PDA

View Full Version : 'Table top' and 'stepping stone'.

Gina
1-1-11, 5:03pm
I enjoy making things out of broken stained glass. These are the last two I've done.

The larger is about 17 inches across and a 3-legged yard sale lamp will go on top. The picture was taken at an angle so you can see the irridescence on the outer petals, and a bit of the gold more towards the center.

The smaller is 12 inches, and it can be thin-set on to a stepping stone or used as a trivet, or a candle placed on it. I liked the larger one so much, I decided to do one that was more of a life-like sunflower. Not sure what I'm going to do with it.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=49&d=1293918692

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=50&d=1293918724

Mrs-M
1-1-11, 6:29pm
I'm in love Gina! They are nothing short of beautiful! I would love a patio table with a top in that style and design. It must take forever to make one???

Is the purple background material the medallions are laying on small glass beads? (Can you come to my house and make me one). :)

Tussiemussies
1-1-11, 6:32pm
Hi Gina, Your work is SO beautiful, you could put these anywhere and they would look perfect!

peggy
1-1-11, 6:35pm
Those are beautiful! I got some metal mesh tables at a great discount at the end of this last season and plan to tile them for the patio. I've never done this so I've been hesitating a bit, but Lowes offers a free class on saturdays so I think I will go this next saturday. I don't hope to do anything as beautiful as yours, but hopefully I can make something neat. I'm thinking of game boards like chess/checkers, and tic tac toe. Maybe parcheesi if I get really ambitious.
Did you take a class or just jump in? You really did a gorgeous job!

Gina
1-1-11, 8:21pm
Thank you all very much.

It must take forever to make one???
Is the purple background material the medallions are laying on small glass beads?
It can take a lot of time to make them, and some that have more precise patterns really do.
The purple background is an old towel - I was looking for a dark surface to photograph them on, and I often use that towel for that purpose. I'd like to get a piece of dark/black velvet one of these days.

I'm thinking of game boards like chess/checkers, and tic tac toe. Maybe parcheesi if I get really ambitious.
Did you take a class or just jump in? You really did a gorgeous job!
I had a friend who made her brother a chess/checker board and it really looked good. The squares plus a decorative boarder.

I did take a leaded glass window class years ago and made some of those. I learned to work with glass there. These I just jumped right in using the glass scraps. Ive been doing this for a number of years. There was a lot of hit and miss in the beginning. Now I've got my own system and it's easier.

Bootsie
1-1-11, 9:02pm
Wow! Beautiful!! Congrats on such great work.

dado potato
1-1-11, 9:49pm
Is your stepping stone molded portland cement? If it is non-reinforced, and someone steps on it, you may find that it breaks.

I like your designs.

kib
1-1-11, 11:06pm
Not sure what I'm going to do with it.

Make an avatar? ;) These are gorgeous!

NancyAnne
1-2-11, 10:57am
They are beautiful! I think you may have found your calling in life.

Gina
1-2-11, 1:01pm
Thanks guys. :)

Is your stepping stone molded portland cement? If it is non-reinforced, and someone steps on it, you may find that it breaks.
It's on 1/4 inch hardi backer board - I prefer to work on a smooth surface. And that definitely would not stand up to being stepped on. As it is, it does work as a trivet or other decorative feature. If I were to want to use it as a stepping stone, I would have to attach it to a 12 inch pre-made concrete block with thin-set. But that is a permanent step, so I rarely do that immediately.

I think you may have found your calling in life.
Thanks, but it's better that I leave artistic persuits in the hobby category. :)

NetTurtle
1-2-11, 1:51pm
Wow, they are gorgeous. How did you get all the pieces to FIT?

Gina
1-2-11, 8:17pm
Wow, they are gorgeous. How did you get all the pieces to FIT?
Thank you. Not sure what you mean about getting the pieces to fit. With these I didn't use a specific pattern, I just had sort of a mental image, and a few rough lines on the surface to keep it somewhat symmetrical.

I then put down what I thought would look nice. I started from the center and worked outward. I cut or nipped pieces of glass and placed them where they fit, both size and color-wise, and visually as part of the whole. As I approached the outer edges, I had to be more careful so there would be no odd pieces sticking out. There generally are always lots of extra pieces left when I finish of varying size and shape. Or if there are not enough, I cut more. It's not like a jigsaw puzzle with a specific number of pre-determined pieces.

I may be making another. If I do, I'll take some photos as I work.

Mrs-M
1-2-11, 8:39pm
Gina. Do you use a circle pattern (of some sort) when finishing the circumference? It looks so perfectly round.

Gina
1-2-11, 9:18pm
Gina. Do you use a circle pattern (of some sort) when finishing the circumference? It looks so perfectly round.

I started with a square of quarter inch hardi-backer board, got a pan lid of 12 inches diameter from the kitchen, drew around it with a pencil on the board, and 'scored' it free-hand with a utility knife/box cutter. Then I started carefully nibbling pieces off with a blunt pair of pliers. When it was basically round, I took a rough file to it and smoothed off the edges. Best done outside because of the dust. The smaller one I wanted more precise because it might go onto a store-bought stepping stone.

The larger one is not a perfect circle because I didn't have a 17 inch circle of anything and was too lazy to make an accurate template. I meaured 17 inches across the original square a few times, then drew the circle free-hand. 'Good enough' was good enough for that one.

Mrs-M
1-2-11, 10:03pm
Thanks for the info! I was thinking you could use a small nail or pin as your centre point, then attach a piece of string to the pin, then once you play around with the exact size circle you desire, attach a pencil to the other end of the string and pull the string around your work board to establish a perfect circle! A cheap man's drafting compass if you will!

KayLR
1-4-11, 6:15pm
Absolutely gorgeous, Gina!

djen
1-4-11, 7:45pm
Wow, these are beautiful! I really love them!

beckyliz
1-5-11, 3:42pm
I just want to add that those are beautiful! Thanks for sharing your talents with us.

CropCircleDancer
1-9-11, 8:37pm
beautiful!

Mrs-M
2-14-11, 7:58pm
Hi again Gina! :) I was thinking about your beautiful artwork today and thought I'd resurrect your thread to enjoy! I dream about owning something like it one day.

domestic goddess
4-3-11, 3:43pm
Gina, those are just gorgeous!! Beautiful, skilled work! Honestly. I need to stop using exclamation points now; I look hyper or something. Thanks so much for sharing your work with us.

Mrs-M
4-4-11, 2:32pm
Yes, aren't they just out of this world Domestic goddess! I can't tell you how many times I have visited and revisited this thread!

debi
4-4-11, 3:56pm
Beautiful work. I would love to have the ability to create like this. Oh well, my forte is cooking and baking. Guess I can't have it all (head hung down).