PDA

View Full Version : birthday trip ideas?

pinkytoe
1-8-14, 4:10pm
Next September, DH and I will celebrate a landmark birthday for both of us. We would like to take a memorable trip to honor our decades.
I have started poking around the internet to get ideas but am overwhelmed by the possibilities. The things that sound wonderful are beyond our budget ($3-4K) unless I stumble onto some extra money somewhere:) I am not real big on packaged tours or cruises but not having to plan every detail might feel more relaxing.
Hawaii? Alaska? Costa Rica? Canada? US Natl parks? Puerto Rico? Totally unplanned road trip - get in the car and go?
I guess I am just brainstorming and looking for ideas or starting points.We want to see beautiful natural places before they change or disappear.Love trains and out of the way places - not tourist traps.

Float On
1-8-14, 5:35pm
My grandparents were big fans of getting in the car and Dalton would say "right or left, Doris?" and they'd end up somewhere great and having a wonderful time. That's my vote.

catherine
1-8-14, 6:13pm
My grandparents were big fans of getting in the car and Dalton would say "right or left, Doris?" and they'd end up somewhere great and having a wonderful time. That's my vote.

I'm with you on that one!

nswef
1-8-14, 9:04pm
What about following route 66 or route 40 or route 30...just kind of meander with an eye to seeing lakes or streams...fish hatcheries...bird sanctuaries?

iris lilies
1-8-14, 9:38pm
I'm with you on that one!

That never works for us. DH is very Germanic, he must have a plan, he likes to know where we are going. Now that said, he's extremely flexible about travel, he'll go anywhere. But each morning he wants his marching orders, he needs to know what the day holds. Not minute-by-minute or hour-by-hour, but the plan for the day.

For our 50th birthdays we did a trip that I had always wanted to do: stay in Scottish castles for a week then hire a canal boat in the UK for a week. It was great and I got that out of my system.

I like the idea of following famous roads (although personally I dislike road trips as vacation.) If the OP likes nature, read up on the top 5 national parks (not the biggest, not the most well known but the ones that get consistently the highest ratings from visitors) and plan a trip around them.

Or choose a part of the country or continent to see that you've not seen before. I would consider 1) New England or 2) Nova Scotia or both, for me, if I was doing the outdoor /nature thing.

I like cities, but that's not what the OP wants, so I don't have a lot of ideas.

Float On
1-8-14, 10:05pm
http://www.sailmainecoast.com/ We've been looking at one of these cruises for our 25th anniversary trip - all sizes of old ships.

nswef
1-8-14, 10:58pm
I loved Prince Edward Island. Lake Michigan. Maine We drove Maine free style on the coast one Sept. when we first retired. Our first trip not knowing where we were staying each night...just used coupons and going in a looking...hard for me as I am like the poster who said her husband likes a PLAN. But, it was memorable and fun. Some dumpy places, some very nice, but the trip was fantastic. 9 hours from us, so once there it's not bad.

nswef
1-8-14, 10:58pm
Float On I've looked at those. Not sure if I want to do it with anyone else. I like to be on vacation with only my husband.

Spartana
1-9-14, 2:03am
You can look into renting a vacation house somewhere very interesting for a week or two. Drive or fly and rent a car once you are at your destination. That way you can be "alone" (hubba hubba) with DH and have all the privacy you want, can unpack once, have more space then in a motel room, cook your own meals if you want, and don't have to muck around trying to find a new place each night to sleep in. Then you can spend your days doing different interesting things that you both enjoy. Summer is the high month nearly everywhere with prices reflecting that, so if you can go at shoulder season (late spring or early fall) then you can get great deals.

As to where to go - well since I don't know where you live or what you're interested in I don't have any suggestions. The central and northern Calif coasts are spectacular with beautiful scenery, coastal mountains, redwood groves, lovely towns and wineries, and many stunning National Parks.

catherine
1-9-14, 7:53am
When I was traveling on business in September and was trying to come up with ideas for DH's 60th, I happened across this resort in the United Hemispheres magazine and was really taken in by it! If I had a few thousand, I'd seriously consider it myself. See what you think. Also, not a bad idea to peruse that magazine or other travel magazines--they have lots of ideas. Many are quite pricey I'm sure, but they may trigger an idea.

http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/2013/09/01/this-months-hottest-hotels-9/

ETA: Oops.. Just went to the website. One night stay is $1500! :-(
However, that area might be a good idea--Grand Canyon

SteveinMN
1-9-14, 10:15am
I love the point-(the-car-)and-shoot idea -- some of my favorite vacations were done that way. But if you want to see "beautiful natural places before they change or disappear", I think you'll have to do more planning -- unless you can pick a highway like I-90 that passes through or close to several scenic areas.

