PDA

View Full Version : Washing machine dying...

redfox
1-10-14, 11:17am
And we just got the dryer repaired! They are a stack unit. Looks like we'll be replacing them soon, as the unit cost about $800, and the washer fix is estimated at $1600. Bearings going out. This is a 7 year old unit, which frosts my shorts. My Mom moved her washer across country on the late 60's, and it lasted her 35 years!!

Now, we're looking at a single washer/dryer unit. I am in the research phase, and I'd love to hear from those of you who have used one, bought one, etc. Any recommendations? Or, any recs for a reputable stack unit? I will never buy another GE appliance, that is for sure.

Thanks!

catherine
1-10-14, 11:28am
I looked at those when I was redoing the kitchen of the house next door that we bought for MIL/BIL. I thought a single unit in the kitchen would be great for her, so she wouldn't have to go down to the basement to do laundry.

I researched them, and basically at that time (2008) a lot of people said that the washer is OK, but it takes a lot longer to dry the clothes. I wound up not putting a W/D in the kitchen for that reason and also because the realtor said it would diminish the value of the house.

If I were you, I would go with the stack over the single unit.

SteveinMN
1-10-14, 1:03pm
I've long considered moving the laundry in my mom's place to a nook just off the kitchen. Laundry is the only reason she has to visit the basement. I'm not sure how that could be a bad idea. Really, in this time of aging in place, how could a well-done installation diminish the value of the house? *shrug* Our main barrier has been expense -- running water/gas lines and creating outlets for the waste.

redfox, you have pretty much four choices:

- Another tall stacked combo unit. The plus is that they're cheap. The minus is that they're cheap. Aside from the fact that mass-market American appliances just are not designed and built to last decades like they used to, these units in particular are designed to a low price point and the quality and features will show, especially nowadays.

- A separate washer and dryer which can be stacked atop each other. The pluses: you can buy the quality and features you want/need, and a "fatal" issue with one of them does not force you to replace them both. The minuses: you're pretty much locked into a front-load washer (which saves 60-80% of the water and detergent a top-loader users and is more gentle on clothes, but is more complicated and more expensive in general); they often are significantly bigger than combination units; and a decent set will cost you at least $1000 new and more likely $2000.

- A combination washer/dryer. The complication catherine refers to is that the dryers in most of these units are what are called "condensing" dryers. These don't exhaust the moist water from the clothes out a vent like traditional dryers. Rather, they use a temperature differential to condense moisture in the clothes on a surface and then dissipates into the air around the dryer. The plus: in tight places, there's no need to punch a hole in the wall to vent moist air. The minuses: condensing dryers take much longer to dry clothes (sometimes in smaller batches), and they tend to cost more than equivalent venting dryers.

- Buy a used replacement from an appliance store that reconditions appliances and place your bet. I've done this with the W/D in my mom's place. The units are used, but they come with a warranty (90 days, I think) and it would not pay the store to refurb an appliance that's already on its last legs or just designed problematically to begin with. It's a good balance between buying new ($$$) and getting nothing but a box by buying off craigslist. Over time, this may be the cheapest way to go, though you do run the risk of a short warranty and are kind of at the mercy of whatever is available at the store(s) when you need another one.

The days of appliances lasting decades and decades are pretty much gone -- unless you want to pay for the top rank of appliances, like Miele, ASKO, and some Bosch. This is especially true of "wet" appliances like washers, dishwashers, and refrigerators. Unfortunately, these appliances are expensive (the bottom-of-the-line Miele washer goes for around $2,000) and their service networks are not strong outside of larger urban areas.

rodeosweetheart
1-10-14, 2:36pm
And we just got the dryer repaired! They are a stack unit. Looks like we'll be replacing them soon, as the unit cost about $800, and the washer fix is estimated at $1600. Bearings going out. This is a 7 year old unit, which frosts my shorts. My Mom moved her washer across country on the late 60's, and it lasted her 35 years!!

Now, we're looking at a single washer/dryer unit. I am in the research phase, and I'd love to hear from those of you who have used one, bought one, etc. Any recommendations? Or, any recs for a reputable stack unit? I will never buy another GE appliance, that is for sure.

Thanks!

Here's a link to an LG unit at Amazon. I was intrigued with these, too, and there are a lot of reviews.

Lainey
1-10-14, 7:39pm
Just a caution: my co-worker has just had to replace a 2 year old LG refrigerator (fortunately under warranty), and has had 4 repair visits for his 2-year old LG electric stove. Pretty ridiculous, or as they say, "ridic"

redfox
1-10-14, 11:19pm
We're looking at a Bosch combo. Sears has a 12 month no interest on appliances deal going, and we could put that into the cash flow & make it work. But... No one seems to actually have the models available to see & mess around with! They're "special order" thus far. Hopefully we'll track down a set tomorrow, and then consider the expense. Oy vey.

IshbelRobertson
1-11-14, 4:34am
I have had Bosch appliances for many years. In fact, when we had a new kitchen fitted two years ago, we donated the working fridge, dishwasher and washing machine and freezer to a local charity and replaced them with new Bosch appliances. There was nothing wrong with the appliances, they were just the wrong colour for the new design and my slight OCD tendencies made me know they would stick out like sore thumbs!

I really like Bosch!

Lots of my friends have Miele, but they are really expensive and appear no more reliable than Bosch.

redfox
1-11-14, 11:03pm
Well, after visits to five big box stores, and hours of online research, I just bought a W/D combo, LG 3050. First price I found was $899 each. Got to $599 each, after finding an online deal and Home Depot matching it. Whew. They will be delivered on the 21st. Basic machine with ultra large capacity for all the blankets & rugs I wash. I sure hope it lasts... They build Kenmore, and I've seen good reviews of both.

I also discovered that I can access Consumer Reports online with my library card! Woo hoo. So glad this is done. Thanks for the advice, all.