Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ukraine/Crimea/Russia.........

So, what is your concern for the US if Russia takes over Ukraine. Are you really concerned that eventually that Russia will invade America? Seriously? And assuming that you are, does that mean you think we should go to war with Russia over Ukraine?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    So, what is your concern for the US if Russia takes over Ukraine. Are you really concerned that eventually that Russia will invade America? Seriously? And assuming that you are, does that mean you think we should go to war with Russia over Ukraine?
    You should have read to the end:

Of course, no one actually wants a new cold war with Russia. The point is that Obama's best hope of avoiding one was to be intelligently aware of Putin's ambitions and act appropriately. That response might either be to a) directly confront and check Russian hegemony or b) accept that a Russian sphere of influence exists, leave Putin to govern it and push him back whenever he tried to extend it. The worst thing to do is what Obama did when he blended those contradictory approaches: accept Russian dominance in some conflicts, resist it in others – without any clear rationale behind either action and all the while confusing everyone involved. Threatening to do something but never delivering, and so only encouraging risk taking by America's competitors.

Maybe you can remind me- how many actual wars did NATO and Russia fight and why that leads you to conclude false red lines and unlimited appeasment is a winning strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Maybe you can remind me- how many actual wars did NATO and Russia fight and why that leads you to conclude false red lines and unlimited appeasment is a winning strategy.
    This is a chess game being played on a global scale, the problem is, our Commander In Chief is playing checkers. I'd hate to think the old Soviet Bloc may be revived during this administrations tenure.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

What exactly will Russia be able to do if they take over former Soviet countries that they can't do now.

Keep advancing. Perhaps build an even bigger Iron Curtain to prevent citizens from escaping. Renew the arms race, knowing that whoever they can intimidate is less likely to resist.

The US and our allies once provided a check for that sort of thing. Now, not so much.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I don't see how Russia having more territory will increase their ability to build nuclear arms. If they want to do so they could perfectly well do so now.

I think some folks in their thinking are still intent on fighting the last war, or the one before it. Things have moved past that.

I think the larger concern at this point is if the Ukraine is going to take a military stand against Russia. Or how non pro-Russian groups in the Crimea may be treated once the Crimea divorces itself from the rest of the Ukraine. It could turn into a bloody, ugly mess, but I think direct involvement by the US or NATO is highly unlikely.

Or how non pro-Russian groups in the Crimea may be treated once the Crimea divorces itself from the rest of the Ukraine.
    but there's also how various groups will be treated within the Ukraine being that there are real neo-nazi elements in the new Ukrainian government. So it's on both sides.

Things outside our borders may affect us (although that becomes unconvincing when things much closer to home that have much more affect on us aren't addressed) but I'm entirely unconvinced the U.S. is even on the right side here. Ok there really is no right side. And if there is the U.S. probably couldn't tell the difference between it and a hole in the ground since it almost never does. But seriously backing a coup with many fascist elements, that now want to make the Ukraine a nuclear power and amping up confrontation with an existing nuclear power. What could possibly go wrong? Obama is incompetent alright, but that's because he gets involved in these disasters instead of leaving well enough alone. I mean really pushing confrontation with a nuclear power. The Obama administration is off it's rocker.
    Trees don't grow on money

I don’t see this situation as a breath of 1938. We’re not so much seeing appeasement as indifference. Nor do I buy the Cold War analogy. This is less about a clash of ideologies than the vanity and greed of a single autocrat.

It looks more to me like a return to the Great Power politics of the nineteenth century. The objectives and strategies seem closer to the Franco-Prussian or Russo-Turkish wars, with stronger powers seizing on some threadbare pretext to grab territory or concessions from a weaker neighbor; counting on other powers being too craven or unconcerned to do much other than protest.

Thread Information