PDA

View Full Version : Christmas carp

rodeosweetheart
12-3-13, 6:29pm
Okay, transpose the letters and you have what Iris was saying and what struck me as funny on the opting out of receiving gifts thread.
Here is a picture of what I bought for my son and yeah, I am probably reliving glorious old days of motherhood when he was a 2 1/2 year old who taught himself to skateboard, but he does commute to work via Skateboard now. http://www.axsgear.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/ecc_longboards.jpg

Without the dopey looking snake.

Anyone else excited about Christmas carp?

Gardenarian
12-3-13, 6:53pm
Fun! All my dd wants is a phone and gift card to the bookstore. Not doing much in the way of shopping this year at all.

rodeosweetheart
12-3-13, 6:54pm
A gift card from a bookstore sounds fun--isn't it nice when people still want books?

Blackdog Lin
12-3-13, 7:24pm
What fun! I am now gonna spend all of December looking at stuff and thinking "oh, more Christmas carp". Won't be able to get it out of my head. :)

(The skateboards are just lovely. My son was also a skateboarder.)

JaneV2.0
12-3-13, 9:24pm
I get a thrill out of finding or making just the perfect gift for someone, which is just the opposite of "carp." He'll be delighted.

CeciliaW
12-3-13, 10:17pm
Ok, you know the "Elf on a Shelf" and "Mensch on a Bench"? We need a Christmas Carp. Seriously!

creaker
12-3-13, 10:28pm
I saw the title and thought about one of those singing fish wall mounts doing Christmas carols. Which would very much be Christmas carp.

Both my daughters asked for specific functional presents this year so the shopping list will be short.

iris lilies
12-4-13, 12:56am
Those boards are beautiful. He is getting ALL of them???!!! wow!

sweetana3
12-4-13, 5:42am
The most beautiful thing I found this year was surprising. Took Mom to a craft fair (prices from $1 to maybe $50 so it wasn't fine art). A woodworker had made a wooden saw from two exotic woods and then cut out a delicate hummingbird and flower picture into the blade. The whole thing was only 12 inches long or so. She sold it to me for $14. Hubby is using it as a gift for a couple we know well.

I had met him last year when I got a three dimensional wooden flying pig ornament made out of three woods and again finely cut details. Turns out he had taught woodworking and was making these things in retirement.

rodeosweetheart
12-4-13, 7:38am
Maybe we do need a Christmas carp, hmm.
Sweetana, there is something about beautiful woodwork--you also made me think why I got this for my son--he loved wood shop and made me a gorgeous chest that his teacher put in their model house, it was so beautiful. And one year he sent me a little inlaid wooden box he got at the thrift shop--he really likes working with wood although hasn't been doing it lately, as is a cook at a restaurant, a drummer, etc.
Iris, he is getting ONE, haha--did not see the one he got, they are all hand made, and his has one stripe inlaid in the middle.
They are so pretty--the 19 year old kid who sold it to me was SO nice and said that if his mom get him one for Christmas (that was my question to him--what would you think) he said they were so beautiful he would just hang it on the wall to look at.

Young people can be so lovely, you know. The future, and all that.

puglogic
12-4-13, 12:20pm
I saw the title and thought about one of those singing fish wall mounts doing Christmas carols. Which would very much be Christmas carp.

I was picturing a traditional Xmas tree ornament, like the Christmas pickle. It would be pretty, wouldn't it? Glittery fish hanging on your tree? :D

ETA: And of COURSE I had to google it. http://domitp.com/seasonal/christmas-ornaments-1/polish-pride-christmas-ornaments/carp-christmas-ornament/

JaneV2.0
12-4-13, 10:28pm
I was picturing a traditional Xmas tree ornament, like the Christmas pickle. It would be pretty, wouldn't it? Glittery fish hanging on your tree? :D

ETA: And of COURSE I had to google it. http://domitp.com/seasonal/christmas-ornaments-1/polish-pride-christmas-ornaments/carp-christmas-ornament/

I love it. I think I'll wait for the half-price sale, though...;)
If you didn't want to pay for the lovely, highly breakable glass model, there's always fabric, papier mache', polymer clay...("That? Oh, that's just our Christmas carp...")