6
Dr. Who or Big Bang theory knee socks: $10
16-in-1 pocket tool: $10 (has variety of screwdrivers, bottle opener, letter opener, phone rest, ruler on credit-card sized tool)
Spork (spoon and fork combo, useful for some who takes lunch to work): $10
Pen with stylus, flashlight and laser pointer: $10
Keychain 9-in-1 tool: $10
Bacon bandaids: $6

The key thing is to know your recipient and go with something they will like.

I don't know the cost, but my brother found a place online that will take your pictures and put them on a calendar. You can mark special dates, like family birthdays and such. So every year, we all get a calendar with family photos from the previous year.