PDA

View Full Version : How Do Children Give in Your Family/Friends? Or Do They?

AmeliaJane
12-22-13, 12:29pm
As a child, I remember loving getting gifts at Christmas--but loving to give them also. My parents handled this various ways over the years--taking us shopping with them, giving money to be used for family gifts (we weren't really an allowance family), letting us choose among gifts they had already bought. We also made things some years and spent our own money as we got older and had jobs. I can still remember the excitement of seeing family members open things that I had chosen and wrapped for them (actually, still enjoy it today.)

It seems many families are giving up the adult gift exchange and just giving to the children--and realized that my siblings who have kids don't really encourage their children giving like my parents did. I had been feeling for a few years that the "shower gifts on the kids" approach felt a little odd, and finally figured out what was different from when I was growing up.

I'm curious about what other families do around children and gift-giving.

catherine
12-22-13, 12:42pm
Absolutely our kids have been in on gift gifting from the get-go. It's a wonderful sharing among us. They have bought us things, of course, but they have also made things for us, especially when they were younger. I think we probably handled it the same way your parents did.

And I remember being young and loving to give gifts to my parents and siblings. I think it's a natural "give-and-take" gesture, and that children shouldn't think it's all about them.

JaneV2.0
12-22-13, 1:01pm
I'm a big fan of adult Christmases--good food and drink, leisurely unwrapping of gifts, uninterrupted conversations and laughter--They're the best.

fidgiegirl
12-22-13, 1:53pm
My child will be the first grandchild on the scene for my side, and I'm giving this some thought as I would like to establish a sustainable giving culture in the family right from the first grandchild.

I ran across this blog post online last night and spent quite a bit of time in the comments section. I quite liked some of the ideas. http://wearethatfamily.com/2013/12/5-signs-kids-are-struggling-with-entitlement/

AmeliaJane
12-22-13, 4:13pm
The other thing I wonder if children miss out on when all presents are for kids is the adult example of gracious giving and receiving--expressing thanks sincerely, being appreciative when it's not exactly what you want, etc. Those can be tough social skills to master!

razz
12-22-13, 6:23pm
Loved this idea from the blog for gifting - ‘Something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read’ guideline for gift giving.

iris lilies
12-22-13, 6:26pm
Loved this idea from the blog for gifting - ‘Something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read’ guideline for gift giving.

I agree, I've always liked that gift guide for children.

Gardenarian
12-22-13, 7:57pm
My dd doesn't do much in the way of Christmas gift giving except for Secret Santa type things.
She usually draws/paints our Christmas cards (each one by hand) and they have been very popular. She has also made potholders and given neighbors plants she has propagated (she's a big fan of mint.)
Birthdays are a big deal and she will usually give her close friends a drawing and something else - maybe a piece of jewelry she made or a cool t-shirt she saw at the thrift store.
We have no nearby relatives.

fidgiegirl
12-22-13, 8:02pm
I also really liked that, razz, and someone mentioned in the comments that they have always done it, so their kids don't know any different. It seems like an excellent way to keep the gifting under control, especially with one child, and would give children a easy way to participate when they are older, because there would be some guidelines. Perhaps we should have it for DH and I as well. That's the one spot we always go a little nuts.