PDA

View Full Version : snuck out w/ the new tiller

mattj
3-11-11, 1:06am
I picked up a very inexpensive electric tiller online recently. I was very skeptical. A few days ago, before the rain... I popped outside to test it and tilled a 100 square foot bed in about 3 minutes.... way better than I hoped for!

CathyA
3-11-11, 6:10am
That's great mattj! Tillers can make life so much easier. Have fun!

Brian
3-11-11, 8:16pm
...and behold, a vision of you gardening in your 90s was revealed unto you.
... go, sow and reap bountifully. :)

No tillers available at home and stony sand over coral land so I use post hole augers and wood auger bits on cordless drills for my sowing. Drill bigger, deeper holes then needed and fill with compost and water beads.
If I do not take the time for a snap line I just tell people either rows are "contoured" for drainage OR inspired by the sweep of beach break off the reef... as I feel.

CathyA
3-15-11, 3:22pm
I have a big Troybilt Horse Tiller. In my younger years, it was great. But now that I'm wearing down, the Mantis I have is about all I can handle. Well, actually, I can't even handle that anymore.......but its great for my DH to use.
Just be sure to add lots of organic matter. It makes pulling weeds throughout the season alot easier!

kenh
3-17-11, 6:42pm
mattj - Any links to your electric tiller? I've been waiting years since I gave up trying to maintain the gas engine on my Mantis. I was about try to swap in an electric motor by myself.
Have you run over your cord yet?
I'm very happy with my electric (corded) weedwacker, which is now powered almost directly by my PV panels (Sunny day operation only).

mattj
3-20-11, 6:02pm
No, I haven't run over the cord yet! Here's a link...
http://www.amazon.com/Joe-TJ600E-14-Inch-Electric-Cultivator/dp/B002IC1CBO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1300658441&sr=8-1

I did a few different searches before on Amazon and was able to find a new one for $134 w/ free shipping.

MagicRat
3-20-11, 10:50pm
That is a handy looking tiller.

I bought my neighbour's used-once Mantis for about $200, a few years ago. In our clay soil, I found I had to add a 20 lb weight to it to stop it from bouncing all over the place. Even then, it sounds like a 50 ft mosquito and must annoy our neighbours, even though they never say anything. But its handy for our city plot. An electric like yours would be MUCH better, though.

I bought a 5 hp traditional tiller for my country place, for $50 off Craigslist. It works great, and is just right for a large plot.

Mrs-M
3-22-11, 9:55am
Hi Mattj. Spring fever sure has a tendency of finding it's way to gardening fanatics this time of the year doesn't it! :) Enjoy.