PDA

View Full Version : Outside door mat advice

Gardenarian
1-3-14, 3:09pm
Hi there,

I'm trying to minimize cleaning and have a door mat on either side of the entry. In summer dry weather, a piece of carpet works fine to wipe feet, but I'm having trouble finding a mat that works well in wet weather. We have a rubber mat, but that doesn't do much for getting the dirt off shoes. Coir and other mats get soggy, and we have wood decking outside the door - don't want any rot there.

So what I'm looking for is something that will drain and not absorb water, but will still do a good job of getting dirt off shoes. We get no snow here, just rain in the winter. (Usually.)

(I have tried going "no shoes inside" and it helps, but there are times when we just run in and out all day. Also, I need to wear shoes at all times for the next six months due to foot problems.)

Looking forward to your suggestions!

nswef
1-3-14, 5:47pm
We bought a water hog for two doors about 15 years ago. I have noticed a huge difference in the amount of mess dragged in. They vacuum well and supposedly can be washed with a hose. LLBean, LandsEnd and Vermont Country Store have them. They aren't cheap, but last forever. The inside ones have a lip to hold water, exterior have no lip so the water drains off. I haven't used an exterior one.

CathyA
1-3-14, 5:51pm
I see they have them on Amazon.

Gardenarian
1-3-14, 7:56pm
I thought those were for inside use? I'm thinking even a water hog mat would get soggy if left out in the rain?

nswef
1-3-14, 9:12pm
I put it inside the door. It's worked very well- the water hog

ToomuchStuff
1-4-14, 12:04am
I picked up (late neighbors estate) a boot scraper, that I keep at the bottom of the steps. I would look at Amazon for idea's, because they have something similar to mine (basically a flat steel bar you use the edge of, that is stuck in the ground.), to something like my brother had out at the farm (on Amazon the animal ones that incorporate the brushes), and later the brush and wire ones. (there are also some in rubber).
A boot scraper will not get out the fine stuff (and if it is wet, stuff can clog a brush so each have pluses and minuses).

Wood (non pressure treated) decking will always be an issue. I wonder about putting a mat in a tray, with a hole and hose, purposely drilled, to drain between the floor boards?

Birdie
1-4-14, 12:34am
I have Cape cod door mats outside my back doors http://www.brookstone.com/Cape-Cod-Doormat and my front door mat is a large mat like the water hog mat. All the doors have a washable rug inside too. I wash the inside rugs once or twice a week depending on the weather.

Yarrow
1-4-14, 4:27am
I don't use door mats outside because I've never found one that doesn't just become a mess with the weather. I use thick washable rugs inside the door. They do a good job of catching the dirt, etc. and when they get too filthy I can shake them out and then throw in the washing machine.

frugal-one
1-4-14, 2:22pm
I bought a number of outdoor mats made from tires from an auction one year. They wear like iron and keep from tracking into the house. We also use a boot scraper... as someone else mentioned .. in front of the garage door.

http://www.americanfloormats.com/tire-link-door-mats/?gclid=CJv3oNSe5bsCFfPm7Aod_0UAUw

This site is neat.... should give you other ideas for mats you may use!

maryellen
1-5-14, 10:09pm
We live in conditions that demand good mats (snow, lots of mud, dust, gravel….). I have been very pleased with this type (from frugal-one's link): http://www.americanfloormats.com/pronged-rubber-mats/
It holds a lot of dirt, and has been very durable. Before this I tried coir- which disintegrated pretty rapidly outdoors in our dry environment (it seemed to create at least as much debris as it picked up.) We use the water hog type inside.

Gardenarian
1-6-14, 1:00am
Both of those from American Floor Mats look excellent! Thanks so much for the links - I'll explore the choices with dh.
:thankyou:

Float On
1-6-14, 10:07am
I have those same American floor mats - woven tire at both front door and back door. Both porches are covered so there isn't any rain getting on them, but we're rural and muddy and I've got chickens that free-range so I needed something that I could hose off easily and throw back down. LOVE THEM! I've probably had mine 15 years. I also keep mats I've crocheted out of old t-shirts right inside the doors and most of us do take off the shoes or switch to our 'indoor shoes'. I hate the pile of shoes by the doors but we don't want to track anything on the wood or carpets.

Gardenarian
1-6-14, 1:55pm
Thanks for the good review, Float on! Hardly anything lasts 15 years anymore - sounds like a good investment.

creaker
1-6-14, 4:22pm
We bought a water hog for two doors about 15 years ago. I have noticed a huge difference in the amount of mess dragged in. They vacuum well and supposedly can be washed with a hose. LLBean, LandsEnd and Vermont Country Store have them. They aren't cheap, but last forever. The inside ones have a lip to hold water, exterior have no lip so the water drains off. I haven't used an exterior one.

That's nice to hear - I got this as a Christmas present, so far I like it, it's an interior/exterior one I have outside: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/76924?feat=506645-GN2&page=indoor-outdoor-locking-circles-waterhog-mat&attrValue_0=Green&productId=1274490 - and made in USA

frugal-one
1-23-14, 5:38pm
So, Gardenarian... did you buy mats? If so, what did you decide on?

redfox
1-23-14, 10:27pm
Thanks, y'all! I just sent our old one out with the trash yesterday, and have been pondering a replacement. Very helpful reviews here.

Gardenarian
1-24-14, 5:39pm
We're going to get the tire style - haven't ordered yet. (I'm always slow to spend money - got to ponder on it a while :-)
I just use an inexpensive mat with a non-slip back indoors - I prefer the kind I can throw in the wash.