PDA

View Full Version : What;s already up in your garden

kally
3-11-11, 1:08am
and where are you.

If it is just snow or mud, well you can include that.

westcoast of British Columbia

crocus, daffodils and tulips are nearly there.:+1:

redfox
3-11-11, 2:57am
SE Seattle. Ditto your list. And cherry tree blossoms opening. I expect to see Camellia soon... roses putting on growth, lilac buds opening. And rain & mud - wind too!

herbgeek
3-11-11, 6:10am
I've got a big crop of snow, with a small patch of mud at the moment, but lots of things in flats being started. I did see the tips of some crocus coming up near the foundation, and discovered that a rosemary plant had overwintered under cover. A rosemary! They are not at all hardy here. Seems all the snow did a good job of insulating the plants.

fidgiegirl
3-11-11, 8:17am
Minnesota: Still two feet of snow. Will be starting seeds after our vacation.

Tweety
3-11-11, 7:30pm
Snow is nearly all melted here in Northern Indiana, and snowdrops are blooming as they get uncovered.

Gina
3-11-11, 8:05pm
SoCal... picking lettuce and arugula. Tomato seedlings doing well, as are peppers and chiles. Beets are up, as are zuc and cukes and basil.

Orange crop about half eaten - very good. Orange trees blooming for next years crop, and smelling fragrant. Limes primo right now. Blueberry crop just starting to come in.

Peach and plum trees blooming, but the plum under preforming in that respect - won't be much fruit this summer.

Also lots and lots of weeds everwhere.

rosarugosa
3-13-11, 10:05am
We have snowdrops in our Eastern Massachusetts garden, and big buds on the hellebores. The witch hazels in the Boston Public Gardens are in bloom.

iris lily
3-13-11, 10:32am
Several of my neighbors have wonderful bright yellow and pretty purple crocus up. I've got iris reticiulata up.

iris lily
3-13-11, 10:34am
We have snowdrops in our Eastern Massachusetts garden, and big buds on the hellebores. The witch hazels in the Boston Public Gardens are in bloom.

I have a weird obsession with hellebores at the moment. I don't have any. My friend has (had?) an erie grey one, very goth, I loved it. I think it might have died. I"m going to be exploring getting a few of those, that and peonies. That will be my only step away from lilies 'n iris.

loosechickens
3-13-11, 1:04pm
well, we're far from our "land garden", but the big front dashboard of the motorhome is alive with tomato, pepper, eggplant and basil seedlings, as well as grapevine cuttings and bougainvillea cuttings leafing out. We may have to return to the "land garden" a week or so earlier than planned because everything is growing so fast........the outside pots (that ride in the back of the Prius as we travel), oregano, thyme, rosemary, parsley and peppermint are all enjoying the desert sunshine as we speak.

rosarugosa
3-13-11, 1:11pm
Iris lily,
Hellebores are wonderful. We grow H. niger and H. orientalis. They both have wonderful evergreen foliage as well; they could almost earn their keep as foliage plants, but the flowers are gorgeous. They grow well in the shade and don't seem to require any fussing. And I adore my peonies! I think hellebores and peonies would be wonderful companions for irises and lilies;) I have a Japanese Tree peony that is amazing. It is the most recent addition to my peony collection. Let's see if I can post a picture!
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa351/rosa_rugosa/testing%20123/5-15-10040.jpg

iris lily
3-13-11, 3:26pm
Today DH picked spinach from his coldframes and had a salad.

Gina
3-13-11, 4:42pm
I love this time of year here. I know others aren't warm enough yet to consider it spring, but in my part of SoCal the land is just covered with green and so alive. It's invigorating to see. There's been enough rain this year so there should be some good wildflowers. I've got Calif poppies blooming in the yard and lupines across the street.

I'm transplanting more lettuce today, and plan to do some weeding later.

