PDA

View Full Version : I might let go of scrapbooking

fidgiegirl
3-13-11, 11:29pm
Whenever I look at my scrapbooking stuff lately I don't feel good, or fun, or have that nice little feeling of "ooh, I get to work on this sometime!" I am too far "behind." It's all in my mind, but I have everything organized to go into albums, photos are printed so that's money already spent, I have all the supplies . . . but I never do it.

Am considering from this point forward just having albums printed of future trips and little by little I will do what I already have organized but after that, kind of phasing out scrapbooking as a hobby.

If I committed to getting it done and made it a focus, I'd make good headway. I'm fast when I do it, and do enjoy it when I actually make time to sit down and do it, especially when I do it with a girlfriend or my sister.

Anyway! It's been one of my hobbies for almost 15 years so it's sad to think of letting it go but maybe it's time, especially now that digital photobooks are sooooo easy to do and affordable, too. I do enjoy the manipulation of the materials, the creating aspect, and it's nice that the art-making aspect is also something functional.

Haha, in this post I included just as many reasons to keep doing it as reasons to discontinue. That's typical fidgie-style for ya.

iris lily
3-14-11, 12:16am
hobbies that are no longer fun need to be jettisoned. So, here's to you in following that path, if that's where this leads.

fidgiegirl
3-14-11, 12:21am
That's what I love about these boards! You get encouragement to do what others would pooh-pooh. Thanks, Iris :)

Gina
3-14-11, 12:33am
I really enjoy working with my hands and over the years I've had many hobbies. Some I won't touch for several years, but when I start again, I enjoy doing it as much as if it were the first time. Candle-making for example. I did that in college and then let it be for a good number of years. I've now settled into seeming to make candles in winter-time and still get a great kick out of it. But I seem to need long fallow periods.

I've also done pysanky (Ukranian Easter eggs). I have the supplies, can spend hours and hours on them, love doing it, then stop for a few years. I've been doing those on and (mostly) off for about 2 decades. Just love what I produce, but probably won't be doing any this year either. But know I will again some day.

I don't know how much scrapbooking supplies you have, but I know one can collect lots of gizmos, and they can cost a lot. A friend has a room just for her scrapbooking and has had parties. I go for the wine. ;)

Is it possible to store your scrapbooking things to see how it goes? That way you could have no pressure nor 'should's' about 'having to do it', or feeling so 'behind'. If you find you don't make your way back to it, then you can get rid of all the 'stuff'. Maybe instead of totally stopping, you just need permission to take a complete guilt-free break. :)

beckyliz
3-14-11, 5:29pm
I go through hot and cold periods with my scrapbooking. I think if I were starting now, I'd go all digital. I do like working with the paper texture, etc. You don't have to scrapbook chronologically, you know. A lot of people just do what they want to, and let the rest go. That might help free up your mojo somewhat; just give yourself permission to only do the pics you really love.

Mrs-M
3-14-11, 7:23pm
Fidgiegirl. "Pooh-pooh", I love that saying, never fails to raise a smile in me! :) (Thanks for that FG). I like the idea of you taking a much needed short break from it, a chance for you to adjust the cold and hot temps before jumping back in again. You've dedicated and invested so much time towards it I'd hate to see you just walk away from it all now or even short-change yourself in the way of creating shortcuts to continue. I say get out, dry off, then wait for another opportune moment to jump back in. As the saying goes- "a change is as good as a rest"! :)

JaneV2.0
3-17-11, 10:27pm
I love many of the accoutrements of scrapbooking, if not the craft itself. Even if you don't use a lot of the papers and embellishments for their original purpose, you can still use them for cardmaking, collage, tags, and even wrapping small packages.

pony mom
3-18-11, 9:58pm
Scrapbooking seems an awful lot of work to me. But I adore the paper! Every time I go to the craft store I just love looking at all the different paper patterns to choose from. As someone mentioned, you can use them for so many other things. Right now I am using some sheets to make an interesting background for my betta fish's small tank. When I get bored, I change it (and he seems to notice the change too!).

For many many years I did counted cross stitch and knitting and then stopped for a long time. Around the holidays I finally finished a Christmas one that I started over 20 years ago and it's got me wanting to continue doing them. Now I'd love to start knitting again. So maybe put your stuff away for awhile; you may want to pick it up again sometime in the future.

