PDA

View Full Version : Buy Nothing Day

RosieTR
11-24-13, 6:24pm
Are you observing? Usually I do, but this year we are making a point to spend money (mostly on food) in the mountain towns that were hit hard by the floods a couple of months ago although the bulk of the day will be our normal snowshoeing trip and not some huge escapade of shopping. Since more and more big-box chains are starting to open on Thanksgiving, I am wondering if the whole Black Friday will eventually peter out. Then we'll have the even more irritating full-blown start to the "Christmas season" on when? Halloween? Ugh. Already two of my pre-programmed radio stations have gone to all-Christmas music, all the time. Some of this may be because people are more and more squeezed for time, so a few weekends isn't really enough to do all the shopping, so they do more earlier in the fall. I do remember my in-laws going for Black Friday, and always, always, winding up with cheap junk. One notable example was a DVD player, acquired for something like $20, that would not play any of their DVDs. So then they had to go back to the store (another trip!) to return it. They had a perfectly good DVD player at the time, too.

Miss Cellane
11-24-13, 6:43pm
I observe it, but mostly because I think Black Friday has gotten completely out of hand. Retail workers are expected to be in their stores between 8 and 10 pm on Thanksgiving, just to be ready to open at midnight. And there are several chains that are planning on opening Thanksgiving afternoon.

These people deserve to have the holiday off, just like the rest of us. Unlike health care workers, hotel employees and fire and police and the like, there's no *need* to be able to shop on Thanksgiving. Or even the day after.

But several of the smaller, local shops in the center of town are participating in "Plaid Friday," which is designed to get people to shop local stores on Black Friday. They aren't opening at midnight, but I think they are having special sales.

My Black Friday plans involve eating leftovers, writing Christmas cards and getting a start on the Christmas cookies.

redfox
11-24-13, 7:10pm
Absolutely. I've been doing so since its inception in 1992.

ApatheticNoMore
11-24-13, 8:57pm
Before I had heard of "buy nothing day" I had never even really heard of the concept that you were supposed to go out shopping for deals on the day after thanksgiving. Really. So I don't think I have ever done that as such in my life. Now there may have been times I shopped then, I do not recall (as hey a day off is a day to get some shopping done if your not doing anything else).

So then I heard of "buy nothing day", and decided to observe it for a few years. And that mainly meant boycotting the grocery store! And not filling up my gas tank on that day! And not going to a coffee house or a local restaurant on that day. Because must, follow "buy nothing day". But that was all there was to resist as I'd never done anything else on that day *anyway*! It's not like I was giving up some nonexistent habit of catching holiday deals.

And then I decided if I wasn't doing anything better (and I may well be), I actually LIKED getting lunch at a local restaurant or going to a coffee house on such a peaceful laid back day (well it is for me because crazy crowds repel me anyway) and maybe topping it off with a walk! I won't shop thanksgiving itself. Buy nothing day after out of solidarity with those who have to work? How much solidarity do I have to show? :) I already don't spend money 4th of july for that reason, don't spend money memorial day or labor day for that reason, don't spend money on xmas, try not to spend money new years day for that reason (although it really is another of those laid back nothing happening days where's it's tempting to go hang out somewhere). And still they won't get the day off, maybe if there were any actual movement for such and not just my symbolic protest, if there was a actual picket it would be different ... (not to mention I've worked stuff like new years day myself, at professional jobs even, and NEVER happily! but you can earn overtime - uh no, i got time).

flowerseverywhere
11-24-13, 11:40pm
Since most of my days are buy nothing days this will be easy. I need nothing and almost everyone I know needs nothing. Better to take the time to contemplate where any charitable donations could do the most good. It is the time for giving thanks after all, and most of us have an abundance, so why not share?

Sad Eyed Lady
11-25-13, 10:11am
Yes, have been doing this for several years. I like the idea that while others are getting up at 4 a.m., out there fighting the crowds and getting pushed & shoved, I am peacefully home reading, knitting, doing whatever.

catherine
11-25-13, 10:21am
I never shop on Black Friday. I'm especially boycotting the infiltration of stores opening on Thanksgiving. I look forward to Thanksgiving weekend as a "do-nothing-but-eat-and-hang-with-family" period. Why would I ruin that by going to a mall????

ToomuchStuff
11-25-13, 11:08am
I remember hearing about it, and I've only gone out on BF once, to see what it was all about (it made me certainly want to not do it again, ever). I've worked BF, and other then a very specialized online site (tools, a guy ran from his house), I think donuts for coworkers have been my big BF purchase. I tried a couple of times to spend money on BF and was stopped, because the government offices are closed on BF (not a holiday) and I was trying to pay my property taxes (was sure there would be no line, and there isn't when they aren't open).

ApatheticNoMore
11-30-13, 10:53pm
Despite thinking I might go to a restaurant or something on "buy nothing day", I actually bought nothing on buy nothing day (just hung out with people and also did some chores). Today I bought the week's groceries and also bought a cheap but functional and ok looking full length mirror from the goodwill (but it's not "buy nothing day" now anymore is it? :)).

redfox
12-1-13, 2:39am
Yeah, we went grocery shopping too. Something about no coffee, milk, bread, cheese, or greens in the house after returning from a two day family visit.

AmeliaJane
12-1-13, 9:31am
It was actually a great day for grocery shopping--the grocery store was more empty than I'd ever seen it. I read an interesting article in the local news that the lines were long on Thanksgiving night, but then Friday morning was relatively quiet, and stores were busy again by Friday afternoon. It will be interesting to see if this is the new trend...

JaneV2.0
12-1-13, 5:56pm
I flubbed it and ordered something on line for a friend. But I didn't leave the house and contribute to the mayhem.

Gardenarian
12-2-13, 4:55pm
My dog had his teeth cleaned, so I had to pay for that - but otherwise, bought nothing.