PDA

View Full Version : Amazon wants to use drones for delivery...

Tussiemussies
12-4-13, 12:48am
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/02/tech/innovation/amazon-drones-questions/

bae
12-4-13, 2:18am
Trap shooting with prizes!

ApatheticNoMore
12-4-13, 2:38am
insert joke about delivery person being a drone here: [ ]. Hey, I'm a corporate drone. So how will we distinguish the drones that are spying us, the drones that want to kill us, and the drones delivering packages? Will they maybe be different colors? What if one is color blind? Maybe they're all kind of wrapped up together anyway (hey Amazon does host the C.I.A. data on it's cloud).

You know I could be very serious about how these large corporations are not to be trusted for reasons like that, and mean it, and what is the carbon footprint of a drone versus other means of delivery anyway(?), but eh the Amazon drone thing is probably mostly publicity stunt.

gimmethesimplelife
12-4-13, 3:55am
I read about this in USA Today and I find it more than just a tad bit creepy.....And not only that, but what are the folks who are making (hopefully) $9 an hour delivering these purchases going to do when they are automated out of work by these drones? It's very alarming to me how human labor these days seems increasingly irrelevant. I don't have the answer to this, and I'm not sure anymore there is one. I guess things in the future are going to look very different, for better or worse. Rob

bae
12-4-13, 4:14am
Rob - why do they, in the natural order of things, have a human right to have a $9/hour job delivering stuff for Amazon?

goldensmom
12-4-13, 6:08am
I need to dust off my .410. From what I've heard, the proposal is to use GPS. We live in the country and GPS shows that we live in a field 1.2 mile south of our house. That would pose a problem for us.

mtnlaurel
12-4-13, 6:44am
Oh, Good Lord.... what a headline to take your first sip of coffee to.

gimmethesimplelife
12-4-13, 7:20am
Rob - why do they, in the natural order of things, have a human right to have a $9/hour job delivering stuff for Amazon?Bae, my point is more folks losing their jobs to automation and human labor becoming redundant. I am of the opinion that many folks would call this a cause for concern - esp. folks at the lower end of the income pole. Just my two cents. Rob

gimmethesimplelife
12-4-13, 7:20am
Oh, Good Lord.... what a headline to take your first sip of coffee to.LOL. Agreed. Rob

Miss Cellane
12-4-13, 7:26am
Am I the only one thinking, "Finally! All those movies I had to watch in school about life in the 21st century are *finally* coming true!" Or maybe I'm just alone here in being a sci-fi fan?

The FAA has to change regulations for this to happen. The drones have to be improved for this to happen.

And laws or regulations will have to be created to stop people from shooting the drones out of the sky. The article said that this is what most people think about after learning of the drones--shooting them. Really? A big technological advance and all people can do is think of destroying them?

It won't happen for several years and it will only happen in certain areas to start.

People resisted computers at first, too. Loss of jobs was a major complaint. But we've adjusted. We can adjust to peaceful drones as well.

CathyA
12-4-13, 8:58am

LOL!

CathyA
12-4-13, 9:02am
Am I the only one thinking, "Finally! All those movies I had to watch in school about life in the 21st century are *finally* coming true!" Or maybe I'm just alone here in being a sci-fi fan?

The FAA has to change regulations for this to happen. The drones have to be improved for this to happen.

And laws or regulations will have to be created to stop people from shooting the drones out of the sky. The article said that this is what most people think about after learning of the drones--shooting them. Really? A big technological advance and all people can do is think of destroying them?

It won't happen for several years and it will only happen in certain areas to start.

People resisted computers at first, too. Loss of jobs was a major complaint. But we've adjusted. We can adjust to peaceful drones as well.

Well, maybe we can adjust to peaceful drones, but how about all the spin-off drones this will create? And how do we adjust to more and more people losing their "human" jobs?
Its becoming a crazy, crazy world. Sometimes I take comfort in knowing I won't be around once it gets too much more crazy. (And that includes China mining the resources on the moon.....)

Spartana
12-5-13, 12:30pm
Well, maybe we can adjust to peaceful drones, but how about all the spin-off drones this will create? And how do we adjust to more and more people losing their "human" jobs?
Its becoming a crazy, crazy world. Sometimes I take comfort in knowing I won't be around once it gets too much more crazy. (And that includes China mining the resources on the moon.....)Lets see... we'll need drone operators, drone repair people, drone builders, people to enact drone laws, and of course drone cops to keep people from shooting them down :-)! Might actually create more high tech, high wage jobs than just the average delivery driver makes. Not sure how they will actually work to "deliver"packages in real life as they are pretty small. More an eye-in-the-sky kind of thing. Since many law enforcement and military use drones for peaceful purposes already (even the coast guard has both air and sea drones to search for people and look for illegal activities and monitor disaster zones - even had an article on in in todays Huff Post) I think that all the technology is there and just the kinks have to be worked out. In any case it'll give my dog (The Barkinator) something new to bark at besides the UPS and Fed Ex trucks :-)!

CathyA
12-5-13, 12:59pm
LOL Spartana........DH was wondering how many packages and drones would be destroyed by dogs.

SteveinMN
12-5-13, 1:25pm
Walmart to Install Surface-to-Air Missiles on Store Rooftops to Shoot Down Amazon Drones (http://www.rockcitytimes.com/walmart-install-mini-surface-air-missiles-store-roofs-shoot-amazon-drones/)
:laff::laff::laff::laff:

Spartana
12-6-13, 12:51pm
Walmart to Install Surface-to-Air Missiles on Store Rooftops to Shoot Down Amazon Drones (http://www.rockcitytimes.com/walmart-install-mini-surface-air-missiles-store-roofs-shoot-amazon-drones/)
:laff::laff::laff::laff:

He He!! Of course those will be Chinese made surface to air missiles that Walmart uses to shoot down the drones :-)! On sale for $29.99 at a Walmart near you!

ApatheticNoMore
12-7-13, 2:25am
And how do we adjust to more and more people losing their "human" jobs?

Yea thought about this and then felt a little bad when I used the self-service checkout at the supermarket. Was just buying a holiday card so nothing of nothing, and just wanted to get out of there, because I don't enjoy it and like most everyone else I'm seriously time crunched etc. (had to get home to work 7 more hours straight at home) and meh not like I've never automated anything. But ...

I wish I believed our work saving devices bought us leisure (rather than mass unemployment for some and overwork for the rest). I wish I believed those unemployed by it went on to do bigger and better things (some do) but I think unemployment is just as likely to be used as ransom to be held against us, to the point where we will do anything (not just individually - your mileage may vary there - but as a society) to have "jobs", even if it means fracking our land and ruining our water supply (yes of course I know that's about sales and thus profits etc., that jobs aren't the motive of those businesses, but it's *sold* to the masses based on the promise of "jobs" see ...). And that's why I must: employ a human checkout clerk today :~)

As for the drones thing, several colleges, including community colleges, now have classes in drones basically, believe it or not. Ok so clearly it's not a program I'm looking into :). But I find it disturbing enough considering how wrapped up drones are with the military industrial complex.