PDA

View Full Version : Pete Seeger, 1919-2014

redfox
1-28-14, 10:27am
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/29/arts/music/pete-seeger-songwriter-and-champion-of-folk-music-dies-at-94.html?hp

catherine
1-28-14, 11:28am
I know.. Great obit in the Times. I loved reading more about his life and commitment to his values during the McCarthy era. Wow, and those songs were such an important part of my growing up years--those folk songs led the way to and through the civil rights era in this country. Iconic.

IshbelRobertson
1-28-14, 2:00pm
Such a wonderful talent.

RIP.

Gardenarian
1-28-14, 3:02pm
Oh no - I hadn't heard that. A great person.

new2oregon
1-28-14, 3:16pm
I did not see that, thanks for posting. RIP Pete.

Sad Eyed Lady
1-28-14, 7:38pm
I have a facebook account and so many of my posts are ones promoting peace. Pete Seeger, (along with others), has been my inspiration. One image I have of him, (from something I read), was at an advanced age he was standing by the roadside near his home in a cold sleety rain holding up a handwritten cardboard sign. The sign had one word on it: Peace. Yes, my inspiration. RIP, Mr.Seeger.

Lainey
1-28-14, 9:27pm
My favorite moment in his obit is the description of his refusal to answer to the House Un-American Activities Committee.
Imagine how different things would have turned out if *everyone* who had been subpoened would have said the same; instead they remained cowed by McCarthy for years.

Pete was a true American.

Packy
1-28-14, 11:08pm
My theory is that there are two kinds of Music. One is the kind your English teacher would probably like, and the other is the kind of Music your music teacher would probably like. Pete Seeger played the kind your English teacher would like. He sure lived a long time, didn't he?