PDA

View Full Version : Retirement

Florence
2-9-14, 3:21pm
January 31 was DH's last day of work. He is now officially retired. I retired 3 years ago. We are set to have a reasonably comfortable retirement because years ago we decided to get out of debt and live well below our means. Paying cash, cooking at home from scratch, saving in our retirement accounts has really paid off for us. It would not have happened if we had a huge house & mortgage, bought new cars, and spent/charged to the limit. We have had a good, happy life before retirement and now look forward to a pleasant retirement. It can be done.

Teacher Terry
2-9-14, 3:23pm
So very happy for you guys:cool:

Simpler at Fifty
2-9-14, 3:48pm
Congratulations Florence and DH. :)

catherine
2-9-14, 4:02pm
Enjoy! That's wonderful that you did it all right!

Lainey
2-9-14, 6:27pm
That's terrific, Florence. Well-deserved.

Blackdog Lin
2-9-14, 7:36pm
Kudos and congrats Florence. I hope you both enjoy it as much as we do.....

danna
2-9-14, 7:44pm
Well earned, so enjoy to the fullest!!

razz
2-9-14, 9:59pm
Enjoy to living for your preferences rather than an employer's. What are you retiring to do? So many think of retiring "from" but not the "to".

CeciliaW
2-9-14, 10:56pm
Well Done!

mtnlaurel
2-10-14, 7:17am
So, so happy for you! Enjoy!!!

SteveinMN
2-10-14, 10:06am
Wonderful! Your planning has paid off in a most meaningful way. Enjoy!

pinkytoe
2-10-14, 10:23am
Now you can enjoy together!!

new2oregon
2-10-14, 11:33am
Congrats! Make the most of your time together.

JaneV2.0
2-10-14, 1:29pm
Enjoy your well-earned freedom!

Florence
2-11-14, 8:48am
Enjoy to living for your preferences rather than an employer's. What are you retiring to do? So many think of retiring "from" but not the "to".

DH retired Friday and on Monday we were on our way to the Rio Grande Valley to do a week of birding. So one thing we are definitely retiring to is birding. We have 4 acres of property that we are turning into a native plants sanctuary for birds and wildlife. I quilt and read. So there is no lack of pleasant interests around here. The best part of retirement for me has been the ability to wake up slowly--no leaping out of bed, into the shower, and out the door.

chrisgermany
2-11-14, 10:51am
Enjoy!
DH + myself retired last Sept. and almost every day we look at each other and say that it was the best decision ever. We both did not hate our jobs, but still...

Gardenarian
2-11-14, 3:00pm
Excellent - just waiting for the day when I can say the same thing!

razz
2-11-14, 4:26pm
Sorry if I sounded negative but so often, including with DH, it was hard for him to find a "to" after the "from" and painful to watch the struggle. It took me three years to find my "to".
You may well have greater plans already.

HappyHiker
2-19-14, 8:26pm
Simple pleasures are the best! We, too, live below our means and have no debt..it's so very freeing. Welcome to the simple living way of life! Enjoy.

Selah
2-25-14, 3:54pm
Right on, Florence! Congratulations to you and your husband! I love what you're doing to create a native plants bird sanctuary on your property. Do keep ups posted!

Sad Eyed Lady
2-25-14, 4:24pm
Congratulations to you both - enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!