Maybe you could narrow it down to an area of the country/world of which you'd like to see more -- or have never ever seen? And, if you can include some non-U.S. destinations, could currency exchange or the destination's local economy have a bearing in how long you could stay or how much you'd have to spend?

cdttmm
1-9-14, 12:23pm
Depending on when in September, you might consider a road trip through parts of New England. By mid-month we usually have gorgeous leaves and the weather is often great for hiking or other outdoor adventures.

razz
1-9-14, 12:43pm
One year DH and I started the idea of driving until we had to fill the gas tank and then stopping there to camp and to explore what the area offered. Some places were in Vermont, some Maine and some New Brunswick. It was fun and we discovered the world of driving off the expressways so we meandered in small towns with lovely building, gardens and history. Never would we have read about or planned these visits. Very thrifty holiday, BTW, despite eating out each evening at a the local favourite eating hole. Had my first New England boiled dinner at one old inn which had a sandwich board in front promoting the dinner between 5 -7pm, if I remember correctly.

Float On
1-9-14, 1:36pm
We use to always return to Hilton Head and the family condos for our Anniversaries every year, then we spent years and years doing the BMAC shows in Philly over our anniversaries. This year we're returning to SC for spring break with the kids but to a condo at Beaufort instead of HH. MIL sold all the HH condos and someone owes my lawyer BIL some money and offered his condo as partial payment - we get the benefit! Day trips to Charleston and Savannah are already planned.

Honestly for my birthday the last few years I've enjoyed a private retreat all by myself. It's my favorite way to start my new year. I've already got the little ranch cottage reserved that I've used before. It's only 40 minutes from home and wonderful and refreshing.

frugal-one
1-9-14, 4:07pm
Next September, DH and I will celebrate a landmark birthday for both of us. We would like to take a memorable trip to honor our decades.
I have started poking around the internet to get ideas but am overwhelmed by the possibilities. The things that sound wonderful are beyond our budget ($3-4K) unless I stumble onto some extra money somewhere:) I am not real big on packaged tours or cruises but not having to plan every detail might feel more relaxing.
Hawaii? Alaska? Costa Rica? Canada? US Natl parks? Puerto Rico? Totally unplanned road trip - get in the car and go?
I guess I am just brainstorming and looking for ideas or starting points.We want to see beautiful natural places before they change or disappear.Love trains and out of the way places - not tourist traps.

Need to know what type of things you enjoy doing. DH and I just got back (November) from a WONDERFUL vacation for a week that I planned. We stayed in Fort Lauderdale, went to the Keys, tramped around the Everglades. Total cost was around $1,800 for airfare, hotel, rental car, meals, and tickets for what we wanted to do. We love nature and animal photography. Pick what interests you and plan from there. It does take planning but TOTALLY worth it. We have another trip planned in a month. I have the motels/hotels, air, and car already booked. I will print out various options of things to do closer to the date.

pinkytoe
1-9-14, 4:51pm
what type of things you enjoy doing
Places: Nature preserves or parks, coasts, gardens, mountains, historical sites.
Activities: Hiking, gardening, photography (this is key with dh), riding trains, birding
We live in deep Texas where everything seems far away.
Have been to California and PNW, Rockies, desert SW and Chicago/St Louis. That's it.
Have never been to New England, the South, Florida.
Leaning towards a road trip ending in Alaska where we could take ferries rather than expensive cruises and then fly back.
I am always drawn to the west for some reason.

new2oregon
1-9-14, 5:00pm
The white mountains in New Hampshire are very nice and also the Maine coast. If you do go to Alaska I have seen stuff about a train you can take in Alaska.

Lainey
1-9-14, 9:04pm
I agree with starting with what you'd find most enjoyable and plan around that.
Trips to see most beautiful public gardens? History buff? Outdoors/Mountain hiking person, or Indoors/museum person?

Lots of states have travel bureaus who could point out some interesting sites off the beaten path. Maybe even AAA could give some ideas.

Blackdog Lin
1-13-14, 6:20pm
California is an awful big state - and you mentioned mountains - have you been to the High Sierras? Lake Tahoe? We think that area is about the most beautiful scenery we've ever seen in our lives (not that we've seen all that much. :) ) Maybe look into VRBO, rent a mountain cabin centrally located somewhere so you could do hikes and day trips?

catherine
1-13-14, 6:42pm
If you decided to go with New England, there's so much to do, and it's a relatively small part of the country.

You have beaches all up along 95, through CT straight up through Maine--and you get to hit Boston along the way.
You have mountains in the western parts, like Pittsfield, MA, and of course you have mountains in VT and NH.
You have so much history, if you enjoy that kind of thing.

