PDA

View Full Version : A Theory

Xmac
3-12-11, 12:36am
I was thinking about old age recently because my father just turned 80 and because I'm volunteering with a new guy who is 93.

It came to me that old age, and all its accompanying features, is a bit like a natural push into meditation or just being more present; a last chance to settle the mind.

One can't move as easily so one has to just sit more often. Memory doesn't serve as well so the only thing there is to do is to watch what's going on, now. Not seeing and hearing as well is another feature which introduces an opportunity for less distraction. Pain is a tough one but it too can be viewed as a catalyst. To put attention on, and generate a curiosity for, pain rather than fight it or try to escape it brings another awareness that is not suffering.

Now, I know this may be easy for me to say, still having all my faculties working, but I've met old Buddhist monks who seem brimming with enthusiasm. Of course, none of the above is useful if one's mental attitude is one of anger and resistance towards aging and death.

chord_ata
3-14-11, 4:07pm
I would agree that worn-out old age reduces opportunities to do things besides meditation and makes acceptance of meditation timeblocks easier to choose.

I would, however, prefer to be well practised before then, since stamina to start new stuff during worn-out old age is likely to be lacking.

Madsen
3-14-11, 5:45pm
Maybe it's the other way around ---- the better you are at meditating and other sustaining & affirming practices like yoga, journaling, etc., the more fulfilling your life will be during the later stages.