PDA

View Full Version : Interesting spiritual exercise

Gardenarian
11-25-13, 3:24pm
In a novel I read (Tamarack County by William Kent Krueger) one of the characters describes spending an entire day sitting in a meadow doing nothing - no food, no books, no paper or pencil - just sitting. He says that "everything was different" after that day. This was described as a Native American (Ojibwe) practice.

I have spent an hour or two in a sit spot, but never a whole day. Has anyone done this? Just sitting and being mindful? It sounded like it was 6-8 hours (not specified) in the book. I find this intriguing.

(BTW, the book was okay, not great - the northern Minnesota setting was interesting.)

nswef
11-25-13, 3:51pm
I think starting with 10 minutes might do for me...I can't imagine a whole day, but I bet it would make a difference. Just being able to sit quietly for an entire day, outdoors. I'll be interested to see if anyone has done this.

pinkytoe
11-25-13, 4:29pm
I think I could answer a lot of my own internal discussions if I could just be - sit in a natural setting - for a day. The distractions of life in a big, crowded, noisy city make it hard to think clearly.
One of my daydreams is to have 10 acres and a house where I could do just that if I pleased.

razz
11-25-13, 5:30pm
I think I could answer a lot of my own internal discussions if I could just be - sit in a natural setting - for a day. The distractions of life in a big, crowded, noisy city make it hard to think clearly.
One of my daydreams is to have 10 acres and a house where I could do just that if I pleased.
Have to chuckle - I have 105 acres and have never tried this but it sounds wonderful. I do love sitting in my snowsuit on the snow on a bright sunny day in January for about a hour and just feeling the combination of cool breeze and warm sun on my face. I find that very therapeutic mentally. Some folks go south, I sit in the sun for the perfect escape from the winter blahs.

A whole day might be very buggy in the warmer season. How did the book subject handle the bugs, Gardenarian?

Jilly
11-25-13, 5:42pm
Pretty close, but no meadow.

Gardenarian
11-25-13, 6:10pm
Didn't mention bugs, that I recall - and this was lake-side, in Minnesota!
I have a meadow in mind - very few bugs but would have to beware of snakes.

About a mile from my cabin.

Xmac
11-25-13, 8:14pm
Haven't yet.

I often drive in silence. I drove 18 hours to Chicago once with about 12 hours in silence. That's as close as I get.

I wouldn't force a full day in nature. I'd only do it if it was enjoyable to me.

KayLR
11-25-13, 10:14pm
Wow, Gardenarian...what a gorgeous place! I'd probably have to try climbing into one of those trees!