PDA

View Full Version : A Beautifully Written Article in the Times About Seeking a Simpler Life

Weston
3-11-11, 5:22pm
The subject of the article is fascinating and I must say that the reporter writes like a dream.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/10/garden/10texas.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

razz
3-11-11, 8:01pm
It is well written! Thanks!

Wildflower
3-11-11, 9:55pm
Enjoyed reading! :+1:

JaneV2.0
3-11-11, 10:42pm
Mr. Wells, a sociable and cheerful host, is more than content to be living alone.

“I’ve been single for so long,” he said. “I can’t imagine not being single. The thought of compromising my day doesn’t appeal to me; I don’t care what the benefits are.”

That resonated perfectly with me.

gimmethesimplelife
3-12-11, 1:24am
Mr. Wells, a sociable and cheerful host, is more than content to be living alone.

“I’ve been single for so long,” he said. “I can’t imagine not being single. The thought of compromising my day doesn’t appeal to me; I don’t care what the benefits are.”

That resonated perfectly with me.I was thinking the exact same thing myself! Rob

Stella
3-12-11, 6:19am
Nice! I love stories about people who pave their own way. Very inspiring.

Kat
3-12-11, 8:18am
Cool! Thanks for sharing!

fidgiegirl
3-12-11, 3:31pm
Aw, Benita. Sweet.

HappyHiker
3-15-11, 8:26pm
Story lifted my heart...now I want a pet Longhorn and a burro named Mr. Floppy...

WorldFoodie
3-17-11, 1:30am
nice-thanks :)

SRP
3-18-11, 3:26pm
I really enjoyed reading his website. It's also pretty neat that he's willing to share his lifestyle, give tours, etc. so others can learn.

jp1
3-22-11, 12:01am
His story actually reminds me of some long-lost friends of mine. THey had grown up in NYC in the 30s/40s and at some point in the late 70s/early 80s they decided they'd had enough of the city and moved upstate about 4 hours outside the city to a rundown farm. Unlike him they had 4 children at the time, so it was quite an experience for everyone. I became friends with their youngest daughter in 1990 (she was 20 at the time), who had spent most of her life on the farm upstate and totally loved it. THe first time I visited it was quite a shock to a lifetime urbanite like me since it was still very rundown, but there was no question that they were happy with their decision and happy in their lives. I'm not ready to make such a drastic change in my life today but I definitely don't rule it out for the future.

nithig
3-22-11, 1:46am
chain-smoking through a tour of the raw, rocky land
hmmmm....so perhaps he's not at peace with himself yet?