PDA

View Full Version : Back from a winter getaway

pinkytoe
2-15-14, 10:07am
Like so many others, we have had an unusually cold winter. We decided to take a drive to the Texas coast and see the whooping cranes before they leave. We did manage to see two pair of whoopers while there and they were magnificent. Apparently, they mate for life and spend a year raising their only bird child. If there are two, they kill one:(
The full moon on the ocean was lovely and walking along the beach the next day was so relaxing. The inn we stayed at was next to the fishing boats and everyday they came back at sunset loaded with sacks of oysters. We ate all the seafood we could. It was so hard to fathom that somewhere else people were struggling with ice and snow. I can see why some choose to retire to island time. Now it's back to the big city "grind".

Azure
2-15-14, 11:36am
Sounds so relaxing! Glad you got to go.

CathyA
2-15-14, 12:15pm
Sounds wonderful pinkytoe! When the sandhill cranes fly over, I keep hoping to see a whooper with them. They sometimes travel together.
Full moon over the ocean, walking on the beach, eating seafood.........sounds perfect! I'm glad you could get away for awhile.

razz
2-15-14, 8:50pm
Sounds so wonderful!
I decided that I needed a winter break so drove to a nearby large greenhouse Mediterranean garden and sat in the sunshine and got so warmed up that I had to take off several layers. Might need to do this a time or two more yet.

Sad Eyed Lady
2-15-14, 9:58pm
Good for you - sounds like a wonderful place to be during this long, cold, lonely winter (to quote George Harrison).

SteveinMN
2-16-14, 10:24am
I'm not much of a beach person -- DW could sit there in the shade and read books for hours; I'd make it maybe 20 minutes. But that vacation sounds ideal!