Jinger
3-14-11, 7:28pm
All the seeds I planted in containers just sprouted up over the weekend...I'm excited to eat from the garden this summer in Austin, TX. Zucchini, yellow squash, cukes, herbs and a tomato plant all looking good.

http://iliketomakethings.blogspot.com

Zzz
3-14-11, 7:52pm
Nothing! We got about 7 inches of snow today...but I might be able to plant some onions tomorrow!

janharker
3-14-11, 8:37pm
I have what I think are a half dozen onions and maybe one beet coming up in my raise garden, left over from last year. (South Central Indiana)

simplelife2
3-17-11, 8:05pm
Just outside of Chicago. Herbs coming back strong and lettuce going in the hoop house, with more lettuce started in the cold frame. Planted peas last week and relocated blueberry bushes.

iris lily
3-17-11, 11:45pm
Iris lily,
Hellebores are wonderful. We grow H. niger and H. orientalis. They both have wonderful evergreen foliage as well; they could almost earn their keep as foliage plants, but the flowers are gorgeous. They grow well in the shade and don't seem to require any fussing. And I adore my peonies! I think hellebores and peonies would be wonderful companions for irises and lilies;) I have a Japanese Tree peony that is amazing. It is the most recent addition to my peony collection. Let's see if I can post a picture!
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa351/rosa_rugosa/testing%20123/5-15-10040.jpg

oh sorry, I didnt'see that photos, but tree peopnies are stunning, really beautiful!!! Thanks for the info about helobores.

redfox
3-18-11, 12:41am
SoCal... picking lettuce and arugula. Tomato seedlings doing well, as are peppers and chiles. Beets are up, as are zuc and cukes and basil.

Orange crop about half eaten - very good. Orange trees blooming for next years crop, and smelling fragrant. Limes primo right now. Blueberry crop just starting to come in.

Peach and plum trees blooming, but the plum under preforming in that respect - won't be much fruit this summer.

Also lots and lots of weeds everwhere.

WAAAA! I want THIS garden... SO jealous.

Yppej
3-18-11, 7:53am
Chives - which conveniently are located right by the dryer vent :)

Greg44
3-18-11, 11:49am

I JUST pruned my roses back (a little late) Camillas are blooming -- soggy wet blossoms. Got a really great crop of Moss growing in the lawn this year - despite treating it 2 times already *sigh*

Oh, I am ready for some SUNSHINE.

Gina you are seeing what we normally don't see until June/July.:(

iris lily
3-20-11, 10:32am
Yesterday was Forsythia Day, you know, the one day that all of the forsythia pops out.

rosarugosa
3-20-11, 10:58am
Crocuses and miniatures irises have made their appearance. Happy First Day of Spring :)

Gina
3-20-11, 1:17pm
Ah, yes, welcome Spring...

It's raining cats and dogs right now. 4.75 inches in less than 24 hours. With more expected today. LOL, we needed rain, but I had been hoping it wouldn't happen all in one day. (edit: right now we are up to 7 inches total... half our annual amount.)

http://squizlog.keithpitty.org/archives/images/Mittagong%20Spring%20Flowers.jpg

Rosemary
3-20-11, 3:21pm
The snow is almost melted off my garden, but we're supposed to get more snow this week.

MagicRat
3-20-11, 10:54pm
The snow is almost melted off my garden, but we're supposed to get more snow this week.
Same here....... and today I just took the snow tires off the car. :(

The snow has just melted in my garden..... to reveal the half-rotted compost I dumped on it late in the fall. Yuck.

earthshepherd
3-21-11, 6:35am
beautiful photo!!
My mom's garden is full of crocus and daffodils --the daffodils are just opening up. There are tulips on the way. I have primroses appearing, and in the vegetable garden, peas.

Gina
3-21-11, 3:50pm
The photo is not mine (wish it were), but 'from the internet'. It is nice and 'Springy' however. :)

Right now it's cold (for SoCal) and hail is falling. Hope not too much gets squashed.