I think it would make a nice vacation if you haven't been there before, and you could definitely do it on your budget.

RosieTR
1-13-14, 11:17pm
OK, based on your preferences I would suggest flying to Seattle and exploring Olympic National Park and Mt Rainier National Park. The seacoast is very different from TX's seacoast, the terrain is very different, late summer/early fall is usually dry-ish and a Texan would find it rather pleasant temperature (unlike the locals, who complain if it gets above 80 and yes I'm looking at you Bae ;-). Rainier is absolutely beautiful with wildflowers that time of year, plus wild blackberries. Olympic National Park has a coast plus vast, vast greenery that you can hardly believe if you're from the dry SW. You might also get to see snow if you're intrepid enough to hike up to the snowfield below Camp Muir. All this said, I have not been to Alaska which would be a dream trip. But word is that late summer can be a beast with bugs, so plan carefully.
Another fantastic Sept trip with mountains would be Yellowstone, or the Durango-Silverton narrow gauge railroad. But you may have already done these; I can't remember.

pinkytoe
1-14-14, 10:29am
So many great ideas - that's the issue. This Libran has a hard time with decisions. The fall has always been our time to travel though; we love how the crowds thin out. I will sit down with dh and show him your ideas and see what he thinks.

Spartana
1-17-14, 12:40pm
One thing I like to do is to just stay in one area that is central to a lot of different things I want to do/see. For instance when I go up to the San fran bay area I always stay in a very cute old Victorian (small) city called Petaluma that is within 25 - 50 miles of all sorts of things - San Francisco, Angel Island Nat Park, the Golden Gate Nat Rec area, Mt. Tamilpias, Pt Reys Nat Seashore, Bodega Bay, the Russian River, the redwood groves, the Napa and Sonoma wine country, etc.. I can spend the day going off exploring all sorts of cool places and then spend the evening in the quaint and lively downtown area of Petaluma. I try to do that whenever I going - especially if I am going on a shorter trips (2 weeks or less) because it lets me focus on one large but diverse area without having to spend a lot of time motel hunting each day. I like having a "base camp" opf any kind (even when tent camping) but I usually just stay at a motel but have stayed in B and B's, a inns, or even a vacation rental house. It can also be cheaper to get a place for a week or 2 or longer then pay a day to day rate as you can often find more discounts. Heck even a budget place like Motel 6 has weekly rates in some areas that are lower than their daily rates.

befree
2-26-14, 10:56pm
When I went on an cruise to Alaska, I was blown away by the beauty of the area, and didn't get to do 1/10 the activities that were available, since the cruise ship took off after only a few hours in port. So here's my idea: look into taking the Alaskan ferry system between Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, and stay a few days in each gorgeous area. Hike a glacier, visit a bear sanctuary, kayak, helicopter over a fjord.....Combine it with a epic train trip into Denali Park. Idea #2: San Francisco area, as Spartana said, with the addition of Big Sur to the south. Beautiful, lush area. Did I read you live in TX? Don't forget one of the most magical places on earth: our own Big Bend.

pinkytoe
2-27-14, 10:30am
Don't forget one of the most magical places on earth: our own Big Bend.
Yes it is gorgeous. DD is there right now.

pinkytoe
7-14-14, 11:47am
I am revisiting this thread as we are still hemming and hawing about where to go. The Alaska cruise keeps creeping into my mind but would need to book in the next week to get on their last September voyage. Then again, the very thought of a cruise being like a crowded, floating mall creeps me out a bit but it might be very relaxing not to do anything but eat and enjoy the scenery. Anyone done the huge ship cruise thing?

razz
7-14-14, 1:12pm
Anyone done the huge ship cruise thing?
Some people enjoy it and I intensely dislike it so if you find, like me, that crowds turn you off, it may not be your thing. Some like the relaxed atmosphere but until you actually do a cruise, you won't really know for sure. It is a lovely part of the world to see so make this your discovery time.

sweetana3
7-14-14, 2:49pm
We have done the huge cruise ship thing and did think about Alaska. The scenery is fantastic and the deals can be great. But skip the overpriced shore excursions unless they have been recommended on the forums on cruisecritic.com. A great place to compare prices is vacationstogo dot com. I used them 3X and their website is extraordinary.

The Alaska cruises tend to be busier and less formal than the other venues. We skip most restaurant dinners and opt for the smaller patio/buffet dining that is almost always available for those who dont want to "dress up". Love eating when we want and relaxing. Balcony is so worth it as an extra private spot to enjoy being on the ship and the weather. I spent many happy hours pretending I was on a yacht.