PDA

View Full Version : New Exciting Changes

TxZen
1-5-14, 2:11pm
Hey y'all!! Good morning!!! Well, here it the straight story. After 23 years in mostly the same job, I am quitting to go back to college this fall. I will be 40 and I am terrified and excited at the same time!!! I am moving from the behind the desk in healthcare to out front, specializing in health and wellness. I love where I currently work but my job takes all I have to get it done. I have tried to get creative to find the passion again for my job but it’s just not there. I have felt that way for the past 2-3 years and I am taking a huge leap of faith and with a lot of soul searching and a lot of time on the yoga mat to find my true path.

This has inspired me to push myself and my family to live with WAY less. I, so far, have decluttered another 3 garbage bags of items to a Church charity and I am constantly pushing the envelope. I have no set number but my mantra is If it doesn't make me smile, I ain't keeping it!!! LOL Simple but effective.

I have pared down my corporate gear to just enough for 8 days of work, with mixing and matching going on. I have donated 2 bags just of clothing, shoes, jewelry, etc. When all is said and done, I will have 2 pairs of fancy pants, 2 suit type jackets, 1 lace skirt, 3 dresses, 3 pairs of jeans, a few floaty tops (which I wear with jeans and shorts or fancy pants), a basket of workout gear with 2 pairs of sneakers/socks/ sports bras/ swimsuit/ backpack, 2 pairs of kitten heels, various flip flops/sandals, 2 pairs of ballet flats, 2 pairs of cowgirl boots and a pair of warm winter boots, house shoes. I have 1 winter jacket with heavy scarf, 2 fleece, 1 sweatshirt, 2 sport jerseys, jean jacket (this might go) and leather jacket, a few tank tops, swimsuit for non sports, 3 pairs of shorts, underclothes for 8 days, 1 cowgirl rattan hat, 1 small purse, 1 tote bag for traveling (this may change to something else later on), 1 leather workbag, 1 clutch (Which I sometimes use in my workbag) 2 pairs of sunglasses, 2 pairs of regular glasses, 3 scarves (may pair down to 1 or 2) and about 12 pieces of jewelry. I realized I wore a LOT of black and I want happy colors in my life. I mostly like pinks and turquoise/sea blues and to see my little happy wardrobe makes me happy every day.
There is a pile of about 10 items that I will use for our painting project coming up, mostly old yoga pants and t shirts. Then I will toss all those items.
This is about a 1/3 of what I used to own. It’s awesome!!! I am wearing everything now.
It was hard giving up some of the items and I truly had to work through those moments but I am happy I experienced those feelings and now I understand why I kept them and the value they held over me. It may sound silly, but I had this beautiful name brand Navy blue pea coat, with a pretty fluttered collar. It was so cute and warm but I just never wore it and when I did, it was VERY heavy. Even with the unusually cold temps here in Texas this year, I still just wear my puffy black jacket with hood and I am happy. I can tell y’all I put that jacket in the” to donate” pile about 10x. But I finally let go and it’s been a week and I don’t regret it at all.
So why all the change? I need a creative outlet and I figure I have always been interested in holistic health and well being, so why not get paid to do so? I benefit from it physically, emotionally and in my soul and I can help people. Sitting behind a desk, working up to 14 hours a day and watching life go by is NOT worth the paycheck. I have never taken any risk in my life and now is the time.
Also, my dad has been very sick with cancer and although I don’t know where this year will take us, it made me look at my life. Life is now, life is short, live it now. Money is that last thing on my mind and as we push our simple lives even further, I am developing into my true self. I a certainly already reaping benefits.

redfox
1-5-14, 2:30pm
Yay! I went back to school at 41, and love having my MA. My biggest mistake was taking out too much in student loans, which have grown to a sum that I will never be able to repay. Nor will I ever qualify for another home mortgage, due to that debt. In fact, it's likely that my social security will be garnished to pay some of this back; they can take up to 15%. BE CAREFUL!

JaneV2.0
1-5-14, 2:50pm
Holistic health is an exciting emerging field, and encompasses a wide range of disciplines. Good luck with your schooling!

Gardenarian
1-5-14, 2:52pm
Congratulations! It sounds like you have found your path. What kind of medicine will you be studying?

Yes, it can be difficult to get rid of things. I struggle with this and it is always helpful to read of success stories like yours.

Best of luck!

TxZen
1-5-14, 3:29pm
I am very fortunate to have my GI Bill left. I am studying population health and exercise and sports science. I am so stinkin' excited!!!

I also working on removing distractions, whether it be FB, my phone, tv, dirty floors, too much of anything, people. I am striving for this one because I have I do better and feel better the quieter life I live.

ApatheticNoMore
1-5-14, 3:46pm
Quitting wholesale is something I could never bring myself to do. And then what if the other field doesn't work out? Have no money at all? (after having spent down money in the meantime to live on and go to school) Your a better person than me. People you love being sick doesn't really change anything, not for me it didn't, it doesn't actually change your perspective to make you any less scared, just grieved with all it's attendant emotions (which is a change of perspective for the time but hardly a positive one).

Selah
1-5-14, 4:49pm
Good luck, GreenMama! Shedding your physical stuff often accompanies very positive life changes like you're making now. Best wishes to you! :)

Dhiana
1-5-14, 6:08pm
Good for your Green Mama! I was 40 before I figured out what I wanted to do when I grew up =) Finally taking the leap makes it so much easier to see what is most important and what is clutter in ones life.

Stay focused on your goal!

TxZen
1-5-14, 6:15pm
Quitting wholesale is something I could never bring myself to do. And then what if the other field doesn't work out? Have no money at all? (after having spent down money in the meantime to live on and go to school) Your a better person than me. People you love being sick doesn't really change anything, not for me it didn't, it doesn't actually change your perspective to make you any less scared, just grieved with all it's attendant emotions (which is a change of perspective for the time but hardly a positive one).

I get this but as someone who lost EVERYTHING I owned 12 years ago and had to literally claw my way back, I guess my perspective is a bit different. :) Life will move on and I have learned to enjoy it.

In the past 4 months, we have only bought Christmas gifts, which we limited to budget. We have actively lowered our food, clothing and housebills. Always striving to do better.