PDA

View Full Version : The Royal Wedding

redfox
3-11-11, 10:01pm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-wedding/8374292/All-you-need-to-recreate-the-Royal-wedding-in-wool.html

redfox
3-11-11, 10:01pm
So much fun...

iris lily
3-11-11, 11:54pm
I'm not very pumped by this one. For Diana's, I didn't even have a tv that year and I rented a motel room with television to watch it. That's pretty dedicated, you've got to admit.

I am still kicking myself for not going to her funeral. The media scared people off, I think, by intimating there'd be millions there and it woudl be one big crush. I think I could have found a place to stand to see the casket.

Now based on all of that you'd think I was a big Princess Diana fan, but I am far more interested in the cult of Diana than in Diana herself. Ok I will admit that I read about 20 some biographies of her. Her life and death were Epic. I really like her red headed lover, The Cad. He's such a bad boy. Trying to sell her letters! oh that is bad! >8)

So for Kate's wedding I am just very interested in her dress which she will wear beautifully. I hope it's not too weird. Classic wedding dreses like Grace Kelley's and even Princess Anne's don't look dated, but Diana's was over the top poufy.

Wildflower
3-12-11, 4:09am
Iris Lily, I bet you would really enjoy the Princess Diana exhibit they have going on now in Kansas City, MO at the Union Station. It's there through June I believe. I plan to go see it. They have Diana's wedding dress and tiara on display, along with many other outfits, family photos, childhood things of her's on display.

I think Will and Kate's union will be a wonderful thing. Afterall, they have dated for many years, lived together for awhile now, and know that they are compatible and really do love each other. Charles and Diana's marriage was doomed from the start. So sad she married a man that was in love with another woman. I don't think at her young age she had any idea what she was getting into....

iris lily
3-12-11, 4:44pm
Iris Lily, I bet you would really enjoy the Princess Diana exhibit they have going on now in Kansas City, MO at the Union Station. It's there through June I believe. I plan to go see it. They have Diana's wedding dress and tiara on display, along with many other outfits, family photos, childhood things of her's on display.

oh wanh why did KC get that and we dd not?>:(

Wildflower
3-13-11, 4:31am
oh wanh why did KC get that and we dd not?>:(

KC is the happening place these days. :cool: The Union Station has been beautifully renovated with an exhibition hall downstairs. They've had lots of neat exhibits there. Not to mention the new Sprint Center with fabulous concerts, and the Kansas City Power and Light district downtown is the new cool place to eat and party....

Time for a road trip or a ride on the Amtrak train - will bring you directly from St. Louis to the Union Station. :D

IshbelRobertson
3-13-11, 7:05pm
At least this one, known as Waity-Katie by much of our media in the UK, will know EXACTLY what type of family she's marrying into, unlike poor Lady D Spencer.

Gina
3-13-11, 7:28pm
I don't mean to offend anyone, but why is there any interest in royal weddings in the UK? I can understand people who live there having interest, but in other countries? I've never understood it.

And I'd go to Union Station to watch or ride the trains. ;)

iris lily
3-13-11, 9:49pm
I don't mean to offend anyone, but why is there any interest in royal weddings in the UK? I can understand people who live there having interest, but in other countries? I've never understood it.

And I'd go to Union Station to watch or ride the trains. ;)

I've always preferred English novels and I learned a lot about English life in them. I prefer English history, too. The aristocracy and their lives and foibles, pretty interesting stuff, and the current Royals while cut off at the knees as far as having any real power are the remnant of those earlier interesting times. I especially love castles, and you can't have castles without the aristocracy who built them.

Gina
3-14-11, 12:45am
I especially love castles, and you can't have castles without the aristocracy who built them.
That's true. I love visiting places like that. Same with wonderful old churches, and I am now a non-believer. The history - good, bad, and ugly - is an essential component for enjoying these structures.