Gwyn
7-17-11, 1:15pm
I was seriously scrapbooking for several years, and then....family things had me set it to the side. I have cleared out a lot of my things, and was always careful not to accumulate just because it was the next great thing. I made an ABC book for my grand daughter's first birthday this spring, using photos of her for each of the pages. It was a big hit, and enough to convince me that I can play when I want to and leave it for years at a time, if I so choose. I had been running with the big dogs in the hobby and got too caught up in some of that part of it, which took away the fun after awhile. Since dropping all my magazine subscriptions and leaving all those message boards and my design team "work," it has been much more enjoyable. I do whatever I want (I always did, but worried about it more back then) and that has helped a lot. Just the other day, I took a look at the last big project I actually finished and I'm glad I did these albums. Also, our sons, now grown up with kids of their own, have taken an interest in seeing them, which they never did when I was working on them. I never did worry about getting caught up, maybe that's the wisdom of age.

Not trying to talk you out of anything, just adding an "I've been there" point of view. A few months late..LOL. I agree....if it's not fun, ditch it.

Polliwog
7-17-11, 1:54pm
Hey FG. I think you are heading in the right direction regarding scrapbooking. The digital revolution allows you to do all that and more in less time, just as creatively, and without purchasing a lot of supplies. My friend just made a book of her Ireland trip using IPhoto on her MacBook. The book is beautiful, with different backgrounds and photos displayed in a myriad of ways, and she incorporated maps, and writing. I think she paid like $20.00 to have her book printed. It is amazing. And the books are wonderful keepsakes. Just my 2 cents.

Sad Eyed Lady
7-17-11, 2:15pm
Yes, when something no longer brings you pleasure you need to back away. Sometimes for a season, sometimes for good. Just go with your feelings on this - you'll decide which is right for you.

luvstoquilt
11-7-11, 2:35pm
Our interests change over time. I gave away all my rubber stamp supplies and cross stitch supplies. I have not regretted it for even a minute. I just figured it was money gone and space reclaimed. I mainly make quilts now and knit socks.

Kestrel
11-7-11, 5:17pm
I don't have any hobbies. I've tried, but get bored, and move on ...

DH's mother "scrapbooked" for years ... back in the '40s-'70s. All the funny captions, people we don't have a clue who they are (not relatives), but of course no fancy/cutesy papers and stamps back then. I believe most of them were on the black paper, and she used white ink. We have boxes of them. We haven't looked at them in YEARS. Maybe our kids/grandkids will want them?, but I doubt it. What to do ... what to do ...

Sorry this sounds like such a negative post :-l (I'm in a "mood" right now)

fidgiegirl
11-7-11, 6:14pm
Well, that's the thing. Who's gonna care? Although I do enjoy the process of making them, and it helps me to relive my travels, etc. We don't look at ours very often, but we do check them out.

As far as DH's mother, if she is gone, well . . . I'm guessing she mostly made them for herself, no one else. Maybe an antique dealer would be interested?

JaneV2.0
11-8-11, 1:14pm
I have several strong areas of interest that I dip into and out of and never abandon entirely: fashion dolls, polymer, jewelry and beadwork, graphic arts, quilting and fabric arts, mixed media, as well as research-related areas like paranormal studies, nutrition, genealogy, and languages. As always, my advice is to follow your heart, and the genealogist in me says not to get rid of any family-related information, because I guarantee you one of your descendants will treasure it.

Mer05
11-12-11, 9:32am
Nthing set it aside. I don't think there's a power in the universe that can make me work on a hobby I've lost interest in! If you have the space/clutter tolerance, put it in a drawer or closet and revisit occasionally to dismantle the supply collection gradually.

And it's been mentioned above, but it could be the project that's the problem, not the medium. I started one cross-stitch project that just got less and less exciting - huge pattern, metallic thread, ugh. It was a while before I found my way back to needlework, and I never have revisited the 1996 project.

Float On
11-12-11, 2:35pm
Who's gonna care?

The recent memorial service we had for our friend included about 6 long tables full of scrapbooks she had made. It was nice to look through them and I can't believe the amount of work she put into them.

Personally, I never got into scrapbooking, never even made baby books for the boys. I did make a small photo album for my favorite golden retriever (including a tuft of hair and his tag). I think I did good enough with throwing photos in boxes, including wedding photos I pulled out of the album the photographer gave me. We do have fun going thru those boxes every now and then but ever since digital came along I'm not good about getting photos printed. DH keeps telling me to get everything printed and I keep telling him it's on the list.