12-6-13, 8:13pm
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PqQzjit7b1w&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DPqQzjit7b1w

puglogic
12-8-13, 9:29pm
Lovely.

redfox
12-13-13, 8:42pm
Fake ASL interpreter at Mandela memorial

http://laughingsquid.com/jimmy-kimmel-gets-a-real-sign-language-interpreter-to-translate-the-mandela-memorial-imposter/

IshbelRobertson
12-14-13, 4:04am
Not the only odd thing about this whole circus... The Scandinavian Prime Minister taking a selfie of her with President Obama and PM David Cameron was tasteless. And the look of disapproval on Mrs Obama's face didn't augur well for when they were alone later!

redfox
12-14-13, 1:21pm
Not the only odd thing about this whole circus... The Scandinavian Prime Minister taking a selfie of her with President Obama and PM David Cameron was tasteless. And the look of disapproval on Mrs Obama's face didn't augur well for when they were alone later!

Here's another perspective:

http://www.policymic.com/articles/76375/8-photos-you-didn-t-see-from-obama-s-trip-to-south-africa

And from the photographer:

http://blogs.afp.com/correspondent/?post/Selfie

iris lilies
12-14-13, 1:36pm

I thought that moment was funny, and I don't believe that Mrs. Obama was necessarily making a frowny face and necessarily making the face in reaction to that incident. Weird ch*t gets caught on camera.

Nelson Mandela lived a long life and while highjinks at a funeral are not appropriate, this was not a sad and tragic funeral, the guy lived his life. People went to honor him, see their friends, take some selfies. It's all good.

IshbelRobertson
12-14-13, 2:20pm
It wasn't a funeral.

redfox
12-14-13, 2:35pm
It wasn't a funeral.

Exactly! It was a memorial and celebration of his life, with plenty of lighthearted & joyous moments, which is why that photo isn't serious to me. I'm surprised by the opinion that it's inappropriate. It is interesting how many different views there are in the world!

iris lilies
12-14-13, 2:49pm
It wasn't a funeral.

Semantics, but ok you win.

Doesn't this allow my point even more, that a celebratory event such as this Memorial tribute allows for some moments of relaxation of formality by attendees?

iris lilies
12-14-13, 2:52pm
As an aside, what is the modern definition of "celebration of Life" vs "funeral?" Is it as simple as: the body of the deceased is present?

puglogic
12-16-13, 12:12am
As an aside, what is the modern definition of "celebration of Life" vs "funeral?" Is it as simple as: the body of the deceased is present?

Maybe. Though my mother-in-law's funeral was called a "celebration of life" and her body was there. So in reality, it's maybe just semantics, as you've said. Somebody might say that one focuses on life/contributions/triumphs, and the other on death/loss/afterlife, but it seems all intermixed nowadays.

I come here to praise Mandela
And to send this message to his jailer
Your walls may hold the man inside
But they'll never ever hold back the tide
'cause in the years you've shut him away
A generation has grown where he stood
They're gonna see the day

Simply Divine
1-3-14, 12:04am
Maybe. Though my mother-in-law's funeral was called a "celebration of life" and her body was there. So in reality, it's maybe just semantics, as you've said. Somebody might say that one focuses on life/contributions/triumphs, and the other on death/loss/afterlife, but it seems all intermixed nowadays.

I come here to praise Mandela
And to send this message to his jailer
Your walls may hold the man inside
But they'll never ever hold back the tide
'cause in the years you've shut him away
A generation has grown where he stood
They're gonna see the day
Where I live, a "funeral" is the ceremony in which you bury the deceased. The "celebration of life"/"memorial"/"wake"/"viewing", etc. are all words for when people take time to remember the dead and perhaps share their feelings or personal stories of the deceased. Often, religion is involved at the memorial; sometimes it is at the funeral. A "celebration of life" may also occur at the funeral, but they can take place during separate times of the day or even separate days entirely. There are lots of variations of the ceremonies people do when their loved ones pass away.