But that is history, and this wedding is present day. Thinking of these royals as a remnant of something from the past makes it easier to understand why someone not in the UK would be interested. And it's also tomorrow's history. ;)

Wildflower
3-14-11, 4:36am
Anything and everything English has always fascinated me since I was a little girl. Books, movies, music, the lifestyle, English gardens, English decor, castles, cottages, the royals, tea parties, you name it - I love it. My own home is Tudor style with cottage gardens - and the inside English style decor. I grew up living next door to an English woman and spent alot of time with her and her little girl. I loved everything about her -from her accent to the way she dressed and decorated her home.

Redfox, I love the knitted royal family. LOL That is beyond cute and fun! I especially like the knitted Corgis. I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi myself. I believe last I heard the Queen currently has 8 Corgis. :D

beckyliz
3-14-11, 5:27pm
I love that they even have little knitted corgis! I never really cared for Diana's dress, but since we're only about 60 miles from KC's Union Station, my DD and I may try to go see the exhibit. I'm looking forward to seeing Kate's dress. I think because Kate is older and has a little more life experience, plus the fact that the Royals learned a lot of what NOT to do with Diana, that Kate & William will have a much smoother public life. Plus the fact that I think they are much more suited for each other than Charles and Diana.

Spider In The Bath
3-15-11, 9:06am
...and the best thing is we all get a day off work for the wedding.

If you like the Royals there is a great book by my favourite author Alan Bennett. It is called The Uncommon Reader and it is all about what happens when the Queen joins her local library. It is very funny.

IshbelRobertson
3-15-11, 10:28am
I'm Scots. I'm in no way a royalist!

Nella
3-15-11, 3:37pm
I'm leading a group of women touring London this April from the 11th to the 22nd. We'll just miss the royal wedding, but I'm not sure that's such a bad thing. I'm very nervous that venues will be very crowded for the group I'm taking. We all bought our plane tickets and got our rooms booked before the engagement was announced. The media was told that the wedding would be in late spring or early summer. When they announced it for the 26th, I let out a big sigh that we'll actually be gone by then. Not that I wouldn't be interested myself, but I don't want to try to navigate the city that day. I think it's going to be tough enough handling the week or two prior.

Say, "Spider," do you know of any websites that could tell me what, if anything, will be shut down or possibly open even longer hours because of the wedding? Museums, restaurants, theaters, etc? Thanks

IshbelRobertson
3-15-11, 6:29pm
As a Scot - can I point out that the 'Royal' wedding is a wedding in the British royal family, not just the English one? Oh, and we also have our share of museums, stately homes and castles? My home city of Edinburgh has at least three of the latter!

The terms 'English' and 'British' do not mean the same thing! The UK is made up of four nations: English, Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish. The latter three are proud nations that do not wish to be known as English.... Just saying....

Gina
3-15-11, 8:19pm
As a Scot - can I point out that the 'Royal' wedding is a wedding in the British royal family, not just the English one? Oh, and we also have our share of museums, stately homes and castles? My home city of Edinburgh has at least three of the latter!

I love Scotland. Been there several times and rode the train extensively. Just love Edinburgh too. First time I ever went to Europe we first went to Edinburgh and my first memory of the place was the first morning as we walked about and saw the colorful spring flowers, cool air and wonderful smells. The castle over-looking the city and parks is spectacular. Also once took the train all the way up to Wick on the longest day of the year - it never really got dark all night. That was quite an unusual adventure.

iris lily
3-15-11, 9:37pm
Love Edinburgh!

Just a few minutes ago I was thinking that I'm up for another trip with my family to Scotland, after swearing off more Scotland trips (because I do need to see the rest of the world!) but I think we all have a hankering to see the western side as a group. And I swear, if I get my brother there again (he hates airplanes1) I'm going to take him to York he'd like that city a lot. York is very very cool.

Gina
3-15-11, 9:42pm
Yes, York. I've only been there once, but it was absolutely wonderful. Easy to get to via train too. I don't think I'd ever drive in the UK since I tend to get left and right confused.

redfox
3-15-11, 10:38pm
I'm just into Corgis. And